Memorable games from particular playoff years

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
I apologize if this thread has been done previously.

Which games stand out as particularly entertaining or distinctive from particular past playoffs years?

Typically, such games are overtime games and/or games which occurred in the cup final, but try to make your selection irrespective of these qualities (i.e. don't select game seven of the cup finals on the basis of that attribute alone...).

I'll offer some of my choices below:

2006 -- Game 2 -- Montreal vs Carolina (HM: Game 6 -- Edmonton vs Detroit; Game 3 -- Edmonton vs Anaheim; Game 1 -- Edmonton vs Carolina)
2004 -- Game 6 -- Calgary vs Vancouver (HM: Game 6 -- Philadelphia vs Tampa Bay; Game 4 -- Montreal vs Boston)
2003 -- Game 6 -- Anaheim vs Dallas (HM: Game 6 -- New Jersey vs Ottawa; Game 1 -- Anaheim vs Detroit; Game 7 -- Minnesota vs Vancouver)
2002 -- Game 2 -- Ottawa vs Toronto (HM: Game 4 -- Montreal vs Carolina; Game 4 -- New York Islanders vs Toronto; Game 2 -- Colorado vs Detroit)
2001 -- Game 2 -- Toronto vs New Jersey
2000 -- Game 4 -- Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia
1999 -- Game 5 -- Colorado vs Dallas (HM: Game 2 -- St. Louis vs Dallas; Game 7 -- St. Louis vs Phoenix)

I've neglected to mention some other notable ones, obviously.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Game 7 -- Minnesota vs Vancouver)

One of my favorites of all time for sure.

Game 6 from that Toronto-Islander series in 2002 was a beauty. High stakes (Isles facing elimination) and plenty of physical play and fights.

That game between Montreal and Philadelphia in the 1987 Wales Conference Final where there was a full scale brawl before the game. Old time hockey!

1991 Game 7 between Edmonton and Calgary. That series is considered one of the best of all time, and this game was the pinnacle of it all.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I'll try a few years:

1978: Toronto/Islanders QF Game 7: outstanding series goes to 7th Game OT

1979: Montreal/Boston Game 7 SF: the most exciting and dramatic game I've ever seen

1980: Islanders/Philadephia Final Game 6: the dynasty begins

1981: Edmonton/Montreal 1st round Game 1: a shocking upset from the next dynasty on the horizon

1982: LA/Edmonton 1st round Game 3: not a masterpiece, but still a legendary comeback

1983: Islanders/Edmonton Final Game 1: defence beats offence

1984: Islanders/Rangers 1st round Game 5: ****ing amazing OT

1985: Quebec/Montreal QF Game 7: Stastny wins it in OT

1986: Calgary/Edmonton QF Game 7: no explanation needed

1987: Edmonton/Philadelphia Final Game 6: Most would take Isles/Caps 4OT Game 7, but I thought this game was better

1988: Jersey/Boston SF Game 4: I liked those yellow referee jerseys

1989: Calgary/Vancouver 1st round Game 7: almost one of the biggest upsets ever; almost

1990: Edmonton/Boston Final Game 1: Sometimes having a well-rested player on the bench can pay off; the Bruins never recovered

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
The 1987 4 O/T game between the Isles and Caps stands out for me because it had been an entire generation of fans since there had been anything like it. For fans that grew up in the 70's and 80's this was an entirely new experience.

The 1989 first round matchup between the Flames and Canucks produced back to back classics in game #6 and #7. Game #6 was the loudest I've ever heard a crowd.....ever! The Flames were in control and Vancouver was facing elimination when late in the 2nd period the Canucks got two late goals from the most unlikeliest of players. Rich Sutter and Garth Butcher. The place was bedlam. Game #7 back in the Saddledome was an emotional roller coaster for both sides and their fans. I think everyone in Calgary and Vancouver just knew they wouldn't see better hockey the remainder of the playoffs after that series. Calgary amazingly had enough in the tank after that matchup and went on to win the Cup.

One game that surprisingly doesn't get that much ink is the famous "fog" game in the old Buffalo Auditorium between the Flyers and Sabres in the '75 final. I doubt if Bernie Parent even saw the shot that went in in overtime.

I watched the Game #7, 1994 Final between the Rangers and Canucks in a bar in Yellowknife,Northwest Territories and it was the most emotion (both good and bad) that I've ever seen a crowd react to a game on the TV. Haven't witnessed that kind of tension since.

604flames

Feb 28, 2007
Vancouver
The 1989 first round matchup between the Flames and Canucks produced back to back classics in game #6 and #7. Game #6 was the loudest I've ever heard a crowd.....ever! The Flames were in control and Vancouver was facing elimination when late in the 2nd period the Canucks got two late goals from the most unlikeliest of players. Rich Sutter and Garth Butcher. The place was bedlam. Game #7 back in the Saddledome was an emotional roller coaster for both sides and their fans. I think everyone in Calgary and Vancouver just knew they wouldn't see better hockey the remainder of the playoffs after that series. Calgary amazingly had enough in the tank after that matchup and went on to win the Cup.
CBC is replaying Game 7 of this series on Sunday night (Monday morning), 12:30 AM. No Flames fan can ever forget Vernon's heroics in OT, and no Canucks fan can forget Joel Otto's skate winning the series.

rmchahn

Apr 13, 2007
I know I've mentioned it in other threads, but 1971 game 2 Habs vs Bruins in Boston. Habs were down 5-2 after 2 periods. They came back to win the game 7-5 and went on to win the series in 7 games. This game had to be the turning point of the series and the Habs went on to win the cup that year.

The Bruins had set all kinds of scoring records in the regular season (399 total goals, Espo 76 goals, Orr 102 assists) and were the favourites to repeat as Stanley Cup champions that year. But that game 2 against the Habs - gave the Canadiens the confidence to beat the Bruins which they did.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
One of my favorite games is Game 4 of the Philadelphia-Toronto series in 1977.

To set the scene, the Leafs, who were eliminated by the Flyers in the 1975 and 1976 playoffs, won Games 1 and 2 in Philadelphia but lost Game 3 at home when the Flyers scored in the final minute of regulation and early in OT.

In Game 4, the Leafs were up 5-2 (Lanny McDonald had four goals and five points) with about seven minutes remaining in the third period. When Toronto scored their fifth goal, referee Bruce Hood tossed two Flyers, Ross Lonsberry and Gary Dornhoefer, from the game because of unsportsmanlike conduct (excessive questioning of his calls; earlier he tossed Moose Dupont from the game).

So, the Flyers were down by three goals, had three players ejected and had penalty time to kill with under seven minutes to play in Game 4. They netted three goals, including two in the final two minutes of the third period, to tie the contest and won in the final minute of the extra period on a 45-foot blast by Reggie Leach.

The Flyers won the last four games of the series.

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
I apologize if this thread has been done previously.

Which games stand out as particularly entertaining or distinctive from particular past playoffs years?

Typically, such games are overtime games and/or games which occurred in the cup final, but try to make your selection irrespective of these qualities (i.e. don't select game seven of the cup finals on the basis of that attribute alone...).

I'll offer some of my choices below:

2006 -- Game 2 -- Montreal vs Carolina (HM: Game 6 -- Edmonton vs Detroit; Game 3 -- Edmonton vs Anaheim; Game 1 -- Edmonton vs Carolina)
2004 -- Game 6 -- Calgary vs Vancouver (HM: Game 6 -- Philadelphia vs Tampa Bay; Game 4 -- Montreal vs Boston)
2003 -- Game 6 -- Anaheim vs Dallas (HM: Game 6 -- New Jersey vs Ottawa; Game 1 -- Anaheim vs Detroit; Game 7 -- Minnesota vs Vancouver)
2002 -- Game 2 -- Ottawa vs Toronto (HM: Game 4 -- Montreal vs Carolina; Game 4 -- New York Islanders vs Toronto; Game 2 -- Colorado vs Detroit)
2001 -- Game 2 -- Toronto vs New Jersey
2000 -- Game 4 -- Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia
1999 -- Game 5 -- Colorado vs Dallas (HM: Game 2 -- St. Louis vs Dallas; Game 7 -- St. Louis vs Phoenix)

I've neglected to mention some other notable ones, obviously.

I just realized that I forgot to include Game 1 -- Buffalo vs Ottawa for the best playoff games of 2006.

Likely one of the best playoff games of all time.

shatner_rules

You're in Trouba
Nov 22, 2004
Manitoba
2 for me:

1985 Game 4 Jets vs. Flames. Jets win 5-3 and win their first ever playoff series in the NHL.

1990 Game 4 Jets vs. Oilers. Dave Ellett scores in 2OT and the Jets went up 3-1 in that series before eventually cho...losing 3 straight. I was at this game. With the "White Out" in full force it was electrifying.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I know I've mentioned it in other threads, but 1971 game 2 Habs vs Bruins in Boston. Habs were down 5-2 after 2 periods. They came back to win the game 7-5 and went on to win the series in 7 games. This game had to be the turning point of the series and the Habs went on to win the cup that year.

The Bruins had set all kinds of scoring records in the regular season (399 total goals, Espo 76 goals, Orr 102 assists) and were the favourites to repeat as Stanley Cup champions that year. But that game 2 against the Habs - gave the Canadiens the confidence to beat the Bruins which they did.

I think they were down 5-1 at one point as well. This game is my favourite game I never saw. I remember (IIRC?) praying that the Habs would get it to OT and the next announced score on CBC was 7-5 Habs. I wonder if a tape of this game exists?

rmchahn

Apr 13, 2007
I think they were down 5-1 at one point as well. This game is my favourite game I never saw. I remember (If I recall correctly?) praying that the Habs would get it to OT and the next announced score on CBC was 7-5 Habs. I wonder if a tape of this game exists?

You're absolutely correct. It was 5-1 at one point.

If you ever come across a tape of that game, or better yet, the entire series, please let me know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad