OT: Memorabilia: PensGear selling paper tickets after games

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Stumbled across this PensGear Penguins Authentics listing that offers paper tickets to this month's Jagr game after the fact for $264.

Anyone know anything about this? I’m trying to wrap my head around the idea here.

Were these tickets printed before the game or after (or on demand)? Were those seats occupied by paying customers?

The website wouldn't let me add more than 29 tickets to my cart, so it doesn’t appear that the team is willing to sell 18,178+ of them if there’s demand. So I’m curious what logic they used to define this product and limit its quantity. Are these just the occasional single seats that go unsold?

If these seats were unsold – which I think is the best-case scenario -- is it ethical for a team to print a ticket and then claim it is an “authentic” ticket to that specific game? While the seat exists regardless of if there’s a butt in it, I’d argue that a ticket doesn’t exist until a customer places an order for it. If these are being printed on demand after the fact, should they be considered to be authentic tickets if the purchaser never had an opportunity (sans time machine) to use them to attend the event?

Obviously, if the seats were sold to customers via digital tickets, then their “authentic” claim becomes even more dubious.

I'm not big into memorabilia, but I have saved all of my old ticket stubs, and I'm curious what the more hard-core collectors think about this sort of thing.

Hypothetical question: If a venue has 20,000 seats but only 6,000 people attend a game that featured a historic performance, does the memorabilia market expect there to be a maximum of 6,000 tickets available or 20,000?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Stumbled across this PensGear Penguins Authentics listing that offers paper tickets to this month's Jagr game after the fact for $264.

Anyone know anything about this? I’m trying to wrap my head around the idea here.

Were these tickets printed before the game or after (or on demand)? Were those seats occupied by paying customers?

The website wouldn't let me add more than 29 tickets to my cart, so it doesn’t appear that the team is willing to sell 18,178+ of them if there’s demand. So I’m curious what logic they used to define this product and limit its quantity. Are these just the occasional single seats that go unsold?

If these seats were unsold – which I think is the best-case scenario -- is it ethical for a team to print a ticket and then claim it is an “authentic” ticket to that specific game? While the seat exists regardless of if there’s a butt in it, I’d argue that a ticket doesn’t exist until a customer places an order for it. If these are being printed on demand after the fact, should they be considered to be authentic tickets if the purchaser never had an opportunity (sans time machine) to use them to attend the event?

Obviously, if the seats were sold to customers via digital tickets, then their “authentic” claim becomes even more dubious.

I'm not big into memorabilia, but I have saved all of my old ticket stubs, and I'm curious what the more hard-core collectors think about this sort of thing.

Hypothetical question: If a venue has 20,000 seats but only 6,000 people attend a game that featured a historic performance, does the memorabilia market expect there to be a maximum of 6,000 tickets available or 20,000?
Every ticket I ever saved from any memorable event, has just vanished into time. Unless there is a way to preserve those things, they just fade away into oblivion so...
Longest ticket I had last was from 2000 / 2001 tool concert.

Reactions: orby

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

This is exactly why I'm not a memorabilia person. It reminds me of when my friends in SF tried to convince me to get into NFTs a couple years ago.

I know this isn't the take or POV you were looking for, but this story makes my skin crawl. This market is a scam.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Every ticket I ever saved from any memorable event, has just vanished into time. Unless there is a way to preserve those things, they just fade away into oblivion so...
Longest ticket I had last was from 2000 / 2001 tool concert.

I have a ticket stub from a Judas Priest/Whitesnake/Def Leopard concert in 1980 at the Stanley theater. Oldest Pens memorabilia is a polaroid with Mike Bullard on picture day in 1981.

• Wow
Reactions: LOGiK and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I have a ticket stub from a Judas Priest/Whitesnake/Def Leopard concert in 1980 at the Stanley theater. Oldest Pens memorabilia is a polaroid with Mike Bullard on picture day in 1981.
I love it…I have a t-shirt still from Yes at the Civic Arena from 1980…it’s pretty much in shreds but I’ve hung onto it…not worth anything because of the condition

Reactions: ChaosAgent

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
This is exactly why I'm not a memorabilia person. It reminds me of when my friends in SF tried to convince me to get into NFTs a couple years ago.

I know this isn't the take or POV you were looking for, but this story makes my skin crawl. This market is a scam.
No, it kinda is the affirmation I was looking for. I've never bought memorabilia ... just always kept tickets as souvenirs for the games I've attended and have been somewhat aware of the market for some for notable milestones.

I was saddened by the elimination of paper tickets, but this as an alternative ... it's an absolute racket.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
No, it kinda is the affirmation I was looking for. I've never bought memorabilia ... just always kept tickets as souvenirs for the games I've attended and have been somewhat aware of the market for some for notable milestones.

I was saddened by the elimination of paper tickets, but this as an alternative ... it's an absolute racket.

If you buy a "ticket" at the box office before the game what do you get?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad