Memo to Trevor Lewis: Pretend it's the playoffs

They won a Cup because they were a tenacious forechecking and puck possession team with good goaltending. Aside from the goaltending, Trevor Lewis is the most tenacious forechecker on the team, which leads to puck possession.

The Kings' corsi and fenwick would be so much lower without Lewis.

Not to mention his hustle quotient is off the charts. He marked an 89.3 on the hustle meter in a game 2 weeks ago. Nobody has even posted an above 80 readout of hustle quotient before. That's unheard of. You know why? Because it is an advanced stat that I just made up but it would be cool if there was one. Lewis would more than likely lead the league in hustle quotient if there were such a stat.

LAX attack*

you know the 4th liner we had that was a good scorer? Kyle Calder.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The bottom line is that Lewis needs to produce something on offense, because he is dragging down the other wingers on every line he has been playing on, thus making the offense less effective. Yeah, he is good on D and a great PK guy, but he has to bring more to the table as a full-time NHL forward. You cannot give a guy a pass who doesn't produce something on the other side of the ice. It would be good for him to get benched for a game or two, maybe he wouldn't be pressing so much. He cannot keep the puck on this stick, has no vision, gets knocked on his butt constantly, and plays dump and chase all game long. He has the hands and speed of Craig Johnson, but a better D player than Johnson was.

Would it be acceptable to have the shortstop, who is a defensive wizz, not score one run all season? Not get one RBI? Hockey is a two-way game. Part of the reason this team had such a great run two years ago was players like Lewis and King contributing in the Stanley Cup playoffs. All four lines need to contribute. No one gets a pass. Look at the kids, all contributing in a brief stint.

I want Lewis to do well. I like his hustle and play on D and the PK. But there comes a point of no return. Every player, and I'll bet that every member of the King's coaching staff and DL feels the same way, has to contribute to the success of the team, on both ends of the ice.

LAX attack*

The bottom line is that Lewis needs to produce something on offense, because he is dragging down the other wingers on every line he has been playing on, thus making the offense less effective. Yeah, he is good on D and a great PK guy, but he has to bring more to the table as a full-time NHL forward. You cannot give a guy a pass who doesn't produce something on the other side of the ice. It would be good for him to get benched for a game or two, maybe he wouldn't be pressing so much. He cannot keep the puck on this stick, has no vision, gets knocked on his butt constantly, and plays dump and chase all game long. He has the hands and speed of Craig Johnson, but a better D player than Johnson was.

Would it be acceptable to have the shortstop, who is a defensive wizz, not score one run all season? Not get one RBI? Hockey is a two-way game. Part of the reason this team had such a great run two years ago was players like Lewis and King contributing in the Stanley Cup playoffs. All four lines need to contribute. No one gets a pass. Look at the kids, all contributing in a brief stint.

I want Lewis to do well. I like his hustle and play on D and the PK. But there comes a point of no return. Every player, and I'll bet that every member of the King's coaching staff and DL feels the same way, has to contribute to the success of the team, on both ends of the ice.

What about WM, MG, especially RR, KC and JS?

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
This is a major sports league where everyday your job is on the line and you can be bought out, waived or sent down when you are NOT producing.

This is Lewis' contract year and he has been god awful. No excuse.

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
Not to mention his hustle quotient is off the charts. He marked an 89.3 on the hustle meter in a game 2 weeks ago. Nobody has even posted an above 80 readout of hustle quotient before. That's unheard of. You know why? Because it is an advanced stat that I just made up but it would be cool if there was one. Lewis would more than likely lead the league in hustle quotient if there were such a stat.

You can downplay the stats all you like, fact is there is a very strong correlation between high corsi and fenwick and high success in the W-L columns.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

There's not much I agree with in this thread, but I do agree with the boldfaced. Even as a lineup regular, maybe it would be nice for Lewis to have a seat for a couple of games, go over video, as an observer or something. I'm sure he's done that for the defensive side of his game as I'd argue he's a flat out elite defensive forward that fits our system perfectly, but it's a total oddity that he doesn't even have a point yet. Either put him with scorers to jump-start him or bench him. But all signs are pointing to mgmt is happy to have him in his role.

That being said, looks like he'll be a cheap resign :sarcasm:

I value Lewis more than most here and I hope he's a King for life. He's our Maltby/Draper and brings a lot more value than scoring. However, he needs some scoring to keep opposing teams honest, too.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Lewis Ice time has decreased every game for the last Four games.

Looks Like Sutter is getting a little irritated as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad