WJC: Members of Team Russia kicked out of their flight

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
Good for them. A nice change from the Canadian robots.

Quite the change from how Russians (Soviets) were portrayed during the 70s and 80s. The roles have pretty much reversed. Canada standing stoically on the blueline after a big win, and the Russians celebrating wildly.

No one got hurt, and while I don't think its a great idea to cause a disturbance on an airplane, I might be inclined to blame Russia's planners, rather than the kids. They deserved their moment.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
In America, I think the drinking age is too high, and the driving age is too low.

18-20 year olds are going to drink, no matter what the law says. If it's illegal, they're going to be more likely to do it covertly, and to binge drink. If they start drinking in this way after they already have a license and a car and have been driving for a few years, that's a dangerous situation.

Better to have these kids learn how to drink first. Let them drink legally so that they can be taught to drink with restraint and moderation. Then let them drive later.

Exactly. I used to run an ethnic youth organization in Toronto and we had upwards of 150 U.S. kids come out annually to our biggest events. I can say without a doubt that the American kids had a much harder time drinking withing reason than the Canadians of the same age. They took everything to excess, and were always the ones losing teeth after doing something ridiculously stupid while under the influence. While I'm generally a very law abiding citizen and think laws should be followed, I just can't bring myself to respect archaic U.S. drinking/age of majority laws that discriminate against people who are adults in every other way. Why should adults who've been drinking legally and responsibly at home for up to three years stop when they touch down in the majority of U.S. states?

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I just listened to the Buffalo local news and they had an interview with someone on the flight who said the Russians just looked exhausted and weren't unruly in any way at all. They were taking pictures with people and well behaved according to this lady. She said you could ask anyone on the plane and none of them would say the kids were unruly.

As far as people taking shots at the Canadian media, I haven't really seen a negative slant toward the Russians in any of the articles I've read. They've talked about the Russians not being able to board because its news, but the articles I've read haven't been condemning in any way. People are giving the Russian team their due.

I don't understand why people still feel a need to take shots at Canadian fans or media.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
I wonder if these "impeccable" sources are really that impeccable. First off, most of the "witnesses" just so happen to be Canadian fans. Yes you heard me - Canadian FANS! This is regarding the criticism against the hotel and other places at which the Russians allegedly were heavily drinking. Apparently they, the Canadians, witnessed the drunk rivals drinking at illegal age. And they also saw how they shot vodka over and over again. I mean, they are Russians so this would not surprise. But still... What a surprise the witnesses sympathize with the loser team.

And as for the whole "to drunk to fly"-spectacle, I believe only a few were that drunk/hung over, but they had to throw them all out the flight - for safety precautions and due to the fact that they are indeed a team. But the (Canadian) media wants you to think that the whole damn team drank to their bones and were acting like drunk idiots. I am just waiting for a terrified, fat Canadian old timer who tells us her story of this horrific event:

"Oh my, oh my! It was HORRIBLE! The Russians were eyeballing me and flirting with me. They hit everyone they saw! And then they said they were gonna forcibly feed me with Vodka!! I'll never forget those EVIL EYES..."

;);)

http://www.thestar.com/videozone/917336--russians-get-kicked-off-flight
Looks like they were heavily drinking. But I don't think that it is getting a ton of negative press in Canada. I think a lot of people are happy to see that level of enthusisium.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Does anyone think Pronger is a "good Canadian boy?"

I bet most people think he's a big Canadian D-Bag. Team Russia rules lol.

Just pointing out that a 19-year old Chris Pronger was thrown in the holding tank in Buffalo after he and his a bunch of his fellow Whalers went out and had too much to drink at a local club. Ironically, Pierre McGuire was the ass't. coach out with the team and also got in trouble for it...

Smokies430

Nov 21, 2009
I'm sure all they were doing was making sure they were properly hydrated for the long plane ride home

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Rules are rules, I guess, but big props for a group of kids (that would be considered underage "irresponsible minors" in this part of the world) having themselves a bunch of celebratory booze but remaining, by all accounts, "well behaved" and not at all "disorderly" (not even one report of celebrations getting out of control!?) I'm not sure I (or any of my hockey/drinking buddies when I was underage) would have even been able to walk or answer immigration questions if I/we had just been a part of what they pulled off. In fact, I think we got into way more trouble when we were part of the Tournoi Mondiale in Quebec oh so many years ago, and we were what, like, 13/14?!?

Nabokov20

Karlsson for Chuck
Sep 21, 2009
Ottawa
In America, I think the drinking age is too high, and the driving age is too low.

18-20 year olds are going to drink, no matter what the law says. If it's illegal, they're going to be more likely to do it covertly, and to binge drink. If they start drinking in this way after they already have a license and a car and have been driving for a few years, that's a dangerous situation.

Better to have these kids learn how to drink first. Let them drink legally so that they can be taught to drink with restraint and moderation. Then let them drive later.

Interesting train of thought.

That being said, the problem with drinking and driving among the youth is more due to the fact they feel invincible to the potential outcomes than anything else. Allowing kids to drink at a younger age, in retrospect to driving, would lead to a greater slue of issues -- mostly culturally, imo.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
My friend says they were partying it up at a bar called "The Steer" in Buffalo tonight.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Same with out here in Alberta! By the time I was 21 I was done with binge drinking!

same here, by the time I turned 21 - I was partied out and never had alcohol problems since, it's not the laws it's the upbringin and education that work, but mostly self-experience:yo:

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
As an aside, there was a discussion piece on the topic of initial drinking age in the NYTimes a few months ago. Pretty much anyone who was still current said that the younger people start drinking, the more issues the society has with alcohol. When people start younger they tend to have much higher rates of abuse later on and have more problems generally with respect to alcohol.

You and your friends might have done fine, but that doesn't mean that you are a good representative of society. This is a question for statistical analysis, and as far as I know, the scholarship on this area suggests that early drinking ages are bad for society.

That said, there is nothing wrong with breaking the rules (or laws) every once in a while.

mike1262

Oct 9, 2010
hahahaha oh god they were at The Steer??? Well one thing the Russians and I now have in common is that the Steer has made for messy early mornings for the both of us. Good (hazy) memories at UB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->