WJC: Members of Team Russia kicked out of their flight

ErsG1

Jan 1, 2011
I don't, who hasn't gone underage drinking?

A group of kids from a professional organization (let alone government-funded), under their watch no less - being kicked off a plane for something you could be potentially be arrested and withheld overnight for (public intoxication), that's something that probably wouldn't sit well with a lot of people. Namely, parents.

Consider this though. The drinking age in Russia is 18, so in their minds, theyre not drinking underage

Hockeynomad

Sep 10, 2007
Toronto
Can't wait to see what Cherry has to say about Canada losing. Who wants to bet that he'll trash talk the Russians and give them zero credit for the win, while giving the Canadian's full credit for "never giving up" and sympathize with them for losing the game that we held 3-0 going into the third?

I'm sure on his daily radio show, The Grapeline, he will have stuff to say.

You can catch it Friday at 8 AM EDT at FAN 590 locally in Toronto, or http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air

Stay tuned, tomorrow.

Its gonna be a bute commentary. :nod:

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Russian hockey team still in Buffalo, plans to leave Friday

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/world-juniors/article303914.ece

After lounging around the baggage claim area when denied boarding to the Delta flight, the source said they were last seen boarding buses for a local hotel. The source said airport workers were called to clean up vomit in the airport's bathrooms

The party had apparently gotten under way Wednesday night. Canadian fans returning home Thursday afternoon without the victory in the World Junior Hockey Championships described a celebratory scene in the bar area of the Adam's Mark after the game.

"We saw the party here last night," Toronto resident Tom DeFrancesco recalled. "They were drinking in the corner of the bar. They were wrapped in flags ... [and] were having fun."

"They were all having a good time, singing," said Toronto resident Spencer Rubin, who said a majority of the team was in the bar area around 1 a.m. "They had a blast. They were pretty excited."

They were definitely intoxicated, that's for sure," Hall said. "They were so drunk they had to carry a couple of the guys onto the bus."

Hall said the ride to the airport was raucous, with Russian players honking the bus horn. He said after unloading the team's equipment at the airport around 4 a.m., he had to wait around because one of the players had difficulty leaving the bus.

"I was glad to get rid of them," Hall said.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Your preachin to the choir buddy. Even being over 21 I still think its to high. 19 is the Age I think it should be.

In America, I think the drinking age is too high, and the driving age is too low.

18-20 year olds are going to drink, no matter what the law says. If it's illegal, they're going to be more likely to do it covertly, and to binge drink. If they start drinking in this way after they already have a license and a car and have been driving for a few years, that's a dangerous situation.

Better to have these kids learn how to drink first. Let them drink legally so that they can be taught to drink with restraint and moderation. Then let them drive later.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
They were celebrating a huge tournament win. Good for them. They deserved to enjoy their last bit of time together as a team.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I don't, who hasn't gone underage drinking?

A group of kids from a professional organization (let alone government-funded), under their watch no less - being kicked off a plane for something you could be potentially be arrested and withheld overnight for (public intoxication), that's something that probably wouldn't sit well with a lot of people. Namely, parents.

Clearly, your point of view is in the minority.

But I agree with you, at least. Simply, because now that I have age and experience on my side I don't think the amount of alcohol you consume makes anything more "epic" than the victory itself. Mind you, I am 40, so I completely understand that 15 years ago my response would have been different.

I've done my share of drinking, underage and otherwise...but now as someone who has crossed over and become a parent, I wouldn't appreciate sending my teenage son or daughter with his coaches and chaperones, winning a championship, and this being the result...

It has nothing to do with ruining their celebration, and everything to do with being a parent of an athlete that is on the verge of becoming elite. Permissiveness is (in my humble opinion) what is killing our society. No one is accountable for anything anymore, and anyone who sets boundaries is a hater or someone who "doesn't know how to have fun".

The party could have waited or taken a different form so no one gets in trouble. Simple as that.

Oilbender

Mar 6, 2008
If it's good enough for "good Canadian boy" Chris Pronger, it's good enough for Team Russia.

Does anyone think Pronger is a "good Canadian boy?"

I bet most people think he's a big Canadian D-Bag. Team Russia rules lol.

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
Don't know if it is true or not but SovSport gives out a story that Russian players boarded the plane fine but were loud and after someone yelled Russia-Champion an american lady complained to the crew and the decision was made to unload the players.

AbsolonMoreau*

Its tottaly expected though. The American and the Canadians if they won would've drank aswell.

The Americans should really lower their drinking age. 21 is much too high.

No it isn't, people need to think about kids that are driving at the age of 18...let them drink more drunk drivers. Plus the brain isn't capable of making proper decisions until 21 for normal people, later for others.

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
Channel 4 news said they were good (for the most part) and just wanted to sleep and they took pics with the fellow passengers. My mother is flying out at 7 am tomorrow. I hope she sees them!

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
I wonder if these "impeccable" sources are really that impeccable. First off, most of the "witnesses" just so happen to be Canadian fans. Yes you heard me - Canadian FANS! This is regarding the criticism against the hotel and other places at which the Russians allegedly were heavily drinking. Apparently they, the Canadians, witnessed the drunk rivals drinking at illegal age. And they also saw how they shot vodka over and over again. I mean, they are Russians so this would not surprise. But still... What a surprise the witnesses sympathize with the loser team.

And as for the whole "to drunk to fly"-spectacle, I believe only a few were that drunk/hung over, but they had to throw them all out the flight - for safety precautions and due to the fact that they are indeed a team. But the (Canadian) media wants you to think that the whole damn team drank to their bones and were acting like drunk idiots. I am just waiting for a terrified, fat Canadian old timer who tells us her story of this horrific event:

"Oh my, oh my! It was HORRIBLE! The Russians were eyeballing me and flirting with me. They hit everyone they saw! And then they said they were gonna forcibly feed me with Vodka!! I'll never forget those EVIL EYES..."

;);)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In America, I think the drinking age is too high, and the driving age is too low.

18-20 year olds are going to drink, no matter what the law says. If it's illegal, they're going to be more likely to do it covertly, and to binge drink. If they start drinking in this way after they already have a license and a car and have been driving for a few years, that's a dangerous situation.

Better to have these kids learn how to drink first. Let them drink legally so that they can be taught to drink with restraint and moderation. Then let them drive later.

As far as I'm concerned, there should be a universal age of adulthood.

Just pick a number and go with it.

Rent a car? 18/19/20 whatever.

Join the army? 18/19/20 whatever.

Drink?

Have sex?

It's silly to have different measures for different activity.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Whatever, the Russian media won't jump all over them like the super PC Canadian media would if this was the Canadian team. The Russian players could care less, they are not ashamed of their culture.

Either the media doesn't want to make Canada look bad, or they just dont have good sources (its not like Pierre Macguire is getting an invite or anything), but the Canadian players party just as hard during and after these tournaments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad