WJC: Members of Team Russia kicked out of their flight

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
I don't, who hasn't gone underage drinking?

A group of kids from a professional organization (let alone government-funded), under their watch no less - being kicked off a plane for something you could be potentially be arrested and withheld overnight for (public intoxication), that's something that probably wouldn't sit well with a lot of people. Namely, parents.

1. I, for one have never had an underage drink (or drink at all for that matter).

2. For those who see them getting kicked off the plane as overkill, I would be very uncomfortable getting on a plane with 30 drunks who couldn't even be communicated to in general (I'm sure some speak a bit of English)- (large crowd)- Fewer, I'd feel much better. Especially when they're already puking in garbage cans before they got on.

3. The drinking age should be lowered to 19 (I agree about being able to die but not drink being stupid). This way, everybody but Evgeny Kuznetsov could drink, lol.

4. Laws matter. You have to respect the jurisdiction you're in. Not that I'm a druggie but I would never go to Malaysia (where I lived for a year) with a smidgen of any type of drug. Sucks but it's the law (and yes, this is an extreme example)

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
Um why can't they be arrested? They don't get special treatment for being hockey players.

Because they technically travel as diplomats

Go try and arrest them and they will laugh in your face. This sint Italy where our diplomats will stand ina line for 9 months and ask to see one of our citizens being held.

Russia tends to be direct and slightly hostile if you hold one of their athletes

Humphrey*

2. For those who see them getting kicked off the plane as overkill, I would be very uncomfortable getting on a plane with 30 drunks who couldn't even be communicated to in general (I'm sure some speak a bit of English)- (large crowd)- Fewer, I'd feel much better. Especially when they're already puking in garbage cans before they got on.
I don't think anyone has suggested that them getting "kicked off the plane" was overkill.

And I'm pretty sure they never boarded the plane to begin with.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think the age part was the big deal here, but rather that people on a flight would never want to sit next to 30 loud drunks, so they had no choice. But I'm not one to judge, they deserve to celebrate bigtime, but yeah teenagers and alcohol is not a match made in heaven. ;)

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
I don't think anyone has suggested that them getting "kicked off the plane" was overkill.

And I'm pretty sure they never boarded the plane to begin with.

If they did that, then Americans kids would have no reason to go to Canada anymore:naughty:

Anyways, they deserved to celebrate but kicking them off the flight is too much.

Sorry, I was assuming this quote implied overkill. And you're right. They were denied boarding.

I do think as an outsider, it's pretty hilarious, though. And 6 am flight the next day...stupid.

Airport spokesman C. Douglas Hartmayer says all 32 or so members of the Russian contingent were asked to get off a Delta flight headed to Atlanta after boarding for takeoff early Thursday morning.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=898712

The first article I read via yahoo.

Last edited:

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
doncherry_471.jpg

"This is absolutely shameful by the Russkies, our good ol' Canadian boys would have known how to behave!"

zman

Oct 10, 2005
Maryland, USA
I've been on a flight before where at least 20 rowdy guys were headed to a weekend football game (probably a bit drunk when they boarded too). It was definitely an uncomfortable feeling and their behavior was unpredictable. The mob mentality can get ugly if someone looks at them wrong.

Anyway, good for the Russians. They just made it more inconvenient for themselves to get home but they probably enjoy dragging on the partying and comraderie, etc..
They should just take the 7 hour bus ride from Buffalo to JFK and fly directly from there. They could party themselves out on the bus and sleep it off on the plane to Russia.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
doncherry_471.jpg

"This is absolutely shameful by the Russkies, our good ol' Canadian boys would have known how to behave!"

Can't wait to see what Cherry has to say about Canada losing. Who wants to bet that he'll trash talk the Russians and give them zero credit for the win, while giving the Canadian's full credit for "never giving up" and sympathize with them for losing the game that we held 3-0 going into the third?

pouskin74*

How dumb this all seems..you can serve your country and die at 17 years old:shakehead, but god forbid you have a drink before your 21. Growing up in south wales dad every once in a while gave us a little beer. But look how big we have become that we can throw some one off a plan cause they appear to be drunk, or even are drunk. What were they going to do, take over the plane? What were the pilots jealous that they could not be drunk?:help: Way to go buffalo.

Humphrey*

How dumb this all seems..you can serve your country and die at 17 years old:shakehead, but god forbid you have a drink before your 21. Growing up in south wales dad every once in a while gave us a little beer. But look how big we have become that we can throw some one off a plan cause they appear to be drunk, or even are drunk. What were they going to do, take over the plane? What were the pilots jealous that they could not be drunk?:help: Way to go buffalo.
30 drunk hockey players boarding a plane is a recipe for disaster. I'm sure you can see the logic behind this.

And what does Buffalo have to do with this? Do you think the city of Buffalo tells an airline what to do?

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
They probably saw Fox's football commercials and thought they could go through a special line for championship winners

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad