Melnyk's Townhall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Unfortunately, there is none. Deoends on who you know and how close they are to the situation.

However, you can refer to the locker room uber incident rumour. Look at Melnyk's track record and choose to believe it or not. Unrepairable damage was done there.

You can't make a serious argument citing the Uber thing... which the tweeter admitted was bunk.. It was discussed a lot on here when it happened.
Don't get my stance wrong. I am not defening Melnyk... He is an ass but .. there is enough stuff that is real to discredit him vs speculation, opinions and citing stuff that was made up

Reactions: coladin and Sensung

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
You can't make a serious argument citing the Uber thing... which the tweeter admitted was bunk.. It was discussed a lot on here when it happened.
Don't get my stance wrong. I am not defening Melnyk... He is an ass but .. there is enough stuff that is real to discredit him vs speculation, opinions and citing stuff that was made up

Again, I'm not going to get into that, whatswtrue and what's not. What I'm saying is Karlsson doesn't want to stay under current ownership, just like Anselmi left because of "the craziness" (referring to Melnyk). So regardless of who heard what, how credible your sources are (and for the record, I believe mine to be extremely credible), the point is, thatstthe reason and the only reason he doesn't want to be here.

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
You should read up on the revenue sharing agreement, it's pretty interesting, and isn't quite as clear cut as you think.

The top 10 teams contribute money into the fund, with the amount being based on the difference in revenues from the 11 ranked team. Apparently the top 3 teams pay the vast majority of the amount into the fund. By the looks of it most teams "cost money" while 3 franchises pay the lion's share of redistributed wealth.

Also...

Here's the kicker that you'll want to know; ALL PLAYOFF TEAMS KICK IN 35% OF THEIR HOME GATE INCOME TO THE FUND. That means that last year not only did our team only get 65% of playoff earnings, but they most definitely CONTRIBUTED into the revenue sharing fund.

Did we kick in more than we received? Did we receive? One thing is clear, we're in the middle of the pack and hardly deserve the label "they cost money" unless you're referring to two thirds of the league, and even then you have to consider our playoff contributions, especially last year.

In my few minutes of research I didn't find a definitive list of sharing recipients and amounts, I wider if the league releases this info.

It was confirmed during the town halls

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Again, imInot going to get into that, whatswtrue and what's not. What I'm saying is Karlsson doesn't want to stay under current ownership, just like Anselmi left because of "the craziness" (referring to Melnyk). So regardless of who heard what, how credible your sources are (and for the record, I believe mine to be extremely credible), the point is, thatstthe reason and the only reason he doesn't want to be here.
The guy who wrote the Uber story was a teenager who literally gloats to everyone in the same teeet that he made something up that the hockey world believed.

But yes, I'm in the camp that thinks EK wants out

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You should read up on the revenue sharing agreement, it's pretty interesting, and isn't quite as clear cut as you think.

The top 10 teams contribute money into the fund, with the amount being based on the difference in revenues from the 11 ranked team. Apparently the top 3 teams pay the vast majority of the amount into the fund. By the looks of it most teams "cost money" while 3 franchises pay the lion's share of redistributed wealth.

Also...

Here's the kicker that you'll want to know; ALL PLAYOFF TEAMS KICK IN 35% OF THEIR HOME GATE INCOME TO THE FUND. That means that last year not only did our team only get 65% of playoff earnings, but they most definitely CONTRIBUTED into the revenue sharing fund.

Did we kick in more than we received? Did we receive? One thing is clear, we're in the middle of the pack and hardly deserve the label "they cost money" unless you're referring to two thirds of the league, and even then you have to consider our playoff contributions, especially last year.

In my few minutes of research I didn't find a definitive list of sharing recipients and amounts, I wider if the league releases this info.
Melnyk himself stated we were receiving from the fund.

It is Melnyk, so his word only means so much.

Reactions: Sensung

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Again, imInot going to get into that, whatswtrue and what's not. What I'm saying is Karlsson doesn't want to stay under current ownership, just like Anselmi left because of "the craziness" (referring to Melnyk). So regardless of who heard what, how credible your sources are (and for the record, I believe mine to be extremely credible), the point is, thatstthe reason and the only reason he doesn't want to be here.

@mysens ; A member of the Ottawa elite; has direct access to Karlsson through his elite circle and he says Karlsson wants to stay, if I understood correcty.. Someone else on here also told me about someone they knew that said that Management wanted to move Karlsson, Now you say this, which is perfectly plausible, but... You see what I am getting at.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I think what SOA is saying is that the Uber thing isn't a "what's true, what's not" thing. The guy who tweeted it admitted to making the whole thing up. There's lots of possible stuff to use as ammunition.

Including things as evidence that are known to be false diminishes the credibility of the entire post.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Unfortunately, there is none. Depends on who you know and how close they are to the situation.

However, you can refer to the locker room uber incident rumour. Look at Melnyk's track record and choose to believe it or not. Unrepairable damage was done there.

Also, what's a Tnouc?
Pretty sure the Uber thing was debunked. The guy who tweeted it confessed to making it up as a joke i think

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
The guy who wrote the Uber story was a teenager who literally gloats to everyone in the same teeet that he made something up that the hockey world believed.
Good for the young lad. If some people are stupid enough to believe such a ridiculous story, I’d have fun with it too. Still can’t believe so many bought it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Melnyk himself stated we were receiving from the fund.

It is Melnyk, so his word only means so much.

Oh I'm not arguing whether we do or not, I just thought the actual agreement was pretty neat read, and was surprised to see that all playoff revenues were automatically garnished.

Also, if the revenue sharing pot isn't reached, the league kicks in the rest apparently. It seems like a much more comprehensive and robust plan than pre 2013. It's actually pretty sweet to keep everyone competitive.

The full numbers year to year would be hella interesting, but I doubt the league would be ok sharing that stuff with the public.

If i'm reading it right it looks like 2/3 of the league seems to get at least some funds on a sliding scale, unless it's offset by playoff revenues.

Reactions: Heady Topper

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
@mysens ; A member of the Ottawa elite; has direct access to Karlsson through his elite circle and he says Karlsson wants to stay, if I understood correcty.. Someone else on here also told me about someone they knew that said that Management wanted to move Karlsson, Now you say this, which is perfectly plausible, but... You see what I am getting at.

Sure thing, I understand that. LetsLsee what happens.

And to be clear, even if Melnyk stays on as owner for the next little while, I hope that somehow I'm wrong about Karlsson leaving. Don't think I am though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Oh I'm not arguing whether we do or not, I just thought the actual agreement was pretty neat read, and was surprised to see that all playoff revenues were automatically garnished.

Also, if the revenue sharing pot isn't reached, the league kicks in the rest apparently. It seems like a much more comprehensive and robust plan than pre 2013. It's actually pretty sweet to keep everyone competitive.

The full numbers year to year would be hella interesting, but I doubt the league would be ok sharing that stuff with the public.
I'd be lying if I said I understood even the slightest about it, or anything on that end of the sport, I had no clue whether we were recieving or contributing until Melnyk weighed in.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'd be lying if I said I understood even the slightest about it, or anything on that end of the sport, I had no clue whether we were recieving or contributing until Melnyk weighed in.

When I did a quick google search, most articles were about the flames slipping into receiving payments. Seems it's a big deal?

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018

If i'm reading it right it looks like 2/3 of the league seems to get at least some funds on a sliding scale, unless it's offset by playoff revenues.

Yes it is interesting, but per my point, I don't think other owners are too pleased with what Melnyk's doing in Ottawa.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
It really isn't out of the realm of possibility with Melnyk, which is the sad part and why it grew legs.
I still think it’s ridiculous to even possibly consider such a story to be true. For one, why would anyone seriously believe that EK walks around with a Sens corporate credit card in his pocket?

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
The question about a maple leaf on the jersey that was asked sounded scripted too. The fact that PD brought it up on radio the next day as one of the best feedback he got out of the whole thing made it extra suspect.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yes it is interesting, but per my point, I don't think other owners are too pleased with what Melnyk's doing in Ottawa.

Well I know that in general we're not, but I don't really know what the other owner's are about. I mean you hear about some of them here and there, but I have no idea what each guy is doing behind the scenes to enamour or piss each other off. Certainly the guy in Carolina has been in the news, and Edmonton's a few years back as well.

I'm not sure how many Billionaires would come across positively overall to the lay person! Seems like it takes a certain series of character traits to amass that amount of wealth for yourself, to put it kindly ;)

It would be nice if our guy would play quietly in the back ground, in Barbados....

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The question about a maple leaf on the jersey that was asked sounded scrioted too. The fact that PD brought it up on radio the next day as one of the best feedback he got out of the whole thing made it extra suspect.
I don't get that... You have a townhall meeting open to STHs only ... and the franchise seems to have some very serious issues regarding funding, Karlsson, rebuild, retool, Lebreton and you go in and ask a question about a fn logo or the prominence of a maple leaf symbol .... I just don't get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad