Melnyk's Townhall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
I wonder what damage he'd be inflicting to himself in terms of franchise value when he loses Karlsson and potentially botches the LeBreton deal...

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I wonder what damage he'd be inflicting to himself in terms of franchise value when he loses Karlsson and potentially botches the LeBreton deal...
I can't believe his partners would let him screw this up. There's too much money to be made by everyone.

That's why I think he'll be uhh, encouraged, to take on a partner and competent CEO/president.

Reactions: Sensung

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Eugene Melnyk is fretting publicly about whether his own proposal for LeBreton Flats is any good and he’s not just blowing smoke.

Reevely: Melnyk's right to be worried about financing LeBreton project with condos

And he hopes to use hysteria from Sens fans to sweeten his deal with the city and his partners or the parties looking to buy the Sens.

Lebreton will go ahead with or without Eugene.
Lebreton will have an NHL team, with or without Eugene.

Here's hoping this blight on our community packs it in before he has done even more damage.

Last edited:

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Didn't the media print a picture of the Owner morphed together with the POTUS in yesterday's paper?

They did, yes! A fair and funny comparison since both said the media spun how small their crowds were, both cry fake newsz both punish the media by revoking some accessibility in an attempt to control information, both have fired staff to make sure they surround themselves with yes men (and women) and both, you know, that other thing we talked about :nod:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
And he hopes to use hysteria from Sens fans to sweeten his deal with the city and his partners or the parties looking to buy the Sens.

Lebreton will go ahead with or without Eugene.
Lebreton will have an NHL team, with or without Eugene.

Here's hoping this blight on our community packs it in before he has done even more damage.

IF EM walks away from Lebreton, which I don't think for a minute he will , and the NCC hands the project over to the DSCLS group.......... why would they go ahead and build a NHL arena, not having a franchise to play there?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
IF EM walks away from Lebreton, which I don't think for a minute he will , and the NCC hands the project over to the DSCLS group.......... why would they go ahead and build a NHL arena, not having a franchise to play there?
Iam sure it wont come to that,there is far too much money at stake....If EM walks away ,then iam sure he will be in front of the NHL,s BOD explaining why ....They dont want to lose their share

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Iam sure it wont come to that,there is far too much money at stake....If EM walks away ,then iam sure he will be in front of the NHL,s BOD explaining why ....They dont want to lose their share

The other NHL owners are for sure so annoyed with him too. HesH costing them money

Reactions: topshelf15

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The other NHL owners are for sure so annoyed with him too. HesH costing them money

Technically, I would say the Islanders, Coyotes and Lightning are costing the owners money. Ottawa is revenue neutral and a playoff run craving revenue machine.

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Technically, I would say the Islanders, Coyotes and Lightning are costing the owners money. Ottawa is revenue neutral and a playoff run craving revenue machine.

No, they get money from the revenue sharing plan. They cost money.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
A full season of EK65, Duchene, and Stone gives Ottawa 3 true impact players, if Andy turns around (think he will, our biggest need for success) then that gives us 4 impact players. With Chabot, Hoffman, Dzingel, Pageau, and others this is a playoff bound team. Top-2 pick is a massive bonus (i.e. more rounds in the playoffs). Sign the Big-3, and work hard to trim the fat elsewhere.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Rephrase? He's costing them potential?

Arguably, in the short to medium term, by investing more in the team, he could be a net contributor, rather than neutral.

Definitely, in the long term, if he lets Lebreton fail, he will have cost the 30(+1?) other owners quite a lot of money. They would not be happy with that. That's why I speculate that he will be encouraged/required to take on a partner and high-level manger(s) to make sure it gets over the finish line successfully.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

A dozen teams do, not just Ottawa, and it is a sliding scale of what one team gets. The closer to the middle, the less you get.

The Lightning have an operating income of -18M, Islander -86M, can't remember the Coyotes. Ottawa had Operating income of 10M.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A full season of EK65, Duchene, and Stone gives Ottawa 3 true impact players, if Andy turns around (think he will, our biggest need for success) then that gives us 4 impact players. With Chabot, Hoffman, Dzingel, Pageau, and others this is a playoff bound team. Top-2 pick is a massive bonus (i.e. more rounds in the playoffs). Sign the Big-3, and work hard to trim the fat elsewhere.

Optimistic... the depth is not there to sustain down time from any of our key players. I agree with the direction but I am not convinced we have the horses to be a playoff team

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018

Agreed, but unfortunately, it is widely believed that the reason Karlsson won't sign here isn't money (although that would likely be an issue as well), but because he doesn't want to play for Melnyk. Had Melnyk sold however, we likely would've been able to keep him

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
A dozen teams do, not just Ottawa, and it is a sliding scale of what one team gets. The closer to the middle, the less you get.

The Lightning have an operating income of -18M, Islander -86M, can't remember the Coyotes. Ottawa had Operating income of 10M.

I didn't say it was just Ottawa. But they're already costing other teams money. All this alienating fans, players and staff business has affected attendance costing them even more. Now if he botches the downtown arena, they'll be calling for his head

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Check you numbers. Looks like you forgot some decimals

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Agreed, but unfortunately, it is widely believed that the reason Karlsson won't sign here isn't money (although that would likely be an issue as well), but because he doesn't want to play for Melnyk. Had Melnyk sold however, we likely would've been able to keep him

Not to pull a Tnouc, but I'd love to see a concrete reference to this beyond "I wouldn't want to work him, so why would Erik?"

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You dont really expect Count to be realistic, do you?

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Not to pull a Tnouc, but I'd love to see a concrete reference to this beyond "I wouldn't want to work him, so why would Erik?"

Unfortunately, there is none. Depends on who you know and how close they are to the situation.

However, you can refer to the locker room uber incident rumour. Look at Melnyk's track record and choose to believe it or not. Unrepairable damage was done there.

Also, what's a Tnouc?

Reactions: coladin

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

That is pure speculation and derived opinion .. . Some of us may like to paint that picture but I don't think anyone other than EK knows how much that will factor in to his decision... From his perspective it could also as easily be the devil you know vs the one you don't.

Reactions: coladin

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

You should read up on the revenue sharing agreement, it's pretty interesting, and isn't quite as clear cut as you think.

The top 10 teams contribute money into the fund, with the amount being based on the difference in revenues from the 11 ranked team. Apparently the top 3 teams pay the vast majority of the amount into the fund. By the looks of it most teams "cost money" while 3 franchises pay the lion's share of redistributed wealth.

Also...

Here's the kicker that you'll want to know; ALL PLAYOFF TEAMS KICK IN 35% OF THEIR HOME GATE INCOME TO THE FUND. That means that last year not only did our team only get 65% of playoff earnings, but they most definitely CONTRIBUTED into the revenue sharing fund.

Did we kick in more than we received? Did we receive? One thing is clear, we're in the middle of the pack and hardly deserve the label "they cost money" unless you're referring to two thirds of the league, and even then you have to consider our playoff contributions, especially last year.

In my few minutes of research I didn't find a definitive list of sharing recipients and amounts, I wider if the league releases this info.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Weird that TB spends to the cap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad