Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Could the Redblacks be what caused the decline in attendance these last few years? Got to imagine some people willing to spend money on a sporting event might have switched since the return of the CFL. One team is new, exciting and reached the Cup final in their 2nd season, winning it in their 3rd? The other is old, been inconsistent and only been to the main show once.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
You are amazingly relentless with that “I know all those people and their family” thing... to the point that it’s become juvenile. Who, in their right professional mind would carry on like this? I mean... seriously? Do you actually hear yourself talk/write?

And on the point of another poster who mentions that you never answer his questions, he’s absolutely right! In another of your apparent “bragging rights” you stated you deal with multiple charitable organizations. I’v been in the not for profit sector for over 15 years. I asked you before who you deal with and you failed to answer that, among several other questions people ask you. When and if you ever answer, it’s constantly irrelevant to the question that was asked.

You’re like, well... a child.

Apologies to all children worldwide!
I really do not need to justify myself or vindicate myself to some poster on a hockey forum. I can assure you, you have crossed paths with myself. I also am very secure in my world and surroundings that I do not need to tell you anything. Its quite funny that your insecurities shine right through your posts with your obsessive need for me to tell you who I am!! Wow, who do you think you are that I need to answer your question about who I deal with. If I divulge what charities I deal with, you may just figure it out, which, I do not need that type of attention,. And yes, I love children, without them, we have no future. As far as hearing myself talk....yes, many times over, on a podium, with a microphone as I explain why I along with my family chose that charity to donate to. :)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Simple question for you, what do you think ticket sales would have been this year if the team capitalized on the revenue windfall from playoffs/expansion and the exciting playoff run and ran a publicity campaign making a big deal about how they were going to spend more money to push the Sens over the top after being "one goal from the cup final"?

The fanbase has no hope. HOPE sells tickets!!!

that's a good question and I have no idea what the answer to that might be

it's a hypothetical question

there could be a potential range of fan responses

what do you think would have happened and why?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Just like I thought.....right over your head like that Boeing 737 flying over your house.
I read and ignored your red herring.

When you answer my question I'll discuss the oh so complicated point you were TRYING to make.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I really do not need to justify myself or vindicate myself to some poster on a hockey forum. I can assure you, you have crossed paths with myself. I also am very secure in my world and surroundings that I do not need to tell you anything. Its quite funny that your insecurities shine right through your posts with your obsessive need for me to tell you who I am!! Wow, who do you think you are that I need to answer your question about who I deal with. If I divulge what charities I deal with, you may just figure it out, which, I do not need that type of attention,. And yes, I love children, without them, we have no future. As far as hearing myself talk....yes, many times over, on a podium, with a microphone as I explain why I along with my family chose that charity to donate to. :)

You are hilarious!

Cheers

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
that's a good question and I have no idea what the answer to that might be

it's a hypothetical question

there could be a potential range of fan responses

what do you think would have happened and why?
How was the Sens attendance prior to Eugene's cost cutting?

Top 6 in NHL. You have your answer.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How was the Sens attendance prior to Eugene's cost cutting?

Top 6 in NHL. You have your answer.

I don't think it's that simple. The team was notorious for giveaways. ... several thousand a game is commonly referenced

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think it's that simple. The team was notorious for giveaways. ... several thousand a game is commonly referenced
And the free ticket fans spent money for parking and on concessions.

There was an excitement and buzz around the team with a full arena. Kids/families who normally wouldn't get to attend got to go and you created more future STH's in the process.

What is the growth plan for the current model?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

There was an excitement and buzz around the team with a full arena. Kids/families who normally wouldn't get to attend got to go and you created more future STH's in the process.

it also resulted in paying customers that were pissed off

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
it also resulted in paying customers that were pissed off
So in caving to their complaints the team has not only hurt the long term business plan of growing the brand they've also help create a poor environment where the STH numbers go down every year.

Brilliant. Almost a smart as tarping over seats!!!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So in caving to their complaints the team has not only hurt the long term business plan of growing the brand they've also help create a poor environment where the STH numbers go down every year.

Brilliant. Almost a smart as tarping over seats!!!

caving to the complaints of paying customers?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You are amazingly relentless with that “I know all those people and their family” thing... to the point that it’s become juvenile. Who, in their right professional mind would carry on like this? I mean... seriously? Do you actually hear yourself talk/write?

And on the point of another poster who mentions that you never answer his questions, he’s absolutely right! In another of your apparent “bragging rights” you stated you deal with multiple charitable organizations. I’v been in the not for profit sector for over 15 years. I asked you before who you deal with and you failed to answer that, among several other questions people ask you. When and if you ever answer, it’s constantly irrelevant to the question that was asked.

You’re like, well... a child.

Apologies to all children worldwide!

mysens already outed himself as a fake insider in his posts. The only place where he can be a Somebody is in an anonymous forum where people believe his shtick.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Holy projection Batman.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Simple question for you, what do you think ticket sales would have been this year if the team capitalized on the revenue windfall from playoffs/expansion and the exciting playoff run and ran a publicity campaign making a big deal about how they were going to spend more money to push the Sens over the top after being "one goal from the cup final"?

The fanbase has no hope. HOPE sells tickets!!!

I'm considered a STH with my package & I receive lots of emails, twitter messages & phone calls every yr about renewing after the season. Are you saying you haven't seen any marketing campaigns? I receive emails almost everyday from them, too many in fact. They are constantly on the TV channels I watch & on the radio station I listen too. Again, how much money needs to be spent on marketing if people are not willing to spend their own money to go to games? Maybe casual fans have turned off the team because they have been close numerous times & have let them down so often, at least the Redblacks have won a cup. People like to associate with winners. It could be that the Sens have lost the casual fans & no marketing is gong to bring them back, there are plenty of people on here who want to quit on the team especially over ownership. If people want to go to games they will buy tickets but the state of the team & the product on the ice is more to blame for the lack of ticket sales not any perceived lack of marketing campaign IMO.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Ahhhhh, finally, admitting that free tickets is the only time you support your team. I nave a couple of extra tickets for tomorrow's game, would you like them for free? Let me know.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'm considered a STH with my package & I receive lots of emails, twitter messages & phone calls every yr about renewing after the season. Are you saying you haven't seen any marketing campaigns? I receive emails almost everyday from them, too many in fact. They are constantly on the TV channels I watch & on the radio station I listen too. Again, how much money needs to be spent on marketing if people are not willing to spend their own money to go to games? Maybe casual fans have turned off the team because they have been close numerous times & have let them down so often, at least the Redblacks have won a cup. People like to associate with winners. It could be that the Sens have lost the casual fans & no marketing is gong to bring them back, there are plenty of people on here who want to quit on the team especially over ownership. If people want to go to games they will buy tickets but the state of the team & the product on the ice is more to blame for the lack of ticket sales not any perceived lack of marketing campaign IMO.

All that typing and you never dealt with the issue.

My question wasn't about a marketing plan alone, but a plan to spend and compete.

How would the fans have reacted if Melnyk had aggressively spent his windfall from last season and made this new plan the focus of the marketing?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Could the Redblacks be what caused the decline in attendance these last few years? Got to imagine some people willing to spend money on a sporting event might have switched since the return of the CFL. One team is new, exciting and reached the Cup final in their 2nd season, winning it in their 3rd? The other is old, been inconsistent and only been to the main show once.

I know of several people who decided to buy Redblack season tickets instead of Senator season tickets specifically because the Redblacks were considered to have a better chance of winning a cup & they did. In fact, there are a few couples in my row who used to have Sens tickets but when football returned to Ottawa they decided to buy Redblack season tickets instead of Sens. I have a package for both but I have not renewed our Sens tickets for next yr, the guy I go with no longer wants to go (personal reasons), I go to Redblack games with a different buddy. I still hope to go to individual games throughout the yr, we'll see.

Reactions: RedWhiteBlackGold

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
All that typing and you never dealt with the issue.

My question wasn't about a marketing plan alone, but a plan to spend and compete.

How would the fans have reacted if Melnyk had aggressively spent his windfall from last season and made this new plan the focus of the marketing?
Okay, let me be clear I hope he spends more money on & off the ice but I doubt he spends much more than he has this yr. He has said he will spend more on development but who knows what that means. IMO if it is their intention to spend more on development it could be because they plan on rebuilding & not contending. If they wanted to still contend I think they would have kept playoff warrior Brassard, their legitimate 2nd line centre. They traded him away for a prospect they project will be a future #1 goalie. The key word there is future. Like you I would like him to spend more although I don't really believe that alone will help this team & instead major moves need to be made. I just don't think this team is very good right now unless they move a number of players & money can't fix that.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

A big part of the decline in attendance is likely related to the team no longer papering. I find it hard to believe that the attendance sharply dropping the same year this team stopped giving away tickets in large numbers is a coincidence. This is not to say that no longer papering might be the entire decline, but it wouldn't surprise me if it accounted for a big chunk of it.

The Redblacks probably hurt the Senators season ticket base slightly since people do not have infinite money to spend on big purchases like that, but as far as walk up attendance, the CFL season has minimal cross over with the NHL season.

Reactions: RedWhiteBlackGold

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ottawa is a far superior market than either of those cities and many other current NHL markets.

Once you add in the Lebreton arena, it will be well above average.

Oh, the Lebreton Arena that is being built by Eugene Melnyk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->