Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
That's not comparable whatsoever, even worse than the Redblacks comparison.

It's a concert, that comes once a year over a two week period. People will go no matter where it is.

An arena at Lebreton will be better than Kanata no doubt, but it's not proper downtown as some people think it is, there wont be a "walk up" crowd how it is in Toronto or Montreal.

The proposed Arena is going to be located between two LRT Stations, and the Station at the end of the line of the current station at Bayview. From these stations people will able to get off work, get on OC transpo/LRT and dissembark at these stations that will be less than a five minute walk to the Arena.

Most definitely there will be a HUGE increase in the "walk up" crowd over the current location

BTW I noticed in today's Paper, an Ad for STH, encouraging them to renew, accompanied with a picture featuring EK65.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
BTW I noticed in today's Paper, an Ad for STH, encouraging them to renew, accompanied with a picture featuring EK65.

I don't think the marketing team (if there even is one at this point) is going to know whether Karlsson is going to be moved or not.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's not comparable whatsoever, even worse than the Redblacks comparison.

It's a concert, that comes once a year over a two week period. People will go no matter where it is.

An arena at Lebreton will be better than Kanata no doubt, but it's not proper downtown as some people think it is, there wont be a "walk up" crowd how it is in Toronto or Montreal.

I mean, it's about a half hour walk from the glebe, 20 mins from Kent street, touch over half hour from Ottawa U, half hour from Elgin street. Hop a bus and you're looking at ~15 mins. It doesn't need to be dead center of the core to get a strong walk up crowd imo, though during the colder months, I'm sure you may see fewer opt to walk.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For what it's worth, the walk up crowd for Ottawa had apparently always been a strength in the past. I remember it being a point of pride for the team not too long ago.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

It means that renewals are going much worse than anticipated and that they are hoping to trick people into renewing by finally using their superstar talent to help sell tickets. Once June hits, STHs can no longer cancel their renewals, therefore it paves the way for the expected EK trade, followed by a media campaign to attempt to put 100% of the blame on Karlsson (TSN1200 already laying the groundwork) .

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I mean, it's about a half hour walk from the glebe, 20 mins from Kent street, touch over half hour from Ottawa U, half hour from Elgin street. Hop a bus and you're looking at ~15 mins. It doesn't need to be dead center of the core to get a strong walk up crowd imo, though during the colder months, I'm sure you may see fewer opt to walk.

Well we all know that "walk up crowd" does not mean everyone who shows up on the day of a game, and buys a ticket, actually walked to the Arena.

100,000 people commute to the downtown area every work day. At some point during that day they may decide to catch a game on the way home, and take the LRT and or OC Transpo to Lebreton and if they did not purchase a ticket online (that day) buy one at the box office when they get there.

I never hear anymore, announcements on local radio on a game day, stating the number of tickets remaining for that day's game.
This is done to spur game day sales, but with the current location, game day sales are hard to drum up among casual fans as it takes bit more than jumping on the LRT for a 5 or 10 minute commute after work to get to Kanata.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Absolutely not. Sens marketing is trash, and seemingly always behind the 8-ball. They probably had that ad made up months ago.

Reactions: Deku

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Absolutely not. Sens marketing is trash, and seemingly always behind the 8-ball. They probably had that ad made up months ago.
The same Sens marketing that had Turris commercials playing into January and Turris posters around the stadium into December.

They are way behind the proverbial 8-ball, reading into anything they do is a waste of time.

Reactions: Deku and philb613

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The worst part is that there are interested buyers with deep pockets, he is always crying poor and could make bank on the sale alone, and the guy has no interest in winning the cup at all, so what is the point of owning this team and holding it hostage?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hmm...I've had full season tickets since 2003 and only ever received one extra ticket per season. Same when I had my half season seats (1999 to 2003) Come to think of it...for the past few years...I only got an extra game because I was paying for 44 games (41 + 3 pre-season) and we were only getting 2 pre-season so they gave that extra ticket (already paid for) during another game.

Where are your seats?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I still think it's a misplaced idea. People want EK65 to remain a Senator. Most folks don't care who owns the team.
It is always better to be constructive and positive when trying to problem solve. Trying to turn this situation into a zero-sum proposition creates a winner-loser scenario. If that is the case, the fan will always be the loser.

It is much better to try to create a win/win scenario. People want the team to prosper. People want to go to the games. People want EK65 to remain a Senator. Melnyk wants the team to prosper. Melnyk wants people to go to the games. There is FAR MORE common ground for a constructive solution than folks give credit. Quite frankly, it simply isn't logical to mount a crusade against the owner of the team. There is no reward, only chaos and uncertainty.

I firmly believe that the past decade or so of politics (all sides) has helped foment a climate where people operate in a win/lose and us vs them mentality. It doesn't work. Everyone has to be part of the solution.

Reactions: Flamingo

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I still think it's a misplaced idea. People want EK65 to remain a Senator. Most folks don't care who owns the team.
It is always better to be constructive and positive when trying to problem solve. Trying to turn this situation into a zero-sum proposition creates a winner-loser scenario. If that is the case, the fan will always be the loser.

It is much better to try to create a win/win scenario. People want the team to prosper. People want to go to the games. People want EK65 to remain a Senator. Melnyk wants the team to prosper. Melnyk wants people to go to the games. There is FAR MORE common ground for a constructive solution than folks give credit. Quite frankly, it simply isn't logical to mount a crusade against the owner of the team. There is no reward, only chaos and uncertainty.

I firmly believe that the past decade or so of politics (all sides) has helped foment a climate where people operate in a win/lose and us vs them mentality. It doesn't work. Everyone has to be part of the solution.
What?

Melnyk is the cause of all this, so people certainly do care who is owning the team.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

What exactly are you proposing?

That Melnyk come out and ransom EK65? "If I get 2000 more STH's before June, we will not trade him. We will try everything to extend him, and the rest is on him. kthnx" ?

That the fans organize a drive to buy tickets called "Put Up Your Dough so Karlsson doesn't go?" and just hope it works out?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Your whole premise is based on trust, and I personally don't trust Melnyk to do anything positive at this point. He's been trimming costs for years, even when attendance was going strong, and even after he signed that mega TV deal. So when times were relatively strong, he was still cutting staff, hiring cheaper coaches rather than more established ones, and so on.

So while your land of butterflies and rainbows sounds awesome, I have no faith at all that Melnyk would alter his course of lower spending even if we fans packed the house each night.

Part of me thinks that this is due to his other businesses failing miserably. He might see the Senators and CTC as his only reliable sources of income, and if he's going to continue to live the life of a billionaire, then he's got to squeeze out every red cent he can from this team.

Also he's got those pesky debt payments...

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
What?

Melnyk is the cause of all this, so people certainly do care who is owning the team.
I don't believe I made my point clear. If I asked random people to list the owners of the 31 teams, I doubt many would know more than 2-3. So "most folks don't care who owns the team" stands. The only reason people in Ottawa do care at all lately is because Melnyk has made some awkward comments and has exhibited some questionable behaviour. If Melnyk fades back into the background and the team found success on the ice, once again nobody would care who Melnyk is. He could live the rest of his life on his island and never be mentioned.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
What exactly are you proposing?

That Melnyk come out and ransom EK65? "If I get 2000 more STH's before June, we will not trade him. We will try everything to extend him, and the rest is on him. kthnx" ?

That the fans organize a drive to buy tickets called "Put Up Your Dough so Karlsson doesn't go?" and just hope it works out?
I don't believe I proposed anything yet. But my point is that this isn't a fist fight. The fan base cannot go to war with the owner.
I didn't coin the term 'let cooler heads prevail' but it certainly applies here.

What I am suggesting is that people's energy would be better focused on exploring solutions rather than mounting a PR campaign based on anger.

Seriously, make a list of what you would think the fans of this city would like to see as a future for the club. Make another list of what you believe an owner would like to see. Base those two lists in the reality of a small growing market (next to larger established markets).

I think that there would be a lot of overlap in the two lists. You use that overlap as a basis for moving forward. Melnyk doesn't hate the city and the fans or the club. If we take him at his word, he would like nothing more than to have a prosperous club that is the envy of the league. Hopefully his own (sometimes eccentric) behaviour will not get in the way.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
What?

They want an owner that enables his GM to build a solid roster and invest in core players long-term.

The fan base has withdrawn and wants him to prove his commitment, while he feels he's committed the past couple years and is frustrated that didn't sell out regularly. We need a counselor.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Has EM said anything for the last several weeks? I'm thinking/hoping the plan is to fade into the background and eventually be forgotten by all but the most savage around here.

That would be the best course of action, because as many have noted, it's him that they dislike. You remove the catalyst from sight and the folks' ire will gradually melt away.

Dorion signs EK (I'm leaning back to this happening now that I have heard both speak), and then the big question becomes, what the heck do we do with this 8 grand we raised?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I don't believe I proposed anything yet. But my point is that this isn't a fist fight. The fan base cannot go to war with the owner.
I didn't coin the term 'let cooler heads prevail' but it certainly applies here.

What I am suggesting is that people's energy would be better focused on exploring solutions rather than mounting a PR campaign based on anger.

Seriously, make a list of what you would think the fans of this city would like to see as a future for the club. Make another list of what you believe an owner would like to see. Base those two lists in the reality of a small growing market (next to larger established markets).

I think that there would be a lot of overlap in the two lists. You use that overlap as a basis for moving forward. Melnyk doesn't hate the city and the fans or the club. If we take him at his word, he would like nothing more than to have a prosperous club that is the envy of the league. Hopefully his own (sometimes eccentric) behaviour will not get in the way.
The fans list of wants for the franchise is short and contained in the slogan.

#Melnykout

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Has EM said anything for the last several weeks? I'm thinking/hoping the plan is to fade into the background and eventually be forgotten by all but the most savage around here.

That would be the best course of action, because as many have noted, it's him that they dislike. You remove the catalyst from sight and the folks' ire will gradually melt away.

Dorion signs EK (I'm leaning back to this happening now that I have heard both speak), and then the big question becomes, what the heck do we do with this 8 grand we raised?

As long as this franchise is running under an unnecessary budget, Melnyk will always be front and centre.

Want to fade into the background? Spend on all aspect of this organization, become a cap team, resign as CEO and NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
As long as this franchise is running under an unnecessary budget, Melnyk will always be front and centre.

Want to fade into the background? Spend on all aspect of this organization, become a cap team, resign as CEO and NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.
Mike Illitch comes to mind....Guy paid top guys to build his hockey team,and cheered from the pressbox....Never heard him cry about being at the cap,or if the team needed money to do something

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The fans list of wants for the franchise is short and contained in the slogan.

#Melnykout
If all you want is for Melnyk to go away, then fine. I guess the President of the land of butterflies and rainbows (as another poster put it) will purchase the team and everything will be great? Doesn't anyone remember that that title was basically given to Melnyk when he bought the team? Folks thought that a billionaire owner would fix everything. Funny how all of the same issues that plagued the previous ownership have remained for the current ownership.

Personally, I'd like the team to enjoy success on the ice, play an uptempo exciting brand of hockey, sign EK65 or be honest about the path to building a winning team without him, reduce parking rates, combine more merch incentives with tickets, move to an arena downtown, change up the jerseys a bit, etc, etc, etc.

Rather than bicker and be aggressively negative, I just feel that focusing on the issues that contribute to having a stable, professional and successful franchise would make more sense. Choose to be positive and see where it leads.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Just so we're clear, the "unnecessary budget" is something that you have made up right? I mean there is no evidence to suggest that the Senators are making a bunch of money and EM is refusing to spend it on the team, while there are many signs to point to the idea that the Sens aren't making very much money and have had to cut employees and reduce player and operating budgets. Keep in mind that we do spend around 70million a year and are not a cap floor team.

I understand people being angry at him for what he said, but you're different. You've created a factbase out of thin air and are basing a personal hatred on it. Doesn't that bother you? It bothers me.

He's not going to sell the team he owns because you don't like him. It's not your team, you're just a sucker fan who irrationally hates him but can't seem to move on from the product. Other folks who are upset at the man could likely have fences mended if he stopped speaking publicly, continued to invest in signing our core players, and gradually increased the budget as fans start to return.

The three biggest things he can do to help mend the divide between fan and owner are 1) stay out of the public eye, 2) make sure EK is signed long term, 3) move the team into a downtown arena. With a good PR team on the payroll he should be able to achieve all of these things in short order.

At some point you're going to have to accept that this isn't Berlin, the Sens aren't the Berlin Wall, and you're not a social justice crusader. The Sens are a private business owned by a private citizen, Ottawa does not own the team, you have no rights over how the team is run, or whether to team stays or goes. All you can do is spend your money elsewhere, and try and take as many folks with you. Unlike the Berlin Wall coming down, I don't support your message or your motives, and I don't support your means either.

I want what is best for the team, and this #melnykout stuff is counter productive beyond sending EM a clear message that folks are unhappy. I personally hope he hears the criticisms and takes care of my above three points. Most fans will come back to the fold after that I believe.

Your hate is irrational (we talkin' 'bout hockey???) and the only realistic out for you is to cash in your Sens fan card and switch teams to one that has a more likeable owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->