Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Totally.

This has basically been my argument for the past 20ish years, and not even just for hockey. I'll get in a discussion with someone from Toronto who says something like Ottawa is boring... well yeah, compared to Toronto, of course we are boring. Toronto has 4-5x the population we do, which means they have 4-5x the entertainment options that we do (because more customers = more businesses can be profitable and stay open = more entertainment options), plus being the business capital of the country they are going to have more high-end entertainment options as well...

And then I remind them that it was their choice to move to Ottawa and they can leave whenever they want, and then they don't ever leave because they have a good job and Ottawa is tenfold more affordable than Toronto is, and that the money they used to buy a house here wouldn't even get them a 2-bedroom apt in some old rundown roach-infested building close to the city center in Toronto, and they shut up for like... 2 days, before badmouthing the fact that Ottawa isn't a 24-hour party town.

Wait, where was I? Oh yeah. Leafs fans. Ugh.

lol can I get a hell yeah?

People do the same thing with Montreal too.

I just don't get it. I guess there are people who just drink and party all the time their whole life.. but I didn't have time even when single to go out more than like 1-2 times a month.

And.. I never ran out of places to go in Ottawa...

Whatever. People are dumb.

Reactions: BonkTastic

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Since 2000 Ottawa has been in the top 10 in attendance (many of those in the 5/6 range) 8 times.
Of the seasons outside top 10 here was our rankings: 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 13, 16, 17, 21, 24

Those last 5 rankings are the past 5 years of the team, when did Melnyk really start his magic?

Until the past 2 years when Melnyk has been at his worst on a BAD year we were middle of the pack. Perhaps Euge should look at this stuff before spouting off that we don't support the team.

This also shoots all kinds of holes through the argument that Ottawa must have a downtown arena to draw fans, I think we need a downtown arena but attendance is gonna drop. Gatineau is a Montreal dominated fanbase as is Orleans eastward. People that live downtown are either students (aka little disposable income) or not big hockey fans. It's the suburbs that draws the fans with a big portion of the base being in Barrhaven, Kanata, Carp/Dunrobin, Carleton Place, Stittsville and the Valley. Those people aren't going to go downtown especially if there isn't parking

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Since 2000 Ottawa has been in the top 10 in attendance (many of those in the 5/6 range) 8 times.
Of the seasons outside top 10 here was our rankings: 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 13, 16, 17, 21, 24

Those last 5 rankings are the past 5 years of the team, when did Melnyk really start his magic?

Until the past 2 years when Melnyk has been at his worst on a BAD year we were middle of the pack. Perhaps Euge should look at this stuff before spouting off that we don't support the team.

This also shoots all kinds of holes through the argument that Ottawa must have a downtown arena to draw fans, I think we need a downtown arena but attendance is gonna drop. Gatineau is a Montreal dominated fanbase as is Orleans eastward. People that live downtown are either students (aka little disposable income) or not big hockey fans. It's the suburbs that draws the fans with a big portion of the base being in Barrhaven, Kanata, Carp/Dunrobin, Carleton Place, Stittsville and the Valley. Those people aren't going to go downtown especially if there isn't parking

I live in Orleans and it's not all Habs fans. There's more Sens flags than Canadiens flags on cars when both teams are in the playoffs.

Stop boo-hooing that you live in Kanata and won't have a 5 minute commute to the rink. I've been commuting to Sens games in Ottawa rush-hour traffic since the CTC was called the Palladium.

It's my goddamned turn to get a break.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I live in Orleans and it's not all Habs fans. There's more Sens flags than Canadiens flags on cars when both teams are in the playoffs.

Stop boo-hooing that you live in Kanata and won't have a 5 minute commute to the rink. I've been commuting to Sens games in Ottawa rush-hour traffic since the CTC was called the Palladium.

It's my goddamned turn to get a break.
You can get a break but it isn't going to help attendance...

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
You can get a break but it isn't going to help attendance...

It's hard to predict either way. If there's an arena downtown, then people who live in the East End won't need to worry about the timing of driving home and then driving all the way to CTC. They can just stay downtown and get supper after work, or, drive home and then just get to Gloucester Centre and hop on a train to the game.

I don't think there will be that many west end people who will stubbornly refuse to go to games because the rink is centrally located. Plus, it opens up the opportunity to just stay downtown after work, grab a bite to eat, have a drink, and then make your way to the rink. That's pretty appealing to me.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The bit about the Leafs always being sold out during the Ballard days is not exactly correct either. I lived in Toronto for a bit during the 80s and went to quite a few games in MLG. You could walk up to the gate and get a ticket right before game time no problem. There was also a huge scalper market, the other alternative to paying full price at the gate right before game time was to wait until the national anthem and get a ticket from a scalper at a big discount, anywhere in the arena. Lots of folks did that, the scalpers were taking a bath.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Fair enough. But if you won't bother seeking the information, why do you inquire about the results and state an opinion on it?
I didn't inquire. Me saying "lame" was my first post in the thread lol

And I think I'm perfectly within my rights to react to someone else's post :thumbu:

I feel like you're quite defensive about this whole thing. Is a buddy of yours running it or something?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I didn't inquire. Me saying "lame" was my first post in the thread lol

And I think I'm perfectly within my rights to react to someone else's post :thumbu:

I feel like you're quite defensive about this whole thing. Is a buddy of yours running it or something?
Then I mistook you for the poster who originally inquired - guilty. ...and yes you are within your rights.

No, not feeling defensive. I just thought you were the poster of each message, and if that were the case, in my view it was one of those "someone complains about an initiave, yet they don't bother doing anything" - hence my reply.

I have nothing to do with the campaign other than sharing it here in order to help them get the word out. I know nothing of the fellow who started it other then what I've read and watched on the report.

So there... we're all friends again :)

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Then I mistook you for the poster who orinigally inquired - guilty. ...and yes you are within your rights.

No, not feeling defensive. I just thought you were the poster of each message, and if that were the case, in my view it was one of those "someone complains about an initiave, yet they don't bother to do anything" - hence my reply.

I have nothing to do with the campaign other than sharing it here in order to help them get the word out. I know nothing of the fellow who started it other then what I've read and watched on the report.

So there... we're all friends again :)

dr-evil-crying1.gif

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
genuinely curious if the billboard company will put the sign up

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

You conveniently left out the fact that the Senators were "papering the Arena" with freebies for many of those years, until they stopped about 3 or 4 years ago. So the paid attendance is probably been the same all along.

You also completely forgot about the 100,000 commuters that commute into the downtown core each and every work day, and making it so much easier to go to weekday games after work, that today.

A downtown Arena is a proven must for NHL teams, and there are a number of examples to back that up, and why all new Arenas are being built in downtown cores, with easy access to public transit.

Ottawa needs a "Walk Up" crowd, and the only way to get this is in Lebreton.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
genuinely curious if the billboard company will put the sing up

I saw NYI fans got a couple thrown up in their area for Snow Must Go...unsure of their gripe with him though, it was posted on twitter by a man I assume sells billboard space and facilitated the transaction as it was in his handle.

Reactions: coladin

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009

I just don't get it. I guess there are people who just drink and party all the time their whole life.. but I didn't have time even when single to go out more than like 1-2 times a month.

I moved from Ottawa to Toronto 3 years ago. Yea there are multiple times more options for entertainment. However the COST to get into these venues are also multiple times more expensive.

Id way rather go back to Ottawa for the cheap entertainments... not to mention the fresh air and lack of never ending lines lol

Reactions: SENSability

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I wonder how Bluesfest would work out, if it were held at the CTC????

That's not comparable whatsoever, even worse than the Redblacks comparison.

It's a concert, that comes once a year over a two week period. People will go no matter where it is.

An arena at Lebreton will be better than Kanata no doubt, but it's not proper downtown as some people think it is, there wont be a "walk up" crowd how it is in Toronto or Montreal.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

People are lazy IMO. I have been to lots of cities large, small, and smallest, and if I am looking to have fun I have never had a problem finding fun. All it takes is doing a little research. A city the size of Ottawa there shouldn't be a problem finding events/things to do on a pretty routine basis I would imagine.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You conveniently left out the fact that the Senators were "papering the Arena" with freebies for many of those years, until they stopped about 4 or 4 years ago. So the paid attendance is probably been the same all along.

the papering the attendance issue never quite added up to me. I mean, we allegedly stopped doing it in or around the 2013-14 season, but attendance didn't take a massive hit until the 2016-17 season. Also lacking is any indication as to how our giveaways differed from that of other teams. I'm sure it had some affect on attendance, but how much of an effect is imo up for debate.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
the papering the attendance issue never quite added up to me. I mean, we allegedly stopped doing it in or around the 2013-14 season, but attendance didn't take a massive hit until the 2016-17 season. Also lacking is any indication as to how our giveaways differed from that of other teams. I'm sure it had some affect on attendance, but how much of an effect is imo up for debate.

We don't know about other arenas, but I do know last year was the first year that I did not receive complimentary tickets, outside of the Sens VIP tickets. I used to get two games a year - 2 pairs, and full seasons I think got 4 - so 8 tickets. They have dwindled that down and now there is none. So factor in 10K STH equivalents, could have been upwards of 40K tickets , conservatively, but more likely closer to 80K, about 2K a game. Plus, my ticket manager said last year was the first time staff didn't get free tickets, which he said was a big hit as well. On top of all the other giveaways, it has exposed the market somewhat. Last year we also did not have the shitstorm that we have this year and the results speak for themselves.

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
We don't know about other arenas, but I do know last year was the first year that I did not receive complimentary tickets, outside of the Sens VIP tickets. I used to get two games a year - 2 pairs, and full seasons I think got 4 - so 8 tickets. They have dwindled that down and now there is none. So factor in 10K STH equivalents, could have been upwards of 40K tickets , conservatively, but more likely closer to 80K, about 2K a game. Plus, my ticket manager said last year was the first time staff didn't get free tickets, which he said was a big hit as well. On top of all the other giveaways, it has exposed the market somewhat. Last year we also did not have the ****storm that we have this year and the results speak for themselves.

Hmm...I've had full season tickets since 2003 and only ever received one extra ticket per season. Same when I had my half season seats (1999 to 2003) Come to think of it...for the past few years...I only got an extra game because I was paying for 44 games (41 + 3 pre-season) and we were only getting 2 pre-season so they gave that extra ticket (already paid for) during another game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hmm...I've had full season tickets since 2003 and only ever received one extra ticket per season. Same when I had my half season seats (1999 to 2003) Come to think of it...for the past few years...I only got an extra game because I was paying for 44 games (41 + 3 pre-season) and we were only getting 2 pre-season so they gave that extra ticket (already paid for) during another game.

Free tickets to a full season ticket holder doesn't make much sense imo. What are you going to do with a ticket to a game you already have tickets for? I guess bring a friend, or sell it off. Better idea would be to give some other equivalent perk, but that's just my opinion.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Can someone who's been a long time season ticket holder provide a timeline of the perks that are given each year? Curious to see how much of the perks were degraded over the years

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This is a bit dated, but will get you up to 2013, and things were apparently already getting progressively worse at that point.

Sens Season Ticket Holder Perks Getting Worse?

I remember back when I was working with the team, they had rolled out a new perks program that offered "More Choice!!!" when picking STH perks, but in offering more choices they severely reduced the quality of the perks. I remember hearing a LOT of backlash from fans over that.

I mean, we're talking at least 6+ years ago now, though. I've heard that the perks are even worse now than they were back when I was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad