Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I'll show myself out then. :|

I saw some replies on Twitter from people who I'm sure were dead serious that the French was wrong... I kinda projected that into the forums
Ahhh... I see. Perhaps they didn’t bother reading the entire thing.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Hahaha.. I understand that he is in a no-win situation in terms of his response as far as this forum goes, but it is funny to me that he just keeps claiming that "noone should doubt my commitment"

I think he may be speaking honestly, in which he doesn't understand how anyone could question his commitment, because in his mind he has gone above and beyond as the teams saviour.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
"No one should doubt my commitment"

Define commitment Euge.

You can be sure no one doubts your commitment to penny pinching.

God bless Rod Bryden. The guy kept his mouth shut with regards to hockey ops, kept his nose out of the GM's business, and when he realized the team was on the verge of something good and he did not have the funds to keep it rolling properly, he sold the team.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I don't think so. I think that there are elements of the plan that need to be kept close until they are carried out. Things like trading, signing, hiring. Also, some specifics depend on what happens with EK.

I think we already got a pretty general idea of what direction we're going in, we just have to wait until the off season to see the ball start rolling.

Honestly it was more of a joke. Usually you want your owner keeping quiet but you want your president to speak. Well, possibly due to cheapness, our owner is our president.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I love this thinking

"If the billboards don't fix the problem right away, then what's the point of them"
"Eugene won't change his mind just because of billboards, so what's the point of them"

I got to love this pessimistic ass way of thinking.

"Nothing is gonna change, so what's the point of trying" lol

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
#MelnykOut billboards slated for city streets starting March 19

DYMXsnkVMAAKca6.jpg:large

This is a real good one, fires in the reminder that we should be thankful he got a hell of a deal on an NHL team and has proceeded to poke holes in it financially by directly borrowing against it and racking up the debt....then proceeds to double down a la Trump and say nobody should doubt the commitment, as a now former STH I doubt his commitment a ton and have for a few years and directly cancelled my seats due to my view of his lack of commitment.

Glad the billboards are going up....it's tangible and better than the nothing which is what's happening right now.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This is a real good one, fires in the reminder that we should be thankful he got a hell of a deal on an NHL team and has proceeded to poke holes in it financially by directly borrowing against it and racking up the debt....then proceeds to double down a la Trump and say nobody should doubt the commitment, as a now former STH I doubt his commitment a ton and have for a few years and directly cancelled my seats due to my view of his lack of commitment.

Glad the billboards are going up....it's tangible and better than the nothing which is what's happening right now.
Great post.

Remember when Eugene imposed the budget and said it was only temporary and that he'd spend when the team was ready to compete?

He pocketed his 26M windfall from last season and then reduced spending on a team that was one goal from the cup final.

I fail to see why ANYONE would trust this man or spend a single $ in support of his product. Scorch the earth and see how long he wants to hold on as the owner.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Great post.

Remember when Eugene imposed the budget and said it was only temporary and that he'd spend when the team was ready to compete?

He pocketed his 26M windfall from last season and then reduced spending on a team that was one goal from the cup final.

I fail to see why ANYONE would trust this man or spend a single $ in support of his product. Scorch the earth and see how long he wants to hold on as the owner.

Remember it? How could we forget really, there was a year or two where he wouldn't go through an interview without reminding us, i gave him the chance at the time and held out hope as the thinking is actually very sound but the actions after these comments showed the true intent....I quoted it back to my ticket rep upon cancellation recently as one of the many lie's we have been told over the last few years which clearly never came to fruition.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
God bless Rod Bryden. The guy kept his mouth shut with regards to hockey ops, kept his nose out of the GM's business, and when he realized the team was on the verge of something good and he did not have the funds to keep it rolling properly, he sold the team.

What on earth are you talking about? Lol
Bryden was slammed for constantly threatening to move the team. Yearly season ticket drives that were based on threats.
Then the team went into bankruptcy. Bryden even tried to put together a reclamation bid to buy his own team out of bankruptcy using a financial backer. But that partner backed out.

Once again, the people of Ottawa are being told the Sens' fate is in their hands

Reactions: BonkTastic

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Bryden was slammed for constantly threatening to move the team. Yearly season ticket drives that were based on threats.
Then the team went into bankruptcy. Bryden even tried to put together a reclamation bid to buy his own team out of bankruptcy using a financial backer. But that partner backed out.

Once again, the people of Ottawa are being told the Sens' fate is in their hands
There is no doubt Bryden had his issues. My point being that despite the financial woes, Ottawa was the model franchise for the NHL.

Maybe Rod could have cut his costs like the Euge is doing and hang on even longer, right? Considering where the team was at the time, that would have been worse than the threats to buy tickets. Now we're getting threats while watching our team being dismantled and the front office is skeletal. Rod threatened us with primed rib; Euge is trying to do it with Spam.

He also never jerked the fans around with regards to the team, like telling us one thing and changing his mind a year later. He just wanted us to buy more tickets.

Do the right thing Euge.

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Ha, yeah Bryden didn’t cut costs...he just didn’t pay them. Lol
And Bryden jerked around the fan base constantly. The Sens were a circus and a league wide joke. Every year Bryden was threatening to sell the team to another city or move it himself. Like every freaking year.
I’m amazed at how anyone can possibly look at Bryden’s tenure as owner and think it was anything but a nightmare. Just do some research people.

Reactions: coladin

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
The Sens were a circus and a league wide joke.
For not being able to pay their players.

You keep missing the point don't you? Despite Bryden's finances, the Sens still had a superior product on the ice and the right people in the right place.

They were not a circuis when they were competing against teams that had bottomless budgets. They were proof that you didn't have to spend to compete. Yeah a real joke.

I’m amazed at how anyone can possibly look at Bryden’s tenure as owner and think it was anything but a nightmare.

I find it amazing myself but that's what the Melnyk has brought this too.. Compared to our current situation, the nightmare is now.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
And Bryden jerked around the fan base constantly. The Sens were a circus and a league wide joke. Every year Bryden was threatening to sell the team to another city or move it himself. Like every freaking year.
I’m amazed at how anyone can possibly look at Bryden’s tenure as owner and think it was anything but a nightmare. Just do some research people.

I think the thing with Bryden was that while the constant threats to the fanbase were draining, relentless, and took it's toll on the fanbase, you could tell that he was still trying to put a good product on the ice. He still believed that the team could win, he still put money into hockey ops and even though as a budget team we could never take part in the silly season of UFA (especially back in THOSE days, the pre-cap days, when insane signings like the Holik contract were still a thing), he made sure the team was built the right way through the draft. We had very smart hockey people in the organization, and from THAT perspective we were a model organization. Financially, haha hell no of course we weren't a model org. But we did "small budget" the right way.

Bryden though... I mean... what can you say about the guy? In debt from Day 1, team leveraged to the gills, constantly at the fans, and eventually forced to sell because his own personal debt became a liability for the club. It wasn't fun, but at least the team was good on the ice, and we knew how we were going to win (through the draft) and invested accordingly.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Jeez, I’m not backing Melnyk. I’m saying Bryden was no bed of roses either.

Ottawa has had terrible ownership for decades now.
I would say Bryden was more unstable than terrible; we still had a great team. Melnyk is both unstable and terrible.

But yeah, we deserve better!

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
As Ottawa fans, we have now officially lowered the bar for ownership.

Basically just don’t be terrible, unstable we can live with, but if you’re terrible, out come the billboards.
This would be funny if it was another city.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Yes, and he also had many multi million projects on the verge of going down with this team, if he did not sell the team, he was not only losing the team, but every other sound investment he had. So,your right, this guy was not our hero who sold the team, he had too.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

I had nothing but respect for Bryden. So did the general audience. He had immense class.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I had nothing but respect for Bryden. So did the general audience. He had immense class.
Except for all the lawsuits against him. And the constant threats to the fan base. Bryden and Melnyk pretty much have had a lot of similar actions. People just have revisionist history and nostalgia.

Reactions: coladin

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Except for all the lawsuits against him. And the constant threats to the fan base. Bryden and Melnyk pretty much have had a lot of similar actions. People just have revisionist history and nostalgia.
I agree to disagree.
Two completely different individuals.
Have you ever met Bryden?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
From were do you get that information?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
From were do you get that information?
From living in Ottawa for the past 35 years.

Threaten to move the team.
Bryden: many, many times
Melnyk: once

Get sued by partners, business associates directly involved with the Senators.
Bryden: yes
Melnyk: yes

Failed to make payroll for the players.
Bryden: yes
Melnyk: never

I don’t know either man personally, but neither is stacking up as a great team owner IMHO. If you think the guy who ran the team into bankruptcy is a great guy, then fine. He’s probably a wonderful person. I get that. But he wasn’t a great owner.

I don’t even know how this is a debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad