Melnyk received $400 mil offer to buy the Senators at the BOG meeting

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
400m isn't even close to enough to be serious consideration.

Didn't Carolina just sell for a value of 420m? Ottawa is a Canadian franchise to begin with, and at the BoG meeting all of the lebreton shenanigans were still in their infancy. So a serious offer would definitely have needed to be in the 550-600 range.

This is like Dorion saying that he gave an offer to Karlsson. Sure there was some big number attached but the structure of it showed it wasn't serious.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean, given the state of the franchise any buyer would be crazy to offer Melnyk full pop. As much as it sucks as a fan, the smart play is just to wait Melnyk out.

Sure, if you feel that he won't be able to hold on and will be forced to sell or go bankrupt, but the state of the franchise, be it on ice, or the current off ice drama, is temporary, and likely doesn't affect the long term value.

A new owner coming in could invest in coaching and front office and see a pretty quick turn around on ice. Most of the off ice drama is in the past or related to Melnyk.

Lets say we were to change ownership and assume we manage to keep Stone and Duchene;

On ice, our lineup for next season could start off as this:

Dzingel-Duchene-Batherson
Tkachuk-White-Stone
Formenton-Pageau-Boedker
Paul-Tierney-Ryan
extra: Chlapik/Brown

Chabot-Jaros
Wolanin-DeMelo
Lajoie-Ceci
extra: Harpur/Boro

Obviously, the D still needs an upgrade, but there are some prominent guys out there becoming UFA in Karlsson, Myers, and Gardiner. We could also target somebody in a trade and use Tierney or Pageau, as bait perhaps with Ceci as a quantity for quality since we have some centers in Brown and Chlapik that could be ready soon.

With as much parity as this league has, things can turn on a dime, so on ice to me is a very short term problem that wouldn't weigh into valuations.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
The fact they've allowed the media to go from saying there was an offer (which they get all the time according to Daly) to saying how much it is publicly means they have started negotiating seriously. My guess is that was a shot across the bow. Come with a serious offer or Melnyk will continue to Melnyk the brand. This is a good sign...it also is telling in who sets the sale price, and it's not Melnyk. My guess is if the offer is close to 700 million CDN, it gets done.

Reactions: NB613

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sounds to me like the start of a negotiation, and that there is interested owners in Ottawa.

All good news for us Sens fans

There was no mention about whether the "offer" was made by someone local, or out of town.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
400m isn't even close to enough to be serious consideration.

Didn't Carolina just sell for a value of 420m? Ottawa is a Canadian franchise to begin with, and at the BoG meeting all of the lebreton shenanigans were still in their infancy. So a serious offer would definitely have needed to be in the 550-600 range.

This is like Dorion saying that he gave an offer to Karlsson. Sure there was some big number attached but the structure of it showed it wasn't serious.

At the same time, if Melnyk wasn't serious about selling it would've never made it to the NHL to decline.

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
"I suspect Melnyk doesn’t lose much sleep over balancing the books at the Canadian Tire Centre.
Maybe we we should believe him when he insists he isn’t going anywhere."

Rick Gibbons

GIBBONS: Wild speculation swirls around Sens owner Eugene Melnyk

Article points out Dolan as being only a touch richer than Melnyk is either disingenuous or ill informed as it completely ignores the way Dolan's operation with MSG works. If Melnyk's father was worth 5 billion and owned the equivalent of the MSG company like James Dolan's father, Charles Dolan does, I'm sure he wouldn't be complaining about being poor either.

Edit: Also, why the heck is Gibbons pointing to Hockey.Fanalytics for the linguothegrammarrobot post from Senschip? Seems odd, Linguo seems to have just set up that blog a couple days ago and that post is the only thing there, which doesn't give it the impression of being credible. Seems odd to me, but idk. I would have thought they'd point to Senschirp's site.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyingJ and NB613

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
You can also factor in that this will be the 2nd straight year that games in the new year are virtually guaranteed to have no meaning for the team's hopes of making the playoffs, season ticket renewals are likely to drop even further, and if no sale is made before moving out Stone and/or Duchene, it will likely make any buyer looking for an expensive toy realize he is going to get Ford Focus results for many years while hoping to get the parts to make it a Ferrari. This while LeBreton moves to pipe dream status.

Scrooeuge's selling points get even weaker as time goes by, and in the summer, fans get to see the Avs take the next Svechnikov with our pick due to the Point Per Dollar Champ's cheapness and meddling. |The hits keep on coming.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You can also factor in that this will be the 2nd straight year that games in the new year are virtually guaranteed to have no meaning for the team's hopes of making the playoffs, season ticket renewals are likely to drop even further, and if no sale is made before moving out Stone and/or Duchene, it will likely make any buyer looking for an expensive toy realize he is going to get Ford Focus results for many years while hoping to get the parts to make it a Ferrari. This while LeBreton moves to pipe dream status.

Scrooeuge's selling points get even weaker as time goes by, and in the summer, fans get to see the Avs take the next Svechnikov with our pick due to the Point Per Dollar Champ's cheapness and meddling. |The hits keep on coming.

A team with no payroll is worth more than a last place,everyone locked in long term team

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
At the same time, if Melnyk wasn't serious about selling it would've never made it to the NHL to decline.

Not necessarily true. Depends on how the offer was brought in. Perhaps someone attempted an end run around Melnyk by going straight to the BoG hoping to get pressure applied the other way.

Or perhaps it's just a thing with owners that they have to present/make known any offers for their teams?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Can we assume those announcements about fincancing were negotiating tactics?
I'd never heard of a professional sports team announcing financing like they did. Seemed really strange to me.

Personally, I think it was an act of defiance to the media and fans. Saying "bleep you, you may not come but I will borrow to cover up the shortfalls...I'm not going anywhere"

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
A team with no payroll is worth more than a last place,everyone locked in long term team

If you look at the past 20 years, the three franchises with the most playoff appearances are San Jose, Ottawa and Detroit.

Ottawa has a better than average roster, better than average prospect pool, an average arena in a great market that up until a few years ago (3-4) had great attendance. We also have a new arena on the way at some point.

This franchise, even in its current burning tire fire state, is still worth much more than an expansion franchise.

The are two reasons the offer was so low. Either it was a local faceslap to Eugene for his outlandish behaviour or it was an outside bid that planned on relocation, and factored that fee into their offer making it lower.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Personally, I think it was an act of defiance to the media and fans. Saying "bleep you, you may not come but I will borrow to cover up the shortfalls...I'm not going anywhere"

Then why not have the same fanfare when they borrowed another $30mil from Bank of Montreal less than two months ago?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
All this debt cant be driving up the franchise price?

Usually when contract negotiations are being done through the press, i take it as a bad sign that things are at an impasse. Not sure what to make of this announcement of an offer rejected. But attempting to politically leverage for a publicly funded arena sure seems a standard operating procedure the NHL BoG would expect from Bettman.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
any rumblings of a sale are always good news, especially something so recent. Hope for more offers and bye bye Melnyk and Karlsson back in the off season.
I hope that Melnyk will sell also. but even with a new owner theres no way Karlsson is coming back here. it ain't happening im sorry.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If you look at the past 20 years, the three franchises with the most playoff appearances are San Jose, Ottawa and Detroit.

Ottawa has a better than average roster, better than average prospect pool, an average arena in a great market that up until a few years ago (3-4) had great attendance. We also have a new arena on the way at some point.

This franchise, even in its current burning tire fire state, is still worth much more than an expansion franchise.

The are two reasons the offer was so low. Either it was a local faceslap to Eugene for his outlandish behaviour or it was an outside bid that planned on relocation, and factored that fee into their offer making it lower.

The playoff appearances, roster and prospect pool don't have much of an effect on franchise value.

The arena and local market has great value, but it is neutered by the debt Melynk has thrown onto the team.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
The problem with buying the Sens right now is it’s not just the $500 million you have to put in, there are other massive Captitam investments pending - Lebreton at $4 billion, and even just upgrading the CTC for the next 5-7 years until you can move which is probably easily another $50 million.

You’re not just buying a team and putting up a ‘under new management sign’ - you’re involved with multiple layers of government and the largest investment in Ottawa history. Very complicated and many richies don’t want this type of deal, they just want the team so they can watch it skate around and show Sparty Cat off to their friends

Agreed. The problem with trying to sell it, it's a fixer upper! Your buying a franchise that has not been run properly or taken care of extended period of time that will now cost a lot of money just to get it in scale with other teams.

Under new management will go very far but the amount of money needed invested in this franchise outside of the Lebreton is probably a lot higher then we can imagine. I won't even get into the list of things that need to fixed but this is no turn-key purchase.

Realistic the $400 million offer is more then fair considering the way EM has run it into the ground.

This franchise is going through a rebuild (aka budget slashing) on the ice but needs a complete overhual off the ice as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->