News Article: Melnyk: 'not selling the team — period'

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bettman: "The Atlanta thrashers are not for sale."

For the sake of accuracy, I don't think Bettman ever said that.

He was always crafty when talking about the Atlanta situation, so that he wasn't technically wrong. He said stuff like "Is there a deal today to sell the club and move it? No.", which was... technically true when he said it, as the deal to sell to True North hadn't been finalized yet.

Bettman always has that sneaky way of being technically true with the majority of what he says, because he adds little caveats to his public statements that can leave wiggle room.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

He was always crafty when talking about the Atlanta situation, so that he wasn't technically wrong. He said stuff like "Is there a deal today to sell the club and move it? No.", which was... technically true when he said it, as the deal to sell to True North hadn't been finalized yet.

Bettman always has that sneaky way of being technically true with the majority of what he says, because he adds little caveats to his public statements that can leave wiggle room.

Bettman is a brilliant man and has been a fantastic commissioner for the owners.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
And you don't think it's curious that, for a project of such magnitude, that Kristmanson hasn't been quoted in public more recently than mid-April? Especially given the unease and Melnyk's non-committal?

It's so very you to request more information and then change the parameters when you don't like the information provided.

"It's so very you to request more information and then change the parameters when you don't like the information provided." ...exactly my thoughts.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Why is no one from our side standing up to this kind of BS ???Our reporters need to start calling out these scrubs and their scrub articles,THIS CONSTANT PILING ON.... NEEDS TO END
What's wrong with the Simmons article? You sound like Leafs fans.

What do you think this Melnyk will do? If fans stop going to the games and boycott? He's unpopular and even has former players/employees saying he should sell the team.

He might not do it until someone offers him a price he can't refuse or he might just move the team. If he still wants to own a hockey team, do you think he'll want one in Ottawa in which everyone hates his guts or to start fresh/new with a major compensation that would surely come his way (enticing people to move to XYZ city/state)? What would you choose?

In a perfect world, for Sens fans, he sells to a decent owner (not sure there are any/many of those nowadays) but someone with lots of money and such a personality probably would rather spite bitter fans rather than accommodate their wishes? I don't think the Simmons article is all that bad - it is not a rosy picture for Sens fans wanting a happy ending thus far.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Bettman was telling Melnyk to get his **** together or sell.

The fans are in a uniquely powerful position.

I agree it was a message saying the franchise is not in imminent danger, but I don't think the message was quite that strong, either.

It's a good thing Gary Bettman is an upstanding businessman who has never once lied to his fanbase or acted in any manner of unscrupulous way in the past. I'm totally assured by his complete dismissal of my concerns. After all, he probably knows the situation better from Las Vegas and New York than we could possibly know it here in Ottawa.

Of course Gary Bettman has at least misled if not lied to NHL fans before, you're right there. However, he 100% does know more about the situation than we average Sens fans in Ottawa or elsewhere do. I don't know why you'd think otherwise when he's privy to information that we simply aren't and he is definitely following the situation.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Of course Gary Bettman has at least misled if not lied to NHL fans before, you're right there. However, he 100% does know more about the situation than we average Sens fans in Ottawa or elsewhere do. I don't know why you'd think otherwise when he's privy to information that we simply aren't and he is definitely following the situation.
Oh yeah, I'm not claiming we have any idea what's going on behind the scenes. Obviously he's far more well-positioned for that. I'm talking more about fan sentiment, which I don't think he puts much stock into.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
When has any team owner, that has run their franchise at the Cap floor, been forced to sell their franchise?

He means because they will not make him any money whatsoever, hence being forced to sell. Its the worst marketing strategy of all time, which is why its no surprise he is going for it. He is a terrible businessman.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
When has any team owner, that has run their franchise at the Cap floor, been forced to sell their franchise?
Look up Harry Wismer from the then-New York Titans for the closest non-modern day analogue. Spoiler alert: he was forced out.
Modern day? Check out Frank McCourt from the Los Angeles Dodgers. Spoiler alert: he was forced out following a messy divorce and financial mismanagement of the team.

I look forward to you telling me why these two don't meet your criteria. :)

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Look up Harry Wismer from the then-New York Titans for the closest non-modern day analogue. Spoiler alert: he was forced out.
Modern day? Check out Frank McCourt from the Los Angeles Dodgers. Spoiler alert: he was forced out following a messy divorce and financial mismanagement of the team.

I look forward to you telling me why these two don't meet your criteria. :)

We're talking about running a team at the Cap floor.

Did you miss that part.

MLB does not have a Salary Cap, and neither did the AFL

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There it is. You're talking about the cap floor. Sensung's comment mentioned it but was clearly about the gutting of the team and its mismanagement.

Well he was very definitive, saying Melnyk "Can and will be forced to sell" if he runs the team at the Cap floor.

Melnyk can and will be forced to sell if he guts the team and runs at the cap floor.

You can focus on the gutting of the team ..... but I see no evidence of that that, do you?

If you do, then please explain the logic behind it.

Thanks.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Thanks.
The logic of it is that Melnyk is regularly lambasted for his penny-pinching ways, for his not having a plan, for his seemingly dire financial situation and for making decisions that benefit his bottom line more than the team's odds of success. You're doing what you always do – you're fixating on a poor word choice and using that as the crux of your argument, rather than looking at the big picture and the context behind the comment. You have to be the most intellectually dishonest poster I've seen on these boards.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
When has any team owner collapsed his own bid on a multi billion dollar project when there were other bidders and willing buyers in place?

His antics have the possibility of costing the NHL big $.

The fanbase is in a uniquely powerful position and can starve Melnyk out if he continues down the present path.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Well he was very definitive, saying Melnyk "Can and will be forced to sell" if he runs the team at the Cap floor.

You can focus on the gutting of the team ..... but I see no evidence of that that, do you?

Thanks.

You do know that the word IF means, right?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

He's a lawyer is he not ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->