Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Eugene Melnyk has no intention of selling the

Ottawa
Senators

'Underdog' Eugene Melnyk plans to keep Senators - Sportsnet.ca

It’s the medias... it’s not a good idea to believe everything that is said in there. Melnyk might be negotiating and doesn’t want to attract all the media/fan attention on this. Saying that he won’t sell is a good way to buy some time.

However it’s not the best timing to sell for him. He might get some partners (like mysens has been saying), then he’ll cash in when the team plays in a downtown arena at the same time as the team is rising to become more competitive.

Then maybe he’ll sell the rest of his Senators shares? :dunno: (but would likely stay in the Lebreton real estate park)

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Then why do you keep defending him?

What you call "defending" most people would call presenting a different opinion, and considering the motivation behind some of the questionable moves or comments made. When trying to explain what someones reasoning might be, does not mean that you're standing behind them and supporting those moves.

Some people here compare the running of the Senators, to other Franchises, and appear to not have taken everything into account.

Ottawa cannot operate it's NHL team, like the Leafs or Kings are operated.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Seeing how he outright owns the land in Kanata and will be leasing it in Lebreton is one. To impress people at the new venue is going to require more cash too. Losing out on tickets would definitely make a bigger hit to his bottom line.

Are you sure he's going to be leasing Lebreton Flats?

I'm pretty sure they've entered into negotiations to purchase and develop Lebreton Flats.

In fact, right now they're in the process of working out the financial terms, determination of the market value of the lands, remediation of contaminated soil, phasing and ownership of public realm components and universal accessibility . It's been mentioned many times that once they determine the "market value" of the land, they'll then know where they stand once the cost of the soil decontamination is deducted from the purchase price of Lebreton Flats.

So unless you can point to something that says he's going to leasing the land, then you're still going to have to clarify what you meant by "it's going to cost him to run Lebreton" ......... it make no sense to me.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I don't want to re-kindle old arguments, but Melnyk has never wavered in his insistence that we wants to keep the NHL team indefinitely. In public and in private, he's said he cherishes owning the Senators, and that he wouldn't ever get a chance to buy an NHL team again.

I don't think there's a cash-out plan. Not after Seattle's league fee is meted out. Not after Lebreton is built or the rink moved there.

I understand that the #MelnykOut campaign wants to force him out, but that's not his plan.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The media is a tool to paint what ever image you want. If it's in the best interest of the BOG to deflect the truth so be it. What you are told and what is the truth are 2 different things.

So now you're saying the NHL BOG is lying to everyone, and the "media" is their puppet and does their bidding .............

OK ?????

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I'm pretty sure they've entered into negotiations to purchase and develop Lebreton Flats.

In fact, right now they're in the process of working out the financial terms, determination of the market value of the lands, remediation of contaminated soil, phasing and ownership of public realm components and universal accessibility . It's been mentioned many times that once they determine the "market value" of the land, they'll then know where they stand once the cost of the soil decontamination is deducted from the purchase price of Lebreton Flats.

So unless you can point to something that says he's going to leasing the land, then you're still going to have to clarify what you meant by "it's going to cost him to run Lebreton" ......... it make no sense to me.
You can't purchase NCC land.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Disheartening to hear Elliotte’s report about Melnyk, seeing himself as the underdog, in for the long haul. I see no reason not take Melnyk at his word.

Owners have been rabidly hated by their fanbases and stayed for the long haul before. Looks like we are going to have to learn to survive such suffering as well. Would be nice if Bettman could put together a ‘How to be an Owner 101’ course for dummies and petulant billionaires who think it is genetically impossible for them to run their teams incompetently. If Melnyk wants to rise from an underdog status, he is going to have to master that course.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Disheartening to hear Elliotte’s report about Melnyk, seeing himself as the underdog, in for the long haul. I see no reason not take Melnyk at his word.

Owners have been rabidly hated by their fanbases and stayed for the long haul before. Looks like we are going to have to learn to survive such suffering as well. Would be nice if Bettman could put together a ‘How to be an Owner 101’ course for dummies and petulant billionaires who think it is genetically impossible for them to run their teams incompetently. If Melnyk wants to rise from an underdog status, he is going to have to master that course.

I feel your pain. No one wants this.

But if you love hockey, just enjoy the games. Life is short . Boys are playing their hearts out and , as fans, that is something to build on.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't get it. If you want to hang on so bad then treat the damn product like you actually care. Use your actions instead of words for once. All we've ever gotten from him is empty rhetoric about competing while everything else he does contradicts that. Why keep something you then manage in to the ground, is it just to spite those that want you out at this point? I would have theought the whole point and joy in owning and running an nhl franchise would be the on ice product itself, yet that's his last priority. Talk about discouraging as a fan to have heard that last night, holy shit.

He talks about being an underdog, so i guess he's referring to his financial situation he's trying to navigate. That would sound like a bit of a nail in the coffins of being able to keep 61 & 95, if he's struggling to hang on.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well given what EM has been through since he bought the team, putting up with some fans who want him to sell the team is not all that annoying IMO to him in the long run. While as fans we hated to see some of the things that have happened to the team over the course of the past yr there have also been some positives. We complained that they have the smallest front office in the NHL & they have slowly added to that over the course of the last few mths. Not at the pace some fans want to see but clearly they are slowly making incremental changes & eventually we should be able to determine whether those changes have helped or not soon. So far, so good.

We complained that they won't pay their stars & have gotten rid of some key players & that is true. However, the team finished second last in the NHL last yr & had to make some changes including getting rid of players who made too much once the decision to rebuild was made. When that decision was made is up for debate but regardless they made it & have been trimming fat & have gone towards a youth movement. I assume that one or both of Duchene & Stone will be re-signed & maybe Dzingel & Ceci too but I imagine they still need to cut some vets to make room. The team is changing during this transition & have plenty of potential good young players coming & the future looks brighter than it did three months ago. While I don't like it, it seems that EM might just survive this especially if the team continues to get better & their wins increase substantially from last season.

Spotlight

Aug 25, 2005

Not sure if you saw the other response but just to clarify ... He absolutely will be leasing the land at lebreton and not be purchasing it.. You can't own government land you lease it long term in this case it's an initial 100 year lease, that is renewed after the expiry or at that point the government could decide to expropriate everyone to regain the land.

They are negotiating for the right to develop the leased lands.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not sure if you saw the other response but just to clarify ... He absolutely will be leasing the land at lebreton and not be purchasing it.. You can't own government land you lease it long term in this case it's an initial 100 year lease, that is renewed after the expiry or at that point the government could decide to expropriate everyone to regain the land.

He saw it.

Just like OSEG did with Lansdowne. They have something like a 100 year lease. Also I don't think Melnyk has anything to do with anything else outside of the Rink.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Can someone stick Melnyk's ugly mug on this?
tcdundeec005092110-300x450.jpg

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You can't purchase NCC land.

Sorry, but you're

wrong[mod]

Once the master development agreement is approved, the NCC will retain ownership of 1.6 hectares (four acres) of future green space for public use along Wellington Street, selling the remaining 19.8 hectares (49 acres) of the 21.4-hectare (53-acre) site to RendezVous LeBreton Group.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Sorry, but you're incorrect.

The RendezVous LeBreton Group is buying 19.8 hectares (49 acres), at fair market value, minus the cost of the soil remediation.

A milestone announcement for the redevelopment of LeBreton Flats in… | National Capital Commission

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He saw it.

Just like OSEG did with Lansdowne. They have something like a 100 year lease. Also I don't think Melnyk has anything to do with anything else outside of the Rink.

Landsdowne was not NCC land.

Melnyks' RLG is BUYING 19.8 hectares, from NCC, not leasing.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Melynk is just in it for the money. He has put the bare minimum into the team all these years, pulled out the maximum amount of money, and knows damned well he is going to make hundreds of millions in pure profit from Lebreton.

Hell, to this day he still cheers for the leafs, ffs.

Reactions: GoSensGo

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Makes more sense for him to sell then, no? Non-hockey related revenues (e.g. concerts) are accounted for separately.

After Tkachuk was drafted, I was saying that with Karlsson this roster had the ability to surprise. Maybe even sneak in to the post season.

This is what sucks. A real hockey rebuild would have been a quick one built around the core of Karlsson, Chabot, Stone, Duchene, and Tkachuk.

Instead, the management continues to lie and liquidate the team. Melnyk's strategy is to gut the team of talent to cut costs, and hang on. Lebreton is the big carrot. Not the Stanley Cup.

He may want to be the fighting underdog, but we all know what Melnyk's biggest weakness is (besides character): money.

Hit his wallet, force him out.

#MelnykBoycott #MelnykOut #EmptyCTC

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I am not positive, but I am pretty sure they are buying the rights to the land with a 49 year lease. Difference being if they default and go bankrupt (like if they went belly up during construction) the land defaults back to the NCC and cannot be claimed by the bank. This prevents banks from being sketchy and essentially stealing the land at a discount. Like I said, not positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad