TSN: Mellanby linked to possible Las Vegas GM job?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I can't figure out why MB had this group with him anyhow...no one did anything...a couple of weeks ago it showed the crew of cronies up in the booth, eating poutine and hot dogs, Dudley looked like he put on 60 pounds...what a crew of cronies....no one in that crew including MB deserved their pay cheques this year....

Take whoever ya want guys...whoever...:rant:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
No, the NHL removed that rule again.

Unfortunately, because teams were being *******s about it. The NHL didn't expect that compensation would be required on fired personnel, which was happening. Vancouver getting a 2nd for Torts is a ****ing joke, and I think that was it for the NHL.

If Mellanby does become GM of Las Vegas Habs should get no compensation because he is getting a promotion. If Mellanby goes to LV as an assistant GM then Habs should be compensated because it's a sideways move and Habs are losing talent to another organization.

That is what the compensation rules were supposed to be about. Instead, we got fired coaches getting teams a 2nd. :rant:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Unfortunately, because teams were being *******s about it. The NHL didn't expect that compensation would be required on fired personnel, which was happening. Vancouver getting a 2nd for Torts is a ****ing joke, and I think that was it for the NHL.

If Mellanby does become GM of Las Vegas Habs should get no compensation because he is getting a promotion. If Mellanby goes to LV as an assistant GM then Habs should be compensated because it's a sideways move and Habs are losing talent to another organization.

That is what the compensation rules were supposed to be about. Instead, we got fired coaches getting teams a 2nd. :rant:
Dude it's enough compensation to be shedding one of the clowns from the front office.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

LMAO

We aren't losing talent.. we are losing a parasite that is sucking life out of the garden of Eden.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal

Unfortunately if MB ever fires MT we won't be getting a 2nd since no one is dumb enough to hire him in the first place oh wait

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Meh, maybe he'll get an assistant GM job with them, but from what I've read (and I don't have links) Las Vegas ownership would prefer a more experienced hand to run th whole show as GM.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
He was here since day one though.

In 2014 they had acquired:
Tom Gilbert - bottom-pairing d-man
PA Parenteau - soft 3rd liner
Manny ****ing Malhotra - non NHLer
Jiri Sekac - non NHLer
Joey MacDonald - non NHLer
Mike Weaver - 6th dman at best

In 2015 they had acquired:
Jeff Petry - 2nd pairing d-man
Torrey Mitchell - good 4th liner
Brian Flynn - 4th liner
Gonchar - non-NHLer
Allen - non-NHLer

I can't go on anymore.

Mellanby is part of this crew, this Drain Trust.

it's funny that you don't realize that all the players you mentionned, except for Petry, are all depth players.

They are nothing more than depth players. And I have news for you, depth players are only here to bring depth, they are not part of the big picture (the stanley cup).

If they are not part of the big picture, why do you focus so much on depth players? You should focus instead on our core, our core in relation to other top teams core in the league.

Ask yourself the question: What kind of core do the Habs need to be a contender? When you focus on that question instead of depth players, I promiss you that everything will make sense.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
it's funny that you don't realize that all the players you mentionned, except for Petry, are all depth players.

They are nothing more than depth players. And I have news for you, depth players are only here to bring depth, they are not part of the big picture (the stanley cup).

If they are not part of the big picture, why do you focus so much on depth players? You should focus instead on our core, our core in relation to other top teams core in the league.

Ask yourself the question: What kind of core do the Habs need to be a contender? When you focus on that question instead of depth players, I promiss you that everything will make sense.
They're BAD depth payers.

This organization doesn't acquire good players. They inherited all their good players and only sign BAD depth grinders to play BAD grinding, 4th line hockey.

Focus on the core you say? Which core players did BargainBin add in the last four fkn years??

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

This organization doesn't acquire good players. They inherited all their good players and only sign BAD depth grinders to play BAD grinding, 4th line hockey.

Focus on the core you say? Which core players did BargainBin add in the last four fkn years??

Galchenyuk and Petry

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal

Again that's the thing you don't seem to understand, good or bad, depth players are not part of the big picture. It doesn't matter if a depth player is good, average or bad, all these players are not part of the big picture which is bringing the cup back. And btw bad is your personal opinion, as an emotional fan seeing your team missing the playoff you say: "everyone is bad!!!"

What happened? The Habs finished 2nd in 12-13, they had 100 pts+ seasons after, they made some playoffs rounds, all the young kids are improving, Therrien was a Jack Adams candidate at the start of the season, and all of sudden every player, the GM, Therrien, everyone is bad?

Calm down, don't be too emotional. This team has a good core and the GM has a good plan and is not emotional contrary to you.

Regarding your last part, Bergevin doesn't necessarly need to the add to the core, he said since the beginning that the core will be built whithin the organisation, through draft picks, that means, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, McCarron, Scherback, etc this is how Bergevin wants to build his core. If you don't agree with his method, fine, but you have to realize one thing, every contender in the league right now are built the way Bergevon wants to build his team.

To answer your question Bergevin added Petry as a core player, we'll see in the future if that was good move, we can't judge yet.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Galchenyuk and Petry
Galchenyuk was scouted by a drafting department that was entirely operating without Bergevin's involvement. It's a huge stretch to credit Bergevin for drafting Galchenyuk, considering he didn't build the drafting team and only walzed into the picture with 3 weeks to go until the draft. Remember that Timmins is one of the most independant scouts in the league, he's known for his self-determinism and authority.

And Jeff Petry is a 3rd/4th d-man with a career high of 27 points. Who endured a really bad year.

You're hanging your hat on 1.5 acquisitions?

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Whiskey look at the core of some these NHL teams, just look at the forwards not the defense.

West: Anaheim, Chicago, Los-Angeles, San Jose
East: Tampa, Washington, Rangers

Now compare their forwards core to the Habs forwards core, you will see what the Habs miss:

-a #1 center
-forwards that perform under pressue
-forwards that are not afraid to get their nose dirty
-and so on

Do the exercise and add to this list, I promiss you that everything will make sense after that. You will know exactly what the Habs miss to be a contender.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Whiskey look at the core of some these NHL teams, just look at the forwards not the defense.

West: Anaheim, Chicago, Los-Angeles, San Jose
East: Tampa, Washington, Rangers

Now compare their forwards core to the Habs forwards core, you will see what the Habs miss:

-a #1 center
-forwards that perform under pressue
-forwards that are not afraid to get their nose dirty
-and so on

Do the exercise and add to this list, I promiss you that everything will make sense after that. You will know exactly what the Habs miss to be a contender.

Galchenyuk was drafted to become that #1 C and was instead played as LW for 3.5 years and given less than 17m/game

Every team has players that are good and not-so-good in the playoffs. Every team has physical and not-as-physical players. It's on the coach to get them to improve, it's on the leadership to get them to jump into other players. The organization has had FOUR years to identify which players to keep, which to jettison, which to acquire and which to mould. They've done none of that and in fact consistently espoused non-physical, risk-minimizing, chip-and-chase hockey.

You can't say that after FOUR years it's not BargainBin's fault we're not a contender. It's exactly and only BargainBin's fault.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Galchenyuk was drafted to become that #1 C and was instead played as LW for 3.5 years and given less than 17m/game

This is just secong guessing an NHL coach method, im not even getting into that because it's complete and pure speculation on your part.

Every team has players that are good and not-so-good in the playoffs. Every team has physical and not-as-physical players. It's on the coach to get them to improve, it's on the leadership to get them to jump into other players. The organization has had FOUR years to identify which players to keep, which to jettison, which to acquire and which to mould. They've done none of that and in fact consistently espoused non-physical, risk-minimizing, chip-and-chase hockey.

This is simply not true, if you need to lie to have a discussion, I can't discuss with you.

You can't say that after FOUR years it's not BargainBin's fault we're not a contender. It's exactly and only BargainBin's fault.

Again do the exercise with the contender teams around the league or recent cup winners, you will realize what the Habs need to be contender. You will see that Bergevin have nothing to do with it. You don't add Kopitar/Carter/Gaborik by magic, you don't add Bergeron/Krejci/Marchand/Lucic by magic, you don't add Toews/Hossa/Kane by magic, this is the real world, you're living in a fantasy world where Bergevin acquire any players he wants without giving away something meaningful, this is not how it works.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
This is just secong guessing an NHL coach method, im not even getting into that because it's complete and pure speculation on your part.
How is it speculation and second-guessing to identify that Galchenyuk was predominantly used as a LW for the past 4 years? What in the world... Do you know the words that you are expressing? Do you know what they mean?

This is simply not true, if you need to lie to have a discussion, I can't discuss with you.
I've consistently argued that I don't think they have added core players. I'm not lying. You're avoiding the topic that you brought up yourself. If FOUR years not one core player has been moved or acquired. Gorges was jettisoned and Petry was added, that's the extent of possibly impactful players being moved. So you lose whatever credibility you had when you bring up the issue and then avoid it and say you can't discuss it.

They've had FOUR years to address this supposed dearth of "warriors" and "physical" players - it's an argument I disagree with by the way, the players he's inherited are more than adequate, he just needed to add more and trade some for equally valuable but different pieces.

You're coming across as willfully ignorant right now.
Again do the exercise with the contender teams around the league or recent cup winners, you will realize what the Habs need to be contender. You will see that Bergevin have nothing to do with it. You don't add Kopitar/Carter/Gaborik by magic, you don't add Bergeron/Krejci/Marchand/Lucic by magic, you don't add Toews/Hossa/Kane by magic, this is the real world, you're living in a fantasy world where Bergevin acquire any players he wants without giving away something meaningful, this is not how it works.
I KNOW YOU DONT ADD PLAYERS BY MAGIC.

BARGAINBIN HAS NOT ADDED THESE IMPORTANT PLAYERS.

WHILE LA ACQUIRED CARTER, GABORIK AND OTHERS, AND CHICAGO GOT HOSSA AND CAMPBELL AND OTHERS - THE HABS HAVE NOT ACQUIRED A SINGLE IMPACT PLAYER. IT IS PRECISELY WHAT WE'VE BEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT. YOURE LITERALLY REPEATING OUR ARGUMENT AND THEN ACTING AS IF YOU REFUTED IT!! I KNOW YOU HAVE TO GIVE TO GET, IVE BEEN ARGUING THAT HE SHOULDVE IDENTIFIED WHAT TO TRADE AWAY (DD, PLEKANEC, ETC) TO GET WHATEVER PIECES WE WERE MISSING. HE DIDNT DO THAT, HE EXTENDED THEM INSTEAD.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
yes trade away DD to get Carter. This is what I mean by fantasy world, I mean this is so hilarious

The Kings acquired Carter by giving away a 1st round pick and Jack Johnson. His buddy Mike Richards was acquired by giving away Wayne Simmonds.

Buddy this is the real world, you don't give DD or the turtlenec to acquire a solid missing piece of the top 6 in return, what's wrong with you.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
yes trade away DD to get Carter. This is what I mean by fantasy world, I mean this is so hilarious

The Kings acquired Carter by giving away a 1st round pick and Jack Johnson. His buddy Mike Richards was acquired by giving away Wayne Simmonds.

Buddy this is the real world, you don't give DD or the turtlenec to acquire a solid missing piece of the top 6 in return, what's wrong with you.
Clearly I didn't say that only Pleks and DD should've been traded. I CLEARLY implied that the GM who is paid a lot of god damn money should have identified what pieces he wanted to keep and what he wanted to trade in order to get the pieces he thought would get us to the next level.

Much like Lombardi and Bowman did, much like every good GM does.

BargainBin did NOT make those moves, implying that he thought we could win with the players he inherited, which proved to be wrong FOUR YEARS IN A ROW.

Please read my posts again.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
How is it speculation and second-guessing to identify that Galchenyuk was predominantly used as a LW for the past 4 years? What in the world... Do you know the words that you are expressing? Do you know what they mean?

You're saying that using Galch as a LW for 3 and a half year was a bad decision by Therrien, you are 2nd guessing Therrien decision of playing him at LW.

Knowing what's the best position for Galch to play in the NHL is 100% speculation, you have absolutely no idea what's the best position Galch need to play at, you don't know Galch, you dont' know what's best or not, as a fan who knows nothing about Galch you can speculate all you want and say "what's best for Galch is to put him directly at center." This is complete speculation, you have zero idea of what you're talking about.

The only info you have is:
-Galch is a 3rd pick overall in 2012
-Galch is 6'2'
-Galch played at center with Yakupov in Sarnia in 10-11

After that you can speculate all you want about Galch.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
You're saying that using Galch as a LW for 3 and a half year was a bad decision by Therrien, you are 2nd guessing Therrien decision of playing him at LW.

Knowing what's the best position for Galch to play in the NHL is 100% speculation, you have absolutely no idea what's the best position Galch need to play at, you don't know Galch, you dont' know what's best or not, as a fan who knows nothing about Galch you can speculate all you want and say "what's best for Galch is to put him directly at center." This is complete speculation, you have zero idea of what you're talking about.

The only info you have is:
-Galch is a 3rd pick overall in 2012
-Galch is 6'2'
-Galch played at center with Yakupov in Sarnia in 10-11

After that you can speculate all you want about Galch.
Michel, c'est toi la?

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
BargainBin did NOT make those moves, implying that he thought we could win with the players he inherited, which proved to be wrong FOUR YEARS IN A ROW.

Because the Habs didnt win the cup in the last 4 years it proved to be wrong? Are you serious?

Bergevin inherited of players like Pacio, Subban, Price, Gallagher, Galch, etc but he didn't thought he could win the cup in his first 4 years, you're completely wrong about that.

But he believes in his core and he will try to build around it, adding some pieces via ufa's (Petry) or trades or rental's (Vanek) or developing other's draft picks like McCarron, Scherback and others.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
19K posts of speculation about the coach, the GM and the players.

Instead of speculating, what about telling things the way they are? Being objective? Being realistic? Acquiring hockey knowledge? Bringing up facts?

You should try these things instead of bringing up false information and speculating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->