Confirmed with Link: Meier signs ELC

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
As announced at tonight's STH Town Hall meeting.

Mueller, Goldobin and Meier were first up for answering questions from Rusanowsky.

Goldy looks small between them.

Mueller up to 210#

Last edited:

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
As announced at tonight's STH Town Hall meeting.

Mueller, Goldobin and Meier were first up for answering questions from Rusanowsky.

Goldy looks small between them.

Mueller up to 210#

Well Goldy is 5'11 and almost 30 lbs lighter then either of them. I don't know what it is, but Pavs is 5'11 too, and only 10 lbs heavier then Goldy, but he just looks so small in comparison to Pavs.

The Sharks NHL page lists Vlasic as 6'1, 205lbs and Braun 6'2, 205lbs. So if Mueller is 6'3, 210lbs, he might have taken the next step towards getting that NHL size.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
I'm sorry every time I hear the name "Goldy" this is what I picture:

20121227_274504.jpg

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.thescore.com/news/792135

I'm not gonna read too much into this but that first sentence is kinda interesting. Does anyone think he actually could make the team this season? It would certainly be nice but where could we slot him in to give him a good shot to produce and succeed. I don't wanna rush him if we don't have to and I know we don't usually do that with our top prospects so does anyone think he has a chance or that we'll give him one this season? Also I'm just curious, how exactly do entry level contracts work? What would happen if we didn't sign him right now or a bit later? I'm just curious on the process. Anyway I'm glad to hear he's making a good impression at camp already.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think we have too many top 9 wingers as is for him to supplant them. Him playing 4th line minutes = no bueno.

Seeing as how many quality top 9 players we have right now, I don't think him playing 4th line minutes would have ill effect. Like look at the roster as it is and the only garbage tier player we have is Mike Brown. If they plan on rolling Hertl as a center, that means that Tierney would be his likely 4C and Smith would be the other guy on that line.

It really wouldn't be all that bad at all to play with a sparkplug like Smith and playmaker like Tierney. I can't help but feel like the bottom 6 will be run more like a 3A and 3B lines next year.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
I think we have too many top 9 wingers as is for him to supplant them. Him playing 4th line minutes = no bueno.

how about 3b line minutes? :)

but seriously. I know most seem to want hertle at C, but

Hertle - Tierney - Meier

could be good. not sure about Tierney on wing, but you could swap him with hertle

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Great deal! :sarcasm:

I'm looking forward to see what he can do with the team. Obviously it won't be this year. Next year though, we should have both him and Goldobin entering the lineup, and at least one of Donskoi, Jevpalovs, Chartier or Rod competing. Should be very interesting.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
http://www.thescore.com/news/792135

I'm not gonna read too much into this but that first sentence is kinda interesting. Does anyone think he actually could make the team this season? It would certainly be nice but where could we slot him in to give him a good shot to produce and succeed. I don't wanna rush him if we don't have to and I know we don't usually do that with our top prospects so does anyone think he has a chance or that we'll give him one this season? Also I'm just curious, how exactly do entry level contracts work? What would happen if we didn't sign him right now or a bit later? I'm just curious on the process. Anyway I'm glad to hear he's making a good impression at camp already.

I hope not. It's so rare for non elite (think MacKinnon, McDavid) 18/19yo's to jump straight from the CHL to the NHL and have positive impact on the ice. Considering the parts of his game that need work I really, really hope they take their time with him. I'm guessing he'll stick all the way through pre-season and be one of the final cuts.

As for his ELC...teams own the rights to players drafted out the CHL for 2 (if they're unsigned after the first year they have to be issued a bonafied offer) years so generally speaking it doesn't really matter when they sign. Top 10 picks tend to be signed very quickly so this isn't at all surprise.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
If he can prove himself in training camp, stick him to the 3rd line, and give him some PP opportunities.

I'm sorry, was I supposed to give the usual..."ugh he's not ready, put him in the juniors and let him develop until he's ready to be a UFA...ugh...this team...ugh why couldn't we draft someone better in a top-10 pick...ugh..."

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
You mean HF poster because literally we could trade Crosby for Couture straight up and people would complain.

No more cap space=no more depth. mike brown is the only winger we can afford now. rabble.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Seeing as how many quality top 9 players we have right now, I don't think him playing 4th line minutes would have ill effect. Like look at the roster as it is and the only garbage tier player we have is Mike Brown. If they plan on rolling Hertl as a center, that means that Tierney would be his likely 4C and Smith would be the other guy on that line.

It really wouldn't be all that bad at all to play with a sparkplug like Smith and playmaker like Tierney. I can't help but feel like the bottom 6 will be run more like a 3A and 3B lines next year.

actually this is a good thing, they can reduce Thornton and Pattys minutes while still being an effective team.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Well Goldy is 5'11 and almost 30 lbs lighter then either of them. I don't know what it is, but Pavs is 5'11 too, and only 10 lbs heavier then Goldy, but he just looks so small in comparison to Pavs.

The Sharks NHL page lists Vlasic as 6'1, 205lbs and Braun 6'2, 205lbs. So if Mueller is 6'3, 210lbs, he might have taken the next step towards getting that NHL size.

10lbs difference is a lot when we're talking athletes, assuming it's muscle mass. Pavs is also about 10 years older. Men continue to fill out their bodies into their mid to late 20's. Some, like Meier, fill out early. I'm not the least bit concerned. Goldy's Instagram has plenty of selfies in tank tops and he's gaining mass.

I've also stood side by side with Pavs about 3/4 years ago and he didn't look like an athlete at all. Pretty slim with a weird chest shape. I'm only 5'8" (and 1/4) and he didn't appear to even be that much taller than me either. But he's filled out. You can see it in his shoulders and neck. Goldy will be fine.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Mueller has muscled up well by the pic I seen of him. Can't wait to see him play a full year somewhere.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Very good news. I as well cannot wait to see him at training camp.

Good points and totally agree.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

If Meier can prove he belongs in the top 9 I don't have as big an issue with him staying but there is no reason to keep him around to play 4th line minutes.

While the 4th line should be much better this season (though DW apparently said the team missed Mike Brown on the ice a lot last season) there are still only so many minutes to go around both at evens and on the PP.

While Meier's size was an advantage against mostly teenagers in the Q it's not going to be an advantage in the NHL to start with. He needs to develop his playmaking abilities, defensive game, improve his skating & while it's possible to do that in the NHL it's much easier to improve those things while playing a lot and being in a league where making mistakes isn't going to get you benched.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If Meier can prove he belongs in the top 9 I don't have as big an issue with him staying but there is no reason to keep him around to play 4th line minutes.

While the 4th line should be much better this season (though DW apparently said the team missed Mike Brown on the ice a lot last season) there are still only so many minutes to go around both at evens and on the PP.

While Meier's size was an advantage against mostly teenagers in the Q it's not going to be an advantage in the NHL to start with. He needs to develop his playmaking abilities, defensive game, improve his skating & while it's possible to do that in the NHL it's much easier to improve those things while playing a lot and being in a league where making mistakes isn't going to get you benched.

Fair points that I totally agree with.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
He could get 9 games with 4th line minutes and than sent down unless he looks amazing and can get moved up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad