Mega financial scandal (Ronaldo, Falcao, Mourinho, Mendes)

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Can't wait to see Ronaldo fans reaction

I'll say the same thing I said when the Messi news were revealed.... are you really surprised?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm pretty sure Messi said something along the lines of "I don't really know what I sign, they put the paper in front of me and I sign it." I'm sure this is incredibly common with big name athletes, they get accountants and financial advisors that save them money, but the players themselves really have no clue if it's illegal or no until they get slapped with tax evasion.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
It's not tax fraud

Tax shelters are shady but not illegal

We still don't know the extent of wrongdoing here (if there is any) since the file dump is going to be this Sunday.

Still, it's a bad look all around for the players named here. Madrid won't take this too kindly, if they aren't hypocrites ;)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
As part of this apparently it has been found out that Michael Laudrup was fired from Swansea because he was defrauding the club.

Explains why he wasn't given another European job.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
As part of this apparently it has been found out that Michael Laudrup was fired from Swansea because he was defrauding the club.

Explains why he wasn't given another European job.

Aww ****. I liked him so much as a coach. I thought he was staying in Qatar because it paid well. Hope that's not true.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Fraud and stuff like that happens due to a complete lack of oversight. It does happen somewhat in American sports between agents and players but really not quite to this degree of outright stealing from teams and getting away with it.

Taxes? Happens everywhere, but there are less foreign players in American sports leagues and as a result it's more difficult to hide your money.

Also, pay is publicized in the US to prevent this. I can tell you how much any Laker player makes. Exactly how they got to the team. I cannot tell you how much every Liverpool player makes and how much transfers exactly cost. When they are exactly paid. That's the problem. There is too much opportunity to steal.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Actually tax shelters are fraud...

That really isn't true in a general sense.

It depends on a bunch of factors. If Ronaldo was hiding the income he got from Real Madrid to pay the Spanish state less in taxes, that would be fraud. But this leak refers to money he made off international commercial dealings, outside of Spain, and that money going into these offshore dealings. It's "shady" and the intent is barely covered, but at the end of the day, it's just what about every rich guy with a skilled accountant does - move just on the line of what the law allows, and the Spanish tax law isn't exactly the harshest. I don't (yet) see this being much of a scandal, to be honest. This is another confirmation of rich people paying top tax lawyers to use the existing rules to their biggest possible advantage, which is barely news, let alone a scandal. The sources I saw rather clearly treat it as something they deem shady, but very possibly within the leniant Spanish tax law, and merely morally questionable.

And I say that as someone who does not like CR one bit and will happily use this (in some way) in a debate with my Portugese friend who mainained that CR was a much better human being than Messi for the latter's dealings.

Also, pay is publicized in the US to prevent this. I can tell you how much any Laker player makes. Exactly how they got to the team. I cannot tell you how much every Liverpool player makes and how much transfers exactly cost. When they are exactly paid. That's the problem. There is too much opportunity to steal.
That isn't really the issue. This isn't about money CR made off Real Madrid, this seems to be about international endorsement deals outside of Spain. Noone would know about that, just like noone knows about what any Laker player makes of some Japanese commercial. The opportunities are about the same. Trying to evade taxes from your national employer is just about the dumbest thing one could even try to attempt (in the EU, at least), and I'm not even sure there is much of a way to attempt it, given how social insurance etc. work over here, and it would require the employer's collaboration, at the very least, which there are no signs of in this case.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Apparently, Odegaard was proposed it and rejected it because of ethical issues.

Guy has no club taste, but he goes up in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad