Meeting today 6/22?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I believe the Patrick Ewing quote was, "we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too." Classic. Jim Rome has made a living off of this quote for years...

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
McCabe doesn't get away with it...and in fact gets it much worse, so Modano doesn't either. The one positive to draw from the critical comments about players (although I do get ticked a little bit at how the mental superiority comments get at times. Just because they are hockey players and you are some kid/adult (myself included) doesn't automatically make you more/less intelligent) is that they have been there tearing them apart when they make them, regardless of stature.

I think the only people who could get away with it would be of the Lemieux/Gretzky stature, and even then I wonder.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
Taranis_24 said:
Man, is Modano ever going to live this down? Give the guy a break he has tried making amends (TSN interview a few months ago) since making this remark.

Umm...NO. It was a sarcastic comment that implied that it was not worth it for him to work for a wage (unfair as it may have been) that other people do in fact have to live with.

It was the definint moment where an Elite Hockey Player acknowledged he is not playing for the "love of the game" but for the $$$. The exact attitude that many fans hate.

He doesn't deserve to ever live it down.

OilKiller

Feb 1, 2005
canadatv.invisionzone.com
ZaphodBeeblebrox said:
Umm...NO. It was a sarcastic comment that implied that it was not worth it for him to work for a wage (unfair as it may have been) that other people do in fact have to live with.

It was the definint moment where an Elite Hockey Player acknowledged he is not playing for the "love of the game" but for the $$$. The exact attitude that many fans hate.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
ZaphodBeeblebrox said:

Yeah, because it would be really, really worth it for him to risk his future earnings potential and the chance to play for the stanley cup so that he could go play in the ECHL with a few hundred no-talent head-hunting goons 'for the love of the game'...

Would you take unauthorized time away from your job to go mow lawns for $25 each? Of course not. You'd never risk your earnings potential and the chance to advance in your carrer for something that is worth far, far less..

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
EndBoards said:
Yeah, because it would be really, really worth it for him to risk his future earnings potential and the chance to play for the stanley cup so that he could go play in the ECHL with a few hundred no-talent head-hunting goons 'for the love of the game'...

Would you take unauthorized time away from your job to go mow lawns for $25 each? Of course not. You'd never risk your earnings potential and the chance to advance in your carrer for something that is worth far, far less..

I thought one or two players did just that?

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
"On Halloween 2004, Sprewell, who was in the final season of a $62-million, five-year deal he signed with the Knicks, said he was insulted by Minnesota' s offer of a contract extension that was reportedly worth between $27 million and $30 million for three seasons. "I've got my family to feed," he said."

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Is it just me or there hasn't been much news about the meetings recently. I haven't seen or read any articles on the meetings or after the meetings except for some 2-3 paragraphe long articles saying hte same thing over again (2 weeks) :dunno:

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Only thing the media says "Allot of work left" ... "another 2 weeks or so" . Both statements mean absolutely nothing............. :D

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
19nazzy said:
"On Halloween 2004, Sprewell, who was in the final season of a $62-million, five-year deal he signed with the Knicks, said he was insulted by Minnesota' s offer of a contract extension that was reportedly worth between $27 million and $30 million for three seasons. "I've got my family to feed," he said."

:biglaugh:

I'll say it again, the NBA is a JOKE

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
EndBoards said:

Maybe I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't announce the fact by saying

"$25 to mow a lawn? That's not enough to feed my iguanas for a week!"

There's reason, and then there's inept insensitivity to the rest of the world.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
PitkanenPower said:
What's your thinking?

There's nothing left to discuss. Everyone knows what's going on. All this would be now is "if he says this, then we're going to say this, that and the other thing"

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Montrealer said:
Maybe I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't announce the fact by saying

"$25 to mow a lawn? That's not enough to feed my iguanas for a week!"

There's reason, and then there's inept insensitivity to the rest of the world.
There's also such a thing as an ill-timed sarcastic remark that gets repeated ad nausem for almost a year now. I'm sure you've said things sarcastically didn't make you look brilliant.

Yes, he should have known better than to say it, but to say he doesn't deserve to live it down is not only a tad harsh, it's inane and, this far after the fact, annoying.

The original comment was funny, about the dogs paying the lawyer fees. Everything else making sweeping character judgements on Modano is just old.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Kritter471 said:
There's also such a thing as an ill-timed sarcastic remark that gets repeated ad nausem for almost a year now. I'm sure you've said things sarcastically didn't make you look brilliant.

Yes, he should have known better than to say it, but to say he doesn't deserve to live it down is not only a tad harsh, it's inane and, this far after the fact, annoying.

The original comment was funny, about the dogs paying the lawyer fees. Everything else making sweeping character judgements on Modano is just old.
Yep Modano has gotten a bad rap. He's generally a pretty shy guy during interviews and attempts to joke. People took it as if he were trying to insult anyone who doesnt make millions of dollars and he simply wasnt

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Alfredsson says ....."Hopefully, this is all going to be something positive in the end. I just don't want to say we're close because until it's done, we're not done. You might say that you are confident and then the whole deal falls apart. Hopefully, the work that is being done now will lead to a deal."

"Will there be an NHL deal soon? Maybe? Likely? Yes? But Daniel Alfredsson is cautious when commenting on the fragile labour negotiations.

He's optimistic that talks are headed in the right direction for the the NHL's return next season."

$36-$39-MILLION CAP
Talks between the NHL and the NHLPA officials continued yesterday. The belief is the players have agreed to accept a concept of a salary cap in the $36-$39-million (all figures US) range with a floor of $22 million.

Sources say the players are also going to be asked to accept a 24% rollback on existing contracts. The two sides still have to work out the issues of salary arbitration, free agency and whether the contracts that passed during the 2004-05 season are going to be honoured. Any of those could be deal breakers.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/Sports/2005/06/22/1098878-sun.html

CalgaryThrasher

Feb 28, 2003
Calgary Alberta Cana
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Alfredsson says ....."Hopefully, this is all going to be something positive in the end. I just don't want to say we're close because until it's done, we're not done. You might say that you are confident and then the whole deal falls apart. Hopefully, the work that is being done now will lead to a deal."

Here's another quote from Alfredsson "We'll never accept a cap... ever"

Alfredsson is a ****** bag and I wouldnt want him on my team if he played for free. He's Bob Goodenow's puppy dog.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
txomisc said:
Yep Modano has gotten a bad rap. He's generally a pretty shy guy during interviews and attempts to joke. People took it as if he were trying to insult anyone who doesnt make millions of dollars and he simply wasnt

You're right, he probably never had to go through an interview before that one. It must have been a horrifying experience for the poor soul.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
CalgaryThrasher said:
Here's another quote from Alfredsson "We'll never accept a cap... ever"

Alfredsson is a ****** bag and I wouldnt want him on my team if he played for free. He's Bob Goodenow's puppy dog.

And you're not even a leafs fan!
:biglaugh:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
EndBoards said:

Scott Gomez would like a word with you.

Oh, and he says he'd like to show you a few scars from this past season.

Just to ere on the side of caution, my initial statement was just for joking's sake. Sounds like we escalated this much more than it needed to be. Hence, I subbed out Modano (whom I generally enjoy and have no issues with) for McCabe. Heck, Alfie popped up in the discussion too so let's feed his career with McCabe's to the lawyers' fee monster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->