Status
Not open for further replies.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
That includes an option on Joseph which was only exercised if Detroit won the Cup in one of his first 3 years, or a toal of 6 (I think) playoff series. So you can take his $6M off the books, leaving a total of a little over $32M.

Actually without Cujo's contract and with the 24% rollback the Wings payroll is a hair under 31 million dollars. But they do have some RFA's and UFA's to sign. So a big salary player still has to go.

2005-2006 payroll minus Cujo is 40,775,000 with the 24% rollback 30,979,000

King_Brown

JWI19 said:
Even though i'm no McKenzie i'll add my 2 cents. Just my guess on that subject is the NHL/NHLPA have agreed on what expected revenues will be and have set their percentage off of that. Now if revenues rise to a certain number the percentage would rise all. For example lets say they are 54% of 2 billion dollars. Now if revenue rise to 2.5 billion the players percentage would raise to 56% or something like that.

Of course i could be wrong but thats what it means to me.

Hmm, but still even if they get 54% o 2 billion, would the cap not be higher if the revenues go to 2.5 billion and they 54%?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
From what I have heard and read... is all about making sure one side or the other does not get "screwed"..

Now.. you might want to say the PA is already there... but really, if most of the details we are hearing are true, minus the fact they lost a years worth of pay, the PA might actually be getting a better deal thant eh 42.5 that ended the season....

Both sides will spend at least the weekend, if not a week or more looking at the details.... The two sides will get together again, perhaps change a word there... a number here.... then take another day to look at it....

If one side or the other finds a major flaw, the whole thing could go up in a ball of flames..

We could have a deal tomorrow... and just not know about it for a week or more...

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
JWI19 said:
Actually without Cujo's contract and with the 24% rollback the Wings payroll is a hair under 31 million dollars. But they do have some RFA's and UFA's to sign. So a big salary player still has to go.

2005-2006 payroll minus Cujo is 40,775,000 with the 24% rollback 30,979,000

I'm just going by the NHLPA's December 9th numbers, I think they're probably the most accurate.

But, either way, like I said, the Red Wings are goign to be under the cap. I'm just hoping the league lets any team expose players or buy them out so we can get Whitney's salary off the books. Then we'd have enough money to get someone else's goalie and buy yet another cup.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
King_Brown said:
Hmm, but still even if they get 54% o 2 billion, would the cap not be higher if the revenues go to 2.5 billion and they 54%?

Your right the cap would be higher if revenue was 2.5b and 54%. But moving the percentage up would just be more incentive for the PA to make sure they help expand the game.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
I'm just going by the NHLPA's December 9th numbers, I think they're probably the most accurate.

But, either way, like I said, the Red Wings are goign to be under the cap. I'm just hoping the league lets any team expose players or buy them out so we can get Whitney's salary off the books. Then we'd have enough money to get someone else's goalie and buy yet another cup.

I loved to see that Hatcher salary dumped especially since Holland back loaded it. But one of IMO Lang will be the one to go.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Drury_Sakic said:
From what I have heard and read... is all about making sure one side or the other does not get "screwed"..

Now.. you might want to say the PA is already there... but really, if most of the details we are hearing are true, minus the fact they lost a years worth of pay, the PA might actually be getting a better deal thant eh 42.5 that ended the season....

No question about it. At worst, the players break even between a $42.5 cap or $24M floor-$37M cap. The possibility of upward linkage and the acceptance of the PA's Decemebr 9 QO's and arbitration amke it a cleary better deal than the February offer.

King_Brown

No questions getting linkage right now, might be bad right now, but 5 years down the road it will be the best deal for them instead of being stuck at 42.5 every year with no room for growth.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
JWI19 said:
I loved to see that Hatcher salary dumped especially since Holland back loaded it. But one of IMO Lang will be the one to go.

I don't know if we need to dump Hatcher, but a contract restructure is certainly in the cards. And if there is always the oppurtunity for buyouts(and before anybody jumps down my throat, note that I said "if"), we can always buy him out later.

Malo

Dec 14, 2004
King_Brown said:
No questions getting linkage right now, might be bad right now, but 5 years down the road it will be the best deal for them instead of being stuck at 42.5 every year with no room for growth.

you have to think the league will safe guard agasn't the cap getting to high, they might just make is so it can go up to like 45 million and no higher

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Malo said:
you have to think the league will safe guard agasn't the cap getting to high, they might just make is so it can go up to like 45 million and no higher

why should they care? Remember the owners are getting 46% of the revenue. Whats better, 46% of 2 billion or 46% of 3 billion?

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Malo said:

Back the truck up there. I thought the league wanted a partnership?

King_Brown

Malo said:

I highly doubt that. If they continue to make money, why would they ruin a good thing. Thats the whole point of linkage, being able afford salaries in a manner that grows with revenues. I think the NHL will have a linkage percentage where they will not go any higher, my guess is 60% once revenues are abouve 3 billion. They will continue to pay the players in a system that player costs don't over run what they can afford. So if the NHL would kill a deal with linkage, and a hard cap because they don't want to pay the player more then $45 million per a team, even if revenues rise, then I think they should fold the league right now.

Malo

Dec 14, 2004
hockeytown9321 said:
Back the truck up there. I thought the league wanted a partnership?

i'm talking about making so that it takes a big jump in rev. to get the cap to move. but after this whole lockout, i think it will be awhile maybe 5 years before the league gets anywhere near 3 billion

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Too much speculation at this point, especially regarding the dispersal draft. I can't help but think a few of these media types have nothing better to do. ;) :D

...wait a minute, why am I here then...I guess that includes me and everyone else on this forum as well. Hockey is a funny thing. ;)

Days like these I'm glad that I can put EHM on my laptop and bring the Rangers back into Cup contention. Here's a deal for you:

To NYR: Jeff Woywitka and 5th Round Selection in 2005
To EDM: Jason LaBarbera and 3rd Round 2005, 4th Round 2006

and

To NYR: Mike Stuart and 3rd Round 2005
TO STL: Mike Dunham

Good-bye Dunny! :D

----------------

Maybe if they get this CBA straightened out we'll have enough time to put in the new rules for the NA release. ;)

King_Brown

Malo said:
i'm talking about making so that it takes a big jump in rev. to get the cap to move. but after this whole lockout, i think it will be awhile maybe 5 years before the league gets anywhere near 3 billion

You don't understand linkage properly I guess. 54% of a rising number will cause the cap to go higher. The cap is a floating cap which means it will probablly never be the same each year. So if revenues dip the cap goes down, if revenues go up the cap goes up. Im sure once they reach a managable level the % that goes to the player will rise also. The NHL will not back out of a deal that has linkage because they want all the revenues to themselves and don't want to pay more then 45 million.

Malo

Dec 14, 2004
okay so i was thinking of this in the wrong way, i just did some math and with 30 teams and 3 billion in rev. each cap would be somewhere in the range of 54 million per team, but how many of you think it will get to 3 billion?

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
Hey anybody hear about the status of the meetings? Have they started? If so, how long have they met today? Any news?

King_Brown

They prolly started at like 9 or 10 no concrete info.

The revenues could go up to 3 billion, but it will take a lot of time, a tv contract that pays money, and the partnership.

Malo

Dec 14, 2004
King_Brown said:
They prolly started at like 9 or 10 no concrete info.

The revenues could go up to 3 billion, but it will take a lot of time, a tv contract that pays money, and the partnership.

but if you take 54% of 1.5 billion is only 27million per team, so if everyone is right about losess of rev. for next year, why would the cap be 38.5 or so that like 74% of rev.

King_Brown

They cant use fictional revenues to determine a cap, they will use that $2.1 Billion or a little less.

Malo

Dec 14, 2004
but than next year it would be say 37.5 million, than with real numbers it could fall to 27 million, wow thats going to piss some people off

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Malo said:
but than next year it would be say 37.5 million, than with real numbers it could fall to 27 million, wow thats going to piss some people off

The league has a projection of what their revenes will be next year. Thats what they're going to base the inital cap on. It may go down after that, but by the end of the CBA, it will be much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad