Meeting Day Thread 6/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Hockey players on sale !!
The Brick and the Leafs, will have a Hockey player sale, buy any two and get a free HDTV.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The 500K rookie cap must be the bonus money. The PA and NHL have both been in the mid 800k range for the salary, and I don't think either side has an interest in making it 500k. At that level, the possibilty of players not coming over from Europe becomes REALLY strong.

carey3037

Mar 11, 2004
NJ
Egil said:
The 500K rookie cap must be the bonus money. The PA and NHL have both been in the mid 800k range for the salary, and I don't think either side has an interest in making it 500k. At that level, the possibilty of players not coming over from Europe becomes REALLY strong.
As far as I understood, the cap was on salary. However, any rookie bonuses would count against the cap as well, according to Watters.

Also, as Leafs Lunch was ending, they reported meetings have not occurred yet today, because of John D'Amico's funeral. Will begin sometime later today.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
carey3037 said:
Today's Leafs Lunch Recap:

Watters reported many major terms of the new CBA had been settled:
--Watters reported 24M floor, 37.5M ceiling (Russ Conway later said the range was 24-25 and 36.8-38.6, so take your pick); however, nothing was mentioned of a luxury tax (which Dennis Beyak specifically mentioned in yesterday's "imminent deal" report) or a set linked revenue %.
--500k rookie cap (Watters said that "rookies thrown under the bus")
--Watters said QO's "mirror Dec 9 PA proposal" (Watters said 100% for 1M+, 110% for everything under 1M)

However, some things still unsettled, mentioning:
1)Training camp expenses
2)Per diem rates

Watters also reported Goodenow has been "campaigning hard with his hardline brethren" (mentioned Irbe and Damphousse by name) for the last 48 hours to stop the deal. Called it "one last attempt to garner support."
He also said with regard to Helene Elliott's article today, the 24% rollback wipeout or honoring last year's contracts would never be agreed to by ownership (although it sounded more like personal conjecture/opinion than coming from an actual "source").

The other big news was Watters' report of a possible Dispersal Draft that is still not finalized but would be part of the new CBA, which would be used to cut substantial payroll for teams previously "warned by Bettman" to cut their player costs (according to Watters, as soon as the CBA is done, all teams need to be within the cap limits without exception).
--Alternative to grandfathering contracts, which would not happen according to Watters (again, sounded more like personal opinion than "source" info).
--Said at least 6 teams were included (named NYR, DET, COL, TOR, and PHI).
--There would be a 5 or 6 player protected list for the above teams, the rest of the rosters would be fair game for a dispersal draft to the rest of the league.
--Watters put forth two scenarios:
1)the team losing the player would pay up to $4M of the dispersed player's salary, and the claiming team would pay the rest (used the example of a 6.5M salary...TOR would pay 4M, the claiming team would pay 2.5);
OR, 2)the team losing the player would just buy out the player's existing contract.
--However, interviewing Russ Conway just now, Conway reversed one of the scenarios, saying that he heard the claiming team would be the team paying the 4M higher total, and the team losing the player would pay the lower remaining amount...so you have two guys saying two different things....
--No compensation WHATSOEVER for the team losing the player.
--Nothing mentioned about a dispersal draft order, or how multiple claims would be handled.

Did you just make up that part (with the named teams)?? Because there is at least 10-12 teams with a higher payroll then the Rangers.

carey3037

Mar 11, 2004
NJ
Watters said at least 6 teams would be included in this dispersal draft, and he named those 5 teams. I didn't include anything except his own language.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
carey3037 said:
Watters said at least 6 teams would be included in this dispersal draft, and he named those 5 teams. I didn't include anything except his own language.

kk, thanks for the info btw.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
LOL

I love it ... no Grandfathering and dispersal draft for those over the cap.

Just the thought of a dispersal draft means that there is some sort of inkling that 04-05 contracts are going to be honoured in some way.

King_Brown

First of all Bill Watters is insane. Before the season was cancelled slowly Bill was loosing his mind. At the very end he looked crazy with his hair everywhere, appearing very crazy. Not until Bob McKenzie is sitting on his TSN chair with that goof of a partner Glenny Healy, with a big smile on his face, saying this lockout is nearing the end, it looks to be days away, and he outlines everything, and we cut back to him again with a huge smile, I wont believe anything. It was him who kept us in line when Hockey News said there was a deal. Bob what are you doing in the east, come out to the west, and run for PM.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Was there any talk of a Jaromir Jagr rule in the CBA where the actual team paying the salary absorbs that cost in there cap? Washington paying 4.5 mill per year of JJs' salary.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
JWI19 said:
I'm gonna wait to comment on the whole dispersal draft and protecting players till all the info comes out.

As will I, but i'd like to clarify one point-Detroit's payroll is under every one of the reported cap figures.

King_Brown

hockeytown9321 said:
As will I, but i'd like to clarify one point-Detroit's payroll is under every one of the reported cap figures.

Thats awesome, Detroit has 1 line under the Cap ready to go. Im sure Lonny Bohonos and Corey Hirsch are licking there chops ready to suit up for the Red Wings.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
JWI19 said:
I'm gonna wait to comment on the whole dispersal draft and protecting players till all the info comes out.

Smart man. I can't count the number of times I've seen a thread take on a life of its own only to find out later, oops, whatever was in the thread isn't happening after all. I can't say with authority there won't be a dispersal draft, but I will say I don't believe it's been the subject of much, if any, negotiation, which runs contrary to many of my fellow media members. We'll see, I guess.

Edit: Wow, do I get anything, a prize or something, for my 100th post. Take this in the manner it's meant, but I gotta get a life. You too. :D

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
hockeytown9321 said:

According the salary figures from the NHLPA's December 9 proposal,Detroit has $50.225 million committed for 16 players.With the 24% rollback,Detroit has $38.194 million committed.The highest of any team.Page 7 of the December 9 proposal

Philly is #2 with $33.783 million for 13 players after the rollback

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
hockeytown9321 said:
How do you figure? What reported cap numbers are you looking at?

'04-'05 without rollback $57.1M with rollback $43.4M for 21 players (minus Datsyuk, Hudler, and possibly Chelios.)
'05-'06 without rollback $42.3M with rollback $32.1M for 15 players (minus Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, a 2nd goalie, Yzerman, Dandenault, and possibly Chelios).

The only way Detroit is under a cap is with the '04-'05 contracts wiped out and a rollback of 24% and even then it is going to take selective RFA retention to stay under a mid to upper $30M cap which is what most sources are reporting on these days. We'd be lucky to stay under $40M with the players we need to sign to complete our roster.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
According the salary figures from the NHLPA's December 9 proposal,Detroit has $50.225 million committed for 16 players.With the 24% rollback,Detroit has $38.194 million committed.The highest of any team.Page 7 of the December 9 proposal

Yeah but 8 million dollars of that was a team option on Cujo. Do you think the Wings would really pick up that option with a cap in effect?

http://www.allsports.com/nhl/redwings/features/orgchart.html

Duff88

May 7, 2002
BobMckenzie said:
Smart man. I can't count the number of times I've seen a thread take on a life of its own only to find out later, oops, whatever was in the thread isn't happening after all. I can't say with authority there won't be a dispersal draft, but I will say I don't believe it's been the subject of much, if any, negotiation, which runs contrary to many of my fellow media members. We'll see, I guess.

Edit: Wow, do I get anything, a prize or something, for my 100th post. Take this in the manner it's meant, but I gotta get a life. You too. :D

But in the whole discussions of this week are you optimistic or pessimistic? BTW, your opinions are really appreciated and I think you should not stop posting; after all you're the one with the better sources around here and everyone loves when they see a post by BobMcKenzie!

King_Brown

Bob should become the head hockey puck here.

I still don't there will be a deal until Bob tells me to feel otherwise.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Duff88 said:
But in the whole discussions of this week are you optimistic or pessimistic? BTW, your opinions are really appreciated and I think you should not stop posting; after all you're the one with the better sources around here and everyone loves when they see a post by BobMcKenzie!

Agreed!

:bow: BobMckenzie :bow:

King_Brown

Bob if u can clarify one thing for me please. We they are talking linkage right. My question is this, before hand the NHL offered 54% linkage for a cap figure each year correct? Was the cap not gonna move, because if revenues went up im sure the cap would of went up also right? So why is the reports now saying that the NHLPA brought a concept for a floating cap tied to revenues? Is this still the same type of linkage or part linkage somehow? I don't understand why the media is saying this is a new type of concept, since the NHL has been wanting the exact same thing and offered it all along, a floating cap with linkage.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
King_Brown said:
Thats awesome, Detroit has 1 line under the Cap ready to go. Im sure Lonny Bohonos and Corey Hirsch are licking there chops ready to suit up for the Red Wings.

Jesus, why does everybody have to be so confrontational? For the record, the Red Wings have 15 players under contract for 2005-2006 at a payroll of about $32M(after rollback), and 4 RFA's(most likely they will be under the new CBA too, and one of which they won't sign-Jason Williams) whose QO's will total about $2.6M. It will be tight, but they should be able to resign Datsyuk, assuming his Russian deal allows it.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
hockeytown9321 said:

Lidstrom $10,000,000.00 $7,600,000.00
Joseph $8,000,000.00 $6,080,000.00
Hatcher $5,000,000.00 $3,800,000.00
Lang $5,000,000.00 $3,800,000.00
Yzerman $4,500,000.00 $3,420,000.00
Shanahan $4,000,000.00 $3,040,000.00
Whitney $3,250,000.00 $2,470,000.00
Draper $2,800,000.00 $2,128,000.00
McCarty $2,250,000.00 $1,710,000.00
Maltby $1,925,000.00 $1,463,000.00
Holmstrom $1,800,000.00 $1,368,000.00
Dandenault $1,595,000.00 $1,212,200.00
Fischer $1,500,000.00 $1,140,000.00
Legace $1,330,000.00 $1,010,800.00
Woolley $925,000.00 $703,000.00
Zetterberg $650,000.00 $494,000.00
Williams $425,000.00 $323,000.00
Rivers $400,000.00 $304,000.00
Mowers $375,000.00 $285,000.00

player, before rollback, after rollback

either way over 38 million, the most commonly mentioned cap figure

88Headdown

Jun 1, 2005
BobMckenzie said:

- Sweet, all of a sudden I feel good about only having 3 posts.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
RangerBoy said:

That includes an option on Joseph which was only exercised if Detroit won the Cup in one of his first 3 years, or a toal of 6 (I think) playoff series. So you can take his $6M off the books, leaving a total of a little over $32M.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
King_Brown said:
Bob if u can clarify one thing for me please. We they are talking linkage right. My question is this, before hand the NHL offered 54% linkage for a cap figure each year correct? Was the cap not gonna move, because if revenues went up im sure the cap would of went up also right? So why is the reports now saying that the NHLPA brought a concept for a floating cap tied to revenues? Is this still the same type of linkage or part linkage somehow? I don't understand why the media is saying this is a new type of concept, since the NHL has been wanting the exact same thing and offered it all along, a floating cap with linkage.

Even though i'm no McKenzie i'll add my 2 cents. Just my guess on that subject is the NHL/NHLPA have agreed on what expected revenues will be and have set their percentage off of that. Now if revenues rise to a certain number the percentage would rise all. For example lets say they are 54% of 2 billion dollars. Now if revenue rise to 2.5 billion the players percentage would raise to 56% or something like that.

Of course i could be wrong but thats what it means to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->