Meeting Day Thread 6/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Bennysflyers16 said:
Thanks for the reminder, When old Claude scored that goal I was sitting in my chair motionless, In Philly we always seem to let that 1 soft one in, Brutal !
Try being a Sens fan.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
What still pisses me off on that goal is that Ottawa should have been on a PP. NJ horribly slew footed Hossa just has he shot on a GLORIOUS chance 1 minute earlier in the game (of course, 5 mintues left in the third so their was no call, despite it being a blatent penalty which prevented a shot at a wide open net). Let the players decide the game my arse.

carey3037

Mar 11, 2004
NJ
Today's Leafs Lunch Recap:

Watters reported many major terms of the new CBA had been settled:
--Watters reported 24M floor, 37.5M ceiling (Russ Conway later said the range was 24-25 and 36.8-38.6, so take your pick); however, nothing was mentioned of a luxury tax (which Dennis Beyak specifically mentioned in yesterday's "imminent deal" report) or a set linked revenue %.
--500k rookie cap (Watters said that "rookies thrown under the bus")
--Watters said QO's "mirror Dec 9 PA proposal" (Watters said 100% for 1M+, 110% for everything under 1M)

However, some things still unsettled, mentioning:
1)Training camp expenses
2)Per diem rates

Watters also reported Goodenow has been "campaigning hard with his hardline brethren" (mentioned Irbe and Damphousse by name) for the last 48 hours to stop the deal. Called it "one last attempt to garner support."
He also said with regard to Helene Elliott's article today, the 24% rollback wipeout or honoring last year's contracts would never be agreed to by ownership (although it sounded more like personal conjecture/opinion than coming from an actual "source").

The other big news was Watters' report of a possible Dispersal Draft that is still not finalized but would be part of the new CBA, which would be used to cut substantial payroll for teams previously "warned by Bettman" to cut their player costs (according to Watters, as soon as the CBA is done, all teams need to be within the cap limits without exception).
--Alternative to grandfathering contracts, which would not happen according to Watters (again, sounded more like personal opinion than "source" info).
--Said at least 6 teams were included (named NYR, DET, COL, TOR, and PHI).
--There would be a 5 or 6 player protected list for the above teams, the rest of the rosters would be fair game for a dispersal draft to the rest of the league.
--Watters put forth two scenarios:
1)the team losing the player would pay up to $4M of the dispersed player's salary, and the claiming team would pay the rest (used the example of a 6.5M salary...TOR would pay 4M, the claiming team would pay 2.5);
OR, 2)the team losing the player would just buy out the player's existing contract.
--However, interviewing Russ Conway just now, Conway reversed one of the scenarios, saying that he heard the claiming team would be the team paying the 4M higher total, and the team losing the player would pay the lower remaining amount...so you have two guys saying two different things....
--No compensation WHATSOEVER for the team losing the player.
--Nothing mentioned about a dispersal draft order, or how multiple claims would be handled.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That report seems to be all sorts of crap. No way the rookie deals get butchered like that when the league itself has been proposing nearly double that. Same with the dispersal draft, something like that doesn't just pop up out of the blue when there has been absolutely no mention of it for months, and even then it has never before been brought up by any of the players involved (that I can remember).

I'm not buying it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
carey3037 said:

--Watters reported 24M floor, 37.5M ceiling (Russ Conway later said the range was 24-25 and 36.8-38.6, so take your pick); however, nothing was mentioned of a luxury tax (which Dennis Beyak specifically mentioned in yesterday's "imminent deal" report) or a set linked revenue %.
--Watters said QO's "mirror Dec 9 PA proposal" (Watters said 100% for 1M+, 110% for everything under 1M)

1)Training camp expenses
2)Per diem rates

Watters also reported Goodenow has been "campaigning hard with his hardline brethren" (mentioned Irbe and Damphousse by name) for the last 48 hours to stop the deal. Called it "one last attempt to garner support."
He also said with regard to Helene Elliott's article today, the 24% rollback wipeout or honoring last year's contracts would never be agreed to by ownership (although it sounded more like personal conjecture/opinion than coming from an actual "source").

The other big news was Watters' report of a possible Dispersal Draft that is still not finalized but would be part of the new CBA, which would be used to cut substantial payroll for teams previously "warned by Bettman" to cut their player costs (according to Watters, as soon as the CBA is done, all teams need to be within the cap limits without exception).
--Alternative to grandfathering contracts, which would not happen according to Watters (again, sounded more like personal opinion than "source" info).
--There would be a 5 or 6 player protected list for the above teams, the rest of the rosters would be fair game for a dispersal draft to the rest of the league.
1)the team losing the player would pay up to $4M of the dispersed player's salary, and the claiming team would pay the rest (used the example of a 6.5M salary...TOR would pay 4M, the claiming team would pay 2.5);
OR, 2)the team losing the player would just buy out the player's existing contract.
--However, interviewing Russ Conway just now, Conway reversed one of the scenarios, saying that he heard the claiming team would be the team paying the 4M higher total, and the team losing the player would pay the lower remaining amount...so you have two guys saying two different things....
--Nothing mentioned about a dispersal draft order, or how multiple claims would be handled.

I also heard the first hour.The Rangers are below the cap limit.The Rangers have six players signed for 2005-06 at just under $22 million.However,if any team wants Jaromir Jagr,Bobby Holik or Darius Kasparaitis in the dispersal draft,they are all yours

Watters did say that if a team was not able to shed salary to get below the cap,then they would need to buyout players to get under the limit

Crosby's deal with Nike requires him to play in the NHL

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
wouldnt this dispersal draft concept anger the owners and fans in the markets where the public actually care about hockey..

i know the clubs were "warned", but to alienate your best customers like that seems kind of silly

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Question, would a dispersal draft operate in any way like the waiver draft where teams get to make players immune or would it just be "Oh the Flyers are over the cap... hmmm lets see... I'll take Gagne, Pitkanen, and Handzus to help out." Because I doubt too many teams would be willing to take Leclair or Amonte off their hands given their contracts, so really how would it help in any way?

88Headdown

Jun 1, 2005
I think it's comical that Goodenow is trying to derail anything that is considered "progress." I still fully expect a press release from both sides that reads "We had good dialogue but nothing is settled.." any day now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Deebo said:
wouldnt this dispersal draft concept anger the owners and fans in the markets where the public actually care about hockey..

i know the clubs were "warned", but to alienate your best customers like that seems kind of silly

thats what I was thinking....the franchises that you'd think lost the most by this whole mess and can be considered the flagships of the league get pooched!

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
norrisnick said:
Question, would a dispersal draft operate in any way like the waiver draft where teams get to make players immune?
This is the most logical approach. It would be grossly unfair to the overcap teams if they could not determine which assets they can maintain and who they should let go.

But what if no one wanted to pick up, for example, Jagr? (Unlikely, but what if?)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
norrisnick said:
Question, would a dispersal draft operate in any way like the waiver draft where teams get to make players immune or would it just be "Oh the Flyers are over the cap... hmmm lets see... I'll take Gagne, Pitkanen, and Handzus to help out." Because I doubt too many teams would be willing to take Leclair or Amonte off their hands given their contracts, so really how would it help in any way?

Watters said the teams would protect 5-6 players and Conway said they would protect 3-5 players.NHL players.If those players and salary were not lost,those teams have to buy out some of their players

Gus Fring

May 16, 2004
Ottawa
if you were the nhl and you were trying to withhold info from the media cause you were close to a deal and didnt want a feb all over again,honestly would you tell bob "THE HOCKEY INSIDER" mckenzie a deal is done?

no offense to bob cause i find him to be the most reliable source there is

p.s hurry up and get a deal done the sens need hasek

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Best way to deal with cap..

Alow teams to put players into the dispr. draft(of the teams chosing)..the team must put enough payroll into the draft to get under cap...if the player is picked, the team who picks up the player pays 100%..... If the player is not drafted/picked the NHL club will by out his contract making him an UFA...If said player does not wish to go to a team he is drafted by and qualifies as an UFA, he can void his contract and become an UFA...

Its simple....effective...and does not punish any team(as if a team could afford to spend the money.. they can afford to buy out the contract....Players get something out of it(a bit of control for senior members)....and teams with cap room gain a chance to even out the talent level..

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
carey3037 said:

Could it be that there is an initial level set for a year or two until revenues stabilize and begin to grow again and that is where the linkage starts...in year 3 on? Seems a compromise

Those levels seem about right. I don't see the owners going this far, generating the internal dissent they wanted to in the PA and then deciding to scrap linkage and the cap and instead go with a luxury tax deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see that hybrid with the $25 mil as the minimum payroll and $37 or so as the absolute hard cap with tax rates in between.

Rookies thrown under the bus? I don't think anyone is surprised by that at all. They always get thrown under the bus.

1)Training camp expenses
2)Per diem rates

Can't imagine these being much of an issue that it would flush a deal just something needed to be in the new CBA.

I think all the rumblings from the media sources point to Goodenow having lost control and is trying to regain it (he regained it in February...can he do it again?) Strachan has another scare tactic anti-Bettman piece today.

I think it was inevitable for this to happen whether 03/04 contracts are honoured or not.

Not prepared to comment on this until I actually look to see how it affects my team and it's competitots ;)

Whatever the formula a dispersal draft coupled with an entry draft weekend and rule change excitement would, IMO, be a fantastic way to kick off the signing of a new CBA.

Funny how this seems completely different than yesterday's rumour......and though a more reliable person it is probably full crap and/or half truths.

Ah the media.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
well this is an interesting turn of events concerning the dispersal draft.

IF true, then two things come to mind.

First, The vast majority of owners are pointing the finger at those 6 clubs and apperantly these same clubs have been warned in the past.
Of course it is a historical fact that these 6 clubs fueled the bidding war to start with. Now having refused to address all issues after being warned, it's payback time for the vast majority of owners.

Secondly, this could be exactly what the 6 offending owners want.
They want to be able to tell their fans that they are being forced to dump some big players in order to save hockey. "look at the huge sacrifice my team is making in order to resolve the impass, so don't blame us if the team is no longer a top team, blame the NEW CBA"

Please remember I said IF TRUE !!!

PS: If true, I see a lot of big names forced to move their families to new cities for a year or two and then being forced to play for a lot less going forward after that. They should thank Goodenow and his complete misread of the owners this time.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
hossa-the-future said:
if you were the nhl and you were trying to withhold info from the media cause you were close to a deal and didnt want a feb all over again,honestly would you tell bob "THE HOCKEY INSIDER" mckenzie a deal is done?

no offense to bob cause i find him to be the most reliable source there is

p.s hurry up and get a deal done the sens need hasek
Define "the NHL"
He has contacts that know what are going on, people on the inside and in the "NHL". People will tell him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad