Medvescak 16/17: FINAL SALE NOW EVERYTHING MUST GO ENDS AT MIDNIGHT

mitch mdv zg

Sep 6, 2013
It's official, Medveščak leavs KHL and rejoins EBEL.

238 matches in KHL, 79 wins, 20 OT wins, 30 OT losses, 109 losses. One playoff participation.

mitch mdv zg

Sep 6, 2013
It would, but I think it won't happen. At least not in first EBEL years. We don't have infrastructure nor backing from the city/state. It's the way it is, we'll still be North American team in Europe with few Croatian players. It would be problem if lot of Croatian players would need to play at start, that would mean we are broke and that we would be rock bottom.

The biggest shame is that entering EBEL then later KHL (what was incredible feat, like Moon landing) didn't have affect on hockey at all, we still have three ice rinks in Croatia, there are no investments in this sport. National hockey federation didn't do anything related to that.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Because football is king. Now and forever. And the team was probably viewed as Zagreb's team, not Croatia's.

It's nit just football, there's half a dozen team sports that are far more popular, maybe not in terms of viewership, but in active participation. Handball, basketball, football and waterpolo are so far ahead it's not even funny. We don't have the infrastructure and it would cost quite a bit to build it, hockey is expensive from a parent standpoint and most don't understand it, those are just the most obvious reasons it didn't get more popular. I'm not sure how anyone could've thought it would either.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I am kinda sad it's over because i had the opportunity to see iconic Russian clubs playing 1,5 hours away from my home and i am very grateful for that. But yeah, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Was there when Medvescak beat CSKA, Dynamo Moscow, SKA and on many other occasions, great experience and great fans.

Good luck in the future.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Because is king. Now and forever. And the team was probably viewed as Zagreb's team, not Croatia's.

It is team from Zagreb so of course it was viewed that way, but I can guarantee you from first hand that it had lot of popularity across whole country. Especially in northern and eastern parts, not so much at south, because south is considered to be "rival" to the north (Hajduk - Dinamo)

Ivan 13 - hockey schools are full of kids since EBEL came to the town in 2009, the problem is, lack of ice time, and much bigger one is incompetent youth coaches. Just look at the results of Croatian selection playing in U16 slovenian league.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It is team from Zagreb so of course it was viewed that way, but I can guarantee you from first hand that it had lot of popularity across whole country. Especially in northern and eastern parts, not so much at south, because south is considered to be "rival" to the north (Hajduk - Dinamo)

Ivan 13 - hockey schools are full of kids since EBEL came to the town in 2009, the problem is, lack of ice time, and much bigger one is incompetent youth coaches. Just look at the results of Croatian selection playing in U16 slovenian league.

Which is what I'm talking about. I had a couple of chats with so-called coaches, and the level of their lack of knowledge about even the basics is disheartening. A boom happened and the participation went a bit up, but whats' the point when there's 50 kids playing at the same time on one ice surface? There's no hope until we get more rinks, and quite frankly I can't see that happening ever. Hockey is a niche sport that just doesn't have enough appeal here, even among guys who regularly went to games, the majority doesn't know half the rules, and half the crowd was people who went there were there just because that's a place you want to be seen at.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
and quite frankly I can't see that happening ever. .

At least Sisak will get new rink. Old Zibel will become indoor rink with 1,200 seats. They deserve it, after all they are our oldest club, founded in 1931.:)

LEDENA-DVORANA-01-770x375.jpg

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Well if you can't pay for it get someone else to. If the Croatian Fed can make itself investable, hockey academies are really springing up in Europe. Offer cheap land near a population center, tax breaks and amenities and try to attract an academy to the region.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad