MedveÅ¡čak Zagreb 2015/2016

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Anyone seen Loppa?
Medvescak pulled 2 youngsters, forwards, so one played 3 mins, and bounced off random russians, while other put on goalie gear.
Medvescak didn't have a junior goalie on two way contract. One goalie sold, other re-injured and there you go...
Are you implying Loppa is gone from the forum because he was preparing to play goalie? :)

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Yes. That actually makes sense... :D :D

*loppa please return I hope I'll be wrong next season!

Still, no blow out points wise, few attractive scalps and no rock bottom really. Hopefully the boys have been more or less paid, it won't be easy to ice similar roster next year, if there will be next year.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Any source I can follow the latest news about the club? Can be in Croatian, in fact it would be better than English. I am really wondering how Medvescak will spend this spring and summer and if they will be back in business next season. Sooner or later, some important news or clues should emerge and I do not want to miss them.

By the way, I am not asking for the official website. More like a fan portal or a news site prioritizing Medvescak. In the end, the official website will never write things like, "Hey, we still have 3M Euros to pay and we are probably screwed up. Maybe we will not be in KHL next year!" unless seka kulenova or bishonen91 hacks their accounts.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Bishonen and his buddies on khl.hr follow hockey in Croatia pretty good, if anyone can pull some more info other than usual club PR it's them...anyway there will be few more articles in weekend edition of daily newspapers where Gojanovic will summarize this season and that is all about hockey you will be able to find until late July

mitch mdv zg

Sep 6, 2013
http://khl.hr/hoce-li-se-ebel-siriti-i-dalje/

Apparently, EBEL (Austrian league) is looking to expand. Six teams expressed their wish to join (one from both Austria and Slovenia, two from both Italy and Hungary).

MedveÅ¡čak is considered to join if their KHL journey comes to an end. They have, per this text, 2-3 weeks time to express their opinion on joining EBEL.

:popcorn:

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
You have few interesting forwards prospects, Jankovic and Milicic, and they are of decent size too. Certainly better than ours, we look better in the D department.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
You have few interesting forwards prospects, Jankovic and Milicic, and they are of decent size too. Certainly better than ours, we look better in the D department.
The royal "ours" again...slovakia, slovenia, Austria or all in one...?

Medvescak would make a great addition to the EBEL. They're already in the EBYSL and a pretty solid team. The EBEL is becoming less and less the Austrian league, which has it's ups and downs but hopefully they add kapfenberg.

kulenova seka

Bad players both of them. They maybe could play INL (2nd Austrian league). One is lanky and too thin for serious hockey and another is lazy. Bad skaters both of them. I am sure they are destined to be superstars... in croatian league.

kulenova seka

The royal "ours" again...slovakia, slovenia, Austria or all in one...?

Medvescak would make a great addition to the EBEL. They're already in the EBYSL and a pretty solid team. The EBEL is becoming less and less the Austrian league, which has it's ups and downs but hopefully they add kapfenberg.

He probably ment slovenia, but I responded about "prospects" in my previous thread. Yes, I would like us to be back in EBEL. I remember few years back when some swedish team were rumored to join KHL fans were against idea because they didn't want to lose their rival games, but when you mention this on croatian hockey forums in the context of Medvescak's return to EBEL they jump on you. Medvescak natural territory is EBEL and their historic rivals are there (Olimpija, Jesenice, Alba) and some new ones with Austrian clubs (KAC), although Medvescak played more than 100 friendly games with Austrian clubs before joining EBEL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Bad players both of them. They maybe could play INL (2nd Austrian league). One is lanky and too thin for serious hockey and another is lazy. Bad skaters both of them. I am sure they are destined to be superstars... in croatian league.

Ah ok, i was just browsing through u20 EBEL statistics and noticed these two. Slovenia indeed, we used to have decent prospects but it went downhill. For instance check stats of Jure Sotlar and Jaka Zdesar in u20, they were basically tearing league apart, Jure should get stronger, Jaka ended his career prior to 15/16 season, no future. I am getting off topic here. Any other Croatian prospects who are worth mentioning and are connected to Medvescak?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
If we asked 100 Medvescak fans if they wanted the team to join EBEL, what would be the approximate outcome at the moment? As I previously stated many times, I really love this team and want to see it in KHL. However, it seems that not even their fans are much interested in KHL and they want to see the team in a more competitive environment for them. KHL plans don't seem to be working; another season missing play-off, debts to pay...

EBEL is a "cute" league but is it viable financially? Yes, Medvescak have debts to pay but which club doesn't - even football powerhouses have tremendous amounts of debts that come and go continuously. Could Medvescak attract fans in EBEL as much as they did in KHL? Could they generate more profit in general?

By the way, these are not rhetorical questions. I ask because I do not know. I am not saying that KHL is much better for Medvescak but just wondering if leaving KHL for EBEL would be the right thing to do at the moment.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Ah ok, i was just browsing through u20 EBEL statistics and noticed these two. Slovenia indeed, we used to have decent prospects but it went downhill. For instance check stats of Jure Sotlar and Jaka Zdesar in u20, they were basically tearing league apart, Jure should get stronger, Jaka ended his career prior to 15/16 season, no future. I am getting off topic here. Any other Croatian prospects who are worth mentioning and are connected to Medvescak?
Hard to compare Croatia to Slovenia with the latter being pretty far ahead in player development. EBYSL stats mean very little after a player turns 19. Slovenia's notables are Nik Simsic, and Luka Zorko. The hope for Medvescak joining the KHL is obviously that it would help overall development like Barys, Minsk, or Riga but geographically it's a tough move and Zagreb is basically a mercenary team, I think 1 Croatian player played consistently throughout the whole season. Moving to the EBEL they'd be able to make the playoffs quickly and contend. Also the salaries would have to be lower :sarcasm:

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Hard to compare Croatia to Slovenia with the latter being pretty far ahead in player development. EBYSL stats mean very little after a player turns 19. Slovenia's notables are Nik Simsic, and Luka Zorko. The hope for Medvescak joining the KHL is obviously that it would help overall development like Barys, Minsk, or Riga but geographically it's a tough move and Zagreb is basically a mercenary team, I think 1 Croatian player played consistently throughout the whole season. Moving to the EBEL they'd be able to make the playoffs quickly and contend. Also the salaries would have to be lower :sarcasm:

Well aware of that, not talking about such comparison here. Of course they tell very little but i am not talking about that either, i was comparing our prospects to previous years, prospects who are/were playing in this league. Those 2 guys are indeed interesting.

kulenova seka

Jan Smolec is pretty good, the best prospect on that team by far is Tomo Tristenjak.

Did you watch him ? I did few games on U20 WJC D2A, and from what I saw he sucked, no points, barely can skate.

@Dueling Banjos - only Ivan Puzic (Vitkovice/Å umprek) may taste KHL.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Did you watch him ? I did few games on U20 WJC D2A, and from what I saw he sucked, no points, barely can skate.

He's only 16 so 7 points in 24 games is actually decent if not good pace. I saw 2 Croatia games (not in person) at the WJC D2A but I wasn't doing talent ID. What he really passes is the eye test, 6'2.5", 7 points at the U20 level but that's deceiving because 21 and 20 year olds frequent the EBYSL, he's also got an assist in the WJC D2A. Obviously the eye test isn't everything but failing an eye test usually disqualifies you almost immediately for the CHL import draft, USHL entry draft, or invitations to SuperElit camps. Smolec I watched film against another EBYSL team and he stood out. He's past the time where CHL Import, USHL entry or the SuperElit leagues are probable but he probably has a future with Mevescak or could migrate his way to the EBEL, France, and be a contributor.

kulenova seka

He's only 16 so 7 points in 24 games is actually decent if not good pace. I saw 2 Croatia games (not in person) at the WJC D2A but I wasn't doing talent ID. What he really passes is the eye test, 6'2.5", 7 points at the U20 level but that's deceiving because 21 and 20 year olds frequent the EBYSL, he's also got an assist in the WJC D2A. Obviously the eye test isn't everything but failing an eye test usually disqualifies you almost immediately for the CHL import draft, USHL entry draft, or invitations to SuperElit camps. Smolec I watched film against another EBYSL team and he stood out. He's past the time where CHL Import, USHL entry or the SuperElit leagues are probable but he probably has a future with Mevescak or could migrate his way to the EBEL, France, and be a contributor.

Hopefully you are right about the youngest Trstenjak, but when I look at Mario Huber's stats at age of 16 in Austrian U20 league, I can't help myself thinking that Trstenjak will stuck in croatian beer league.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Hopefully you are right about the youngest Trstenjak, but when I look at Mario Huber's stats at age of 16 in Austrian U20 league, I can't help myself thinking that Trstenjak will stuck in croatian beer league.
Haha, Mario Huber makes me feel that way about a lot of Austrian prospects too. There's a reason he's scoring at a very solid clip in the QMJHL and considered for the NHL draft this year. Trstenjak has work to do for sure but size can do a lot for you, Tamas Laday (6'7" Hungarian) got CHL drafted and played in the CHL for one and a half years despite having only played in 2 EBYSL games and scored 0 points in his 16 year old season. If Medvescak makes the move back to the EBEL though I hope they make the team no more than half legios because I feel the team this year that Medvescak fielded I think only 1 natural born Croatian played regularly is almost insulting to the Croatian fans and faithful.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

Obviously i haven't seen him play but he kinda lacks size. He could work well as a puck moving-offensive D but his numbers recently don't scream that but these are numbers, not telling the whole story sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad