Medicine Hat Tiger's NHL draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
After 7 games I thought I would quickly update how the drafted players on the Tiger's are doing (in no particular order):

1) Stefan Meyer (Florida Panthers) - Center - 5G, 4A, 9Pts in 7 games

Meyer is on of our top two centers (see MacArthur) and gets equal powerplay and penalty kill time. Strong, two way forward who sometimes takes a dumb penalty. Already 6'2 and 202lbs the kid is strong but needs to work on skating quickness. Chance of making it to NHL: 70%

2) Clarke MacArthur (Buffalo Sabres) - Center - 4G, 10A, 14Pts in 7 games.

MacArthur is the other of our top two centers and is a definite set-up man (ala Cliff Ronning. He isn't overly huge, 6'0 and needs to add some weight and upper body muscle, but he has soft, soft hands. He doesn't miss often with his passes.
Chance of making it to NHL: 75%

3) Roman Psurny (New York Rangers) - Left Wing - 1G, 4A, 5Pts in 7 games.

I like Psurny. He causes a lot of excitement on the ice but he just is always able to finish the play. It could be because he is still adjusting to the WHL style of play or it could be he is thinking to much. He drips with skill but like the man said, having all the tools but no tool box isn't much help. He's 6'1 but only 175lbs soaking wet so this kid is going to have to work really, really hard at getting stronger...he's fast...but he is easily bumped off the puck.
Chance of making it to the NHL: 50%

4) Cody Blanshan (New York Islanders) - Defence - 0G, 2A, 2Pts in 7 games.

Cody is your prototypical big, stay at home, rough and tumble defenceman that the WHL is known to produce. He's 6'1 and 214 lbs (could share some weight with Psurny) and is one of our two overagers. With the Tiger's carrying 9 d-men right now it is quite possible that Blanshan will be moved if Steve Regier gets returned to junior by the Islander's farm team or if the Tiger's want another import player.
Chance of making it to the NHL: 30%

5) Cam Barker (Chicago Blackhawks) - Defence - 1G, 5A, 6Pts in 6 games.

Barker is obviously the real deal BUT so far this season he has looked really average. Getting a point a game is dynamic but Barker is capable of so much more. He lost a game and a half due to penalties and suspension and with the Tiger's carrying 9 d-men he is not quite getting all the ice time he usually does but this will change soon.
Chance of making it to the NHL: 98%

6) Kevin Nastiuk (Carolina Hurricanes) - Goalie - 5W, 1L, 2SO, 1.34 GAA in 6 games.

Kevin is the number one reason why the Tigers or 6-1 so far this season. He is a stand-up goalie, quick on his feet and does not flop around on the ice. His positioning is accurate and he doesn't take many chances out side of his crease. The kid can't handle the puck to save his life though. But what a glove hand!!!
Chance of making it to the NHL: 80%

Prucha73

Thanks

How is Psurny without the puck? Is he good defensively? Is he playing on 2nd line?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I felt the same way about Barker this year. He said he wants to concentrate more of being shut down in his own end and throw more body checks at as well, so maybe he's trying to balance the two.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Prucha73 said:
Thanks

How is Psurny without the puck? Is he good defensively? Is he playing on 2nd line?

Without the puck Psurny isn't too bad but like most European's he is thinking offence first, defence last. He plays on all three lines sometimes depending on the situation but has yet to play on a penalty kill (that I can recall). He is on the 2nd powerplay unit mostly.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Id say the chances of Barker making the NHL are more like 99.9999%

Laugh. His chances of making the NHL are very, very high...that's a given...but like my mamma used to say, "There aren't any 'givens' in life.". Thus the 98% chance. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->