Medical examinations Significant findings during nhl scouting combine

Moseph

Jan 22, 2007
Sorry I'm just not sure if I read this correctly. The best guys on the bench press were able to perform 12-13 reps of 150lbs on the bench press? That just seems pretty small.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sorry I'm just not sure if I read this correctly. The best guys on the bench press were able to perform 12-13 reps of 150lbs on the bench press? That just seems pretty small.

consecutive reps IE all in one set.

Voracek's numbers are actually a good thing. His game is so good now and hes not even as lean as he can be. Imagine him packing on even more lean muscle. Freight train indeed. Most of these numbers are crap and mean nothing. These kids haven't had enough spare time or guidance to really train properly and dedicate themselves. A few might stand out from the rest because they were more committed but more or less nobody is going to impress.

I'd be wary of Esposito though with 2 concussions. Especially given how soft he is.

67dreamin

Apr 5, 2007
They're inconsistant heart beats.

Heart murmurs are not inconsistent beats.

Heart murmurs are extra sounds heard when listening to the heart. They indicate blood flow. Between beats there should be no sounds. Murmurs mean that blood is flowing inappropriately, whether that is backwards or through the heart. Depends on when in the heart cycle and where heard as to significance.

Inconsistent beats are arrhythmias or ectopics.

that is your cardiology lesson for the day.

Kekkonen

May 14, 2007
Well, when I posted that only the bench press results were up, so it was kind of a short report. And it could have been a bit higher, 150-180lbs, but either way it was the standard mark for the club, and Mario, while his legs were huge, couldn't do it. This is from his biography book, which I read about 8-10 years ago. And it's certainly possible, personally I'm the same way.

I still find it amazing. I was already in my 30s when I started hitting the gym. I went three times a week, before or after work, with a program I cooked up by myself after reading some tips on the net, and I hit 150 lbs on the bench very quickly, and was pressing over 200 lbs within a year. And while I'm almost as big as Mario (my body weight back then was around 220), I'm not physically talented at all and I didn't pay any special attention to my rest schedules, eating habits or anything like that.

But come to think of it, you probably don't have all that much use for strong pecs (or the bench press motion) in hockey. And even if I could hold my own against Mario in the bench press, he can probably leg press my house.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
I still find it amazing. I was already in my 30s when I started hitting the gym. I went three times a week, before or after work, with a program I cooked up by myself after reading some tips on the net, and I hit 150 lbs on the bench very quickly, and was pressing over 200 lbs within a year. And while I'm almost as big as Mario (my body weight back then was around 220), I'm not physically talented at all and I didn't pay any special attention to my rest schedules, eating habits or anything like that.

But come to think of it, you probably don't have all that much use for strong pecs (or the bench press motion) in hockey. And even if I could hold my own against Mario in the bench press, he can probably leg press my house.

i wouldnt think so- he barely touched weights at all. his pre season diet tips equal "no fries with my burgers."

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Too bad... Fat and muscle are completly unrelated tissues and we can't turn them into each other...

Not necessarily. What is meant by the phrase turn fat into muscle is that when you build muscle your muscles burn more calories than fat does hense in the process of building muscle, you burn fat. Pretty simple actually.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
The bench press is extremely overated. Guys with long arms are at a huge disadvantage when compared with guys with short arms. The distance the weight has to move along with sorter verses longer muscle plays heavily into it. When I was 195 lbs at 6'1, I could only bench 250, a buddy of mine who was 5'6 benched 300.Was he stronger than me? No. We would wrestle and I would toss him like a rag doll. I could leg press 810 10 times, he couldn't come close, but, boy was he faster than me. I think they need to and probably do look at a multitude of stregths to determine a players strength. That said, any player who can't do 5-10 reps at 150 needs to build his stregth.

Blues077

Jun 7, 2006
That body fat percentage could hurt Voracek. If he has that much fat he can't be that fit.

You can reduce your body fat but you can't get more talent. Some team can go ahead and draft the fit Sutter, because that just means his upside is even less. Sutter is in great shape and still no better than a 3rd liner, IMO. Imagine the upside of Voracek will be when the team that drafts him, really gets him shape. I would love to see Voracek drop. To 9th......:)

Ott_Chef*

I'm not about to argue about heart murmurs in a hockey thread, especially as you are correct that many cases are non-harmful, however they can and mostly do develop later on in life so it's possible that these murmurs just developed... it's a moot point however, because these would be highly publicized issues if they were harmful in these players' cases. I'll add that there are nearly as many cases of murmurs that are harmful compared to the non-harmful. Like I said in my previous post, it was just for clarification, especially since I believe there were 2 posts which indicated different things about murmurs.

To add my little comment about murmurs:

Heart murmurs can also stop.. as was my case. I saw a cardiologist one year, and i had one, then 2 years later it was gone. It was also the case for my niece when she was born.

I'm guessing that doctors just make sure everything is ok when they spot one, but it's not something to get overly alarmed at (but not just dismiss altogether).

i really really don't think it will affect the players' rankings :)

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
You can reduce your body fat but you can't get more talent. Some team can go ahead and draft the fit Sutter, because that just means his upside is even less. Sutter is in great shape and still no better than a 3rd liner, IMO. Imagine the upside of Voracek will be when the team that drafts him, really gets him shape. I would love to see Voracek drop. To 9th......:)

Sutter is fit BUT he still weights only 170 lbs (he is 6'3" tall). There is a difference between being fit and being strong. Do you think that Jordan Staal would have played in the NHL this season if he'd weight 40 pounds less?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Yeah, I just started hitting the gym recently at 26. I'm from a logger/miner family so everyone in my families strong, but when I was younger I always did sports that worked the legs. Soccer, Tae-kwon-do, skiing, etc. Now when I started going to the gym I was leg presssing almost 10 times more than I bench press.

Though someone else mentioned arm length, so it doesn't help that my arms are an inch longer than normal for my size.

Killiecrankie*

Actually Mario didnt start hitting the gym until he was around 30. Which is one of the reasons he was injuried so often. Ill bet Mario still cant bent 200 haha. Ya his legs are huge though. Hes graduated from burgers and fries to steaks and wine.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
consecutive reps IE all in one set.

Voracek's numbers are actually a good thing. His game is so good now and hes not even as lean as he can be. Imagine him packing on even more lean muscle. Freight train indeed. Most of these numbers are crap and mean nothing. These kids haven't had enough spare time or guidance to really train properly and dedicate themselves. A few might stand out from the rest because they were more committed but more or less nobody is going to impress.

I'd be wary of Esposito though with 2 concussions. Especially given how soft he is.

Agree. Voracek and any other kid can easily improve their fitness levels. Their NHL team will make sure of that.

But the medical issues could be a concern and will probably affect their draft status more than their fitness results. Sort of like what happened to Kostitsyn and him falling a bit because of his health status.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Suprising to see the so called unfit Mark Owuya on top of allot of cathegorys, extremely suprising actually.

What scout called him one of the most unfit prospects/goalies he had ever seen? ;)

Starts with an K.... w...

Kekkonen

May 14, 2007
Though someone else mentioned arm length, so it doesn't help that my arms are an inch longer than normal for my size.

Yup, it's a huge disadvantage... if you look at the guys who bench press a ton, they're all barrel-chested types with short arms. That's everything I'm not, so all the more reason why Mario should whup my bottom in bench press. Except that, well, I guess when you bring so much everything else to the table, you don't have to... and boy is that unfair. :rant:

Kekkonen

May 14, 2007

That's what I thuoght. Unless it's some sort of special bench press -- like lifting with your legs up or something.

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
That's what I thuoght. Unless it's some sort of special bench press -- like lifting with your legs up or something.

It's not any type of special bench press but I think the reason the numbers are so low is because they are really strict with the timing. You have to keep to a certain metronome cadence and once the player falls off the test is stopped.

There is a Youtube video in a nother thread that shows Gagner and Legien doing the tests. On the bench Legien does about 10 reps and looks like he could still put up quite a few more but they stop him. I am sure that if they let the kids grind out as many reps as they could the numbers would be far higher.

Kekkonen

May 14, 2007
It's not any type of special bench press but I think the reason the numbers are so low is because they are really strict with the timing. You have to keep to a certain metronome cadence and once the player falls off the test is stopped.

OK, now it starts making a whole lot more sense. Not to mention the fact that they're measuring something that is bound to be much more useful for a hockey player than the ability to eke up huge amounts of iron.

I thought there had to be a catch, because there are bound to be some very strong young men doing their stuff in the combine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad