Medical examinations Significant findings during nhl scouting combine

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
DENIS REUL =ripped? --"Baldy" will be one of the best D-men to come out of this draft --he has the size + the "it" factor--mark my words...the fact Bob McKenzie only gives him "honourable mention" and not making TSN's Top60 willbe to McKenzie's everlasting shame--just wait and see.. I realy like this guy --there is big upside here...sure there is the scouting report that he needs to improve his backwards skating--but he is so mobile going forward for a guy that big,I'm shocked at how fst he can motor and recover even if someone gets by him ..that he is also a big hitter should put him in the Petrecki range just for that,but I think he'll pan out far better than Pterecki --yet the idiot Mckenzie doesn't get it. Central Scouting has him as the 3rd best d-man among the euros..He was on my radar just for that--then when I sawhim on the video clip over on nhl.com--you can just tell he's going to be a good one...he has a rare "presence" to him on the ice--I can tell,he's going to be a guy you want out there 25+ minutes ...just wait and see.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DENIS REUL =ripped? --"Baldy" will be one of the best D-men to come out of this draft --he has the size + the "it" factor--mark my words...the fact Bob McKenzie only gives him "honourable mention" and not making TSN's Top60 willbe to McKenzie's everlasting shame--just wait and see.. I realy like this guy --there is big upside here...sure there is the scouting report that he needs to improve his backwards skating--but he is so mobile going forward for a guy that big,I'm shocked at how fst he can motor and recover even if someone gets by him ..that he is also a big hitter should put him in the Petrecki range just for that,but I think he'll pan out far better than Pterecki --yet the idiot Mckenzie doesn't get it. Central Scouting has him as the 3rd best d-man among the euros..He was on my radar just for that--then when I sawhim on the video clip over on nhl.com--you can just tell he's going to be a good one...he has a rare "presence" to him on the ice--I can tell,he's going to be a guy you want out there 25+ minutes ...just wait and see.

Is this the act you're planning for the local comedy club?

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary

LOL, if only you could mark a thread and have it pop up and remind you 5 years from now for everytime a poster made a post like this... I guess you lost all credability when you called Bob McKenzie an idiot...

Masterplan*

I'd be honoured to recieve 'Honourable Mention' from Bob.

Kekkonen

May 14, 2007
That's nice, but did you know Mario Lemiuex couldn't do even one 150lb rep when he showed up to the Pens training camp?

I find that hard to believe. Mario is a big guy, and 150 lbs isn't that much to bench.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I find that hard to believe. Mario is a big guy, and 150 lbs isn't that much to bench.

Well, when I posted that only the bench press results were up, so it was kind of a short report. And it could have been a bit higher, 150-180lbs, but either way it was the standard mark for the club, and Mario, while his legs were huge, couldn't do it. This is from his biography book, which I read about 8-10 years ago. And it's certainly possible, personally I'm the same way.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Medical issues:
Bill Sweatt severed tendons-right forearm
Patrick White mid-back vertebral compressions

Those seem like pretty severe injuries. Will they affect either player's draft positions? I mean, there are already questions about Sweatt's offensive upside, severed tendons in his forearm aren't going to help that one bit.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR

Yes since skating forward is what seperates defenseman from forwards :sarcasm:

habscout

Mar 6, 2002
Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Visit site
Those are very interesting findings about the player's health history.
The players who underwent surgery or who had concussions may cause their draft stock to drop somewhat, since there are some teams which will be more wary of selecting them. It will likely impact the higher rated players such as Esposito and O'Brien. I doubt that Central Scouting considers these factors in their ranking system, but NHL teams certainly will.

However, some players such as Guillaume Latendresse suffered at least 2 serious concussions in junior hockey and a significant shoulder injury in his draft year, which dropped him from being ranked in the top 5 to being selected in the middle of the 2nd round. As a pro, these injuries do not seem to have affected his play.

Can you tell us your source ?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I completely overlooked that Sweatt's tendon(s) actually did get severed. Wasn't it Woodlief who said that the glass was a few cm away from actually cutting them?

habscout

Mar 6, 2002
Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Visit site
Yes, that forearm injury was self-induced. That was covered in a thread here, about a week ago:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=388445&highlight=Sweatt+punch

It's tough to say if the team that drafts him is getting a player with 'occasional' anger management issues like Steve Downie [if you don't get the reference, ask Akim Aliu about Downie]. Or, is a team going to get an ultra-competitive player, the type that would skate through a wall if his coach asked him.

Part of me likes a guy like Sweatt, who you never have to question about giving his full effort game after game; when you add on his elite level skating, then at worse you have an excellent 3rd line checker/penalty killer [eg. John Madden]. Part of me questions his offensive upside; if he could improve in some areas a little more, then Sweatt could become a good-to-great 2nd line forward.

I completely overlooked that Sweatt's tendon(s) actually did get severed. Wasn't it Woodlief who said that the glass was a few cm away from actually cutting them?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i know those numbers for sutter in the fitness categories are really impressive, but doesnt that indicate there isnt much room for improvement there?

i know teams with strong conditioning coaches dont mind drafting less fit players, so if a player is allready in peak physical condition, how can the team expect them to improve that much?

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
For clarification (not really cleared up from early in the thread) a hear murmur is not just 'a sound that your heart makes.' It's a leak in a valve (varying valve) in the heart, which blood leaks through to another quadrant of the heart. Can become pretty problematic a little bit down the road and nothing to sneeze at... It can cause some respiratory problems (quicker fatigue, quicker muscle fatigue as well from not enough blood getting to all the parts efficiently, etc...) Doubt it will have MUCH effect on draft position though... perhaps a bit.

The Overseer*

For clarification (not really cleared up from early in the thread) a hear murmur is not just 'a sound that your heart makes.' It's a leak in a valve (varying valve) in the heart, which blood leaks through to another quadrant of the heart. Can become pretty problematic a little bit down the road and nothing to sneeze at... It can cause some respiratory problems (quicker fatigue, quicker muscle fatigue as well from not enough blood getting to all the parts efficiently, etc...) Doubt it will have MUCH effect on draft position though... perhaps a bit.

You've overstated the case by quite a bit. It can, actually, be just a sound your heart makes (turbulence in aorta, etc.). Even if the murmur is caused by a leak in a valve, in a vast majority of these cases the leak is so miniscule as to make its effects negligible. It would have to be a significant leak for the problems you outline to occur, and in such cases the effects would have caused problems for the players long before now, seeing as they've been training and performing at an elite level for years already.

Roccoman

Aug 9, 2005
Indiana
Voracek with a fair amount of body fat.

if i recall correctly, Kovalchuk weighed more as a rookie than he does now... (220 now, i recall seeing him listed up to 235 or so)

babyfat will be there on 18 year olds... it would not concern me in the least.

pwallll

Jun 21, 2006
Toronto
So is Backlunds knee fine now? I know he injured it badly this season and i was wondering if its 100% now?

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
You've overstated the case by quite a bit. It can, actually, be just a sound your heart makes (turbulence in aorta, etc.). Even if the murmur is caused by a leak in a valve, in a vast majority of these cases the leak is so miniscule as to make its effects negligible. It would have to be a significant leak for the problems you outline to occur, and in such cases the effects would have caused problems for the players long before now, seeing as they've been training and performing at an elite level for years already.

I'm not about to argue about heart murmurs in a hockey thread, especially as you are correct that many cases are non-harmful, however they can and mostly do develop later on in life so it's possible that these murmurs just developed... it's a moot point however, because these would be highly publicized issues if they were harmful in these players' cases. I'll add that there are nearly as many cases of murmurs that are harmful compared to the non-harmful. Like I said in my previous post, it was just for clarification, especially since I believe there were 2 posts which indicated different things about murmurs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->