Media Suggestions For a Year of Severely Limited Internet

member 51464

I only have one internet provider in my building, and I hate it. I am spending three+ hours a month on chat or on the phone to fix my bill every single time. I am thinking long and hard about just cutting off service entirely and doing without. My cell plan does include internet, so I can do basics on it, or I can run it as a WiFi hotspot if I really need to use my laptop for whatever reason.

However, the main goal will be to limit non-phone internet time to a trip every week or two to the local library.

Where does HF come in? Above-mentioned library is huge and has a great interlibrary loan system set up. Movies, TV series, cds, latest book releases, etc...There are not a lot of things I have tried to check for that they did not have.

Please do hit me with your favorites of everything from literature to music to television shows. I am going to get my money's worth for the taxes I pay towards the local library infrastructure. I figure time spent on classic or great films, TV, or books, is probably time better spent on aimless browsing online. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Hippasus

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Ignoring preferences you're looking for/recommendation friendliness/accessibility/library-friendliness (I'd guess probably not, for the most part, but it'd be a nightmare to try to pick out what would fit), these are my favorite things from different mediums at the moment.

Series:
1. Dekalog (Kieslowski)
2. The Wire (Simon)
3. Ping Pong: The Animation (Yuasa)
4. Monty Python's Flying Circus (Monty Python)
5. Cowboy Bebop (Watanabe)
6. The Simpsons S2-S4 (Groening)
7. Arrested Development (Hurwitz)
8. The Office UK (Gervais/Merchant)
9. Tatami Galaxy (Yuasa)
10. Freaks and Geeks (Feig)

Films:
1. Tokyo Story (Ozu)
2. Dr. Strangelove (Kubrick)
3. Blow Up (Antonioni)
4. My Neighbor Totoro (Miyazaki)
5. In The Mood For Love (Wong)
6. Charulata (Ray)
7. La Dolce Vita (Fellini)
8. Children of Paradise (Carne)
9. Late Spring (Ozu)
10. Floating Weeds (Ozu)

Albums:
1. White Light White Heat (The Velvet Underground)
2. Here Come the Warm Jets (Brian Eno)
3. Lick My Decals Off Baby (Captain Beefheart)
4. Interstellar Space (John Coltrane)
5. Tago Mago (Can)
6. Bootleg 4: Live 1966 (Bob Dylan)
7. The Velvet Underground and Nico (Velvet Underground)
8. Closer (Joy Division)
9. The Beatles 50th Anniversary Mix (The Beatles)
10. Another Green World (Brian Eno)

Videogames:
1. Earthbound
2. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
3. Super Metroid
4. Celeste
5. Inside
6. Super Mario World
7. Super Mario Bros. 3
8. Tetris

Other (don't keep up with literature):
Calvin and Hobbes (Watterson)
Watchmen (Moore)

Last edited:
Reactions: member 51464

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Maybe some shows or movies you havent seen since a lot of tge same shows get brought up

Summer Heights High (australian comedy show)
Happy! (comedy action show starring christopher meloni and a blue imaginary unicorn)
Kenny vs Spenny (te greatest comedy reality show in history)
Schitts Creek (jims dad from american pie and his real life son create a legendary comedy show)

What we do in the shadows (vampire mockumentary )
Cabin in the Woods (the perfect “spoof” or whatever you want to call it on horror movies)
Manchester by the Sea (kinda slow movie but the best performance in any movie ive seen i think)
Hunt for the wilderpeople (same guy who made what we do in the shadows and thor ragnarok. great movie)

also hot fuzz and shaun of the dead

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
my ten favorite authors, I'd recommend literally every book they've collectively written:

1) Bernard Cornwell (British historical fiction)
2) Michael Chrichton (science fiction)
3) Robert Harris (ancient Rome fiction)
4) Jon Krakauer (non-fiction investigative journalism)
5) Steven Pressfield (ancient Greece fiction)
6) Erik Larson (non-fiction history)
7) James Clavell (Japan/China historical fiction)
8) Ken Follett (English historical fiction)
9) China Mieville (science fiction)
10) Gary Jennings (historical fiction)

[editorial note: I like history a lot]

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Your best bet for films in this case is classic films that you can download in 600mb-1.2GB. Generally just go to a site like Criticker or imdb or whatever, find some good classic movies, and search the name of the film, the year, and the word "mkv" and you should get a direct download link. You can use a download manager or whatever.

Obviously you could download a newer film in lower quality but it's gonna look worse, if it's some b/w random movie that hasn't had a Criterion restoration or something from 1947 though then not a big deal if it's in lower SD quality.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Your best bet for films in this case is classic films that you can download in 600mb-1.2GB. Generally just go to a site like Criticker or imdb or whatever, find some good classic movies, and search the name of the film, the year, and the word "mkv" and you should get a direct download link. You can use a download manager or whatever.

Obviously you could download a newer film in lower quality but it's gonna look worse, if it's some b/w random movie that hasn't had a Criterion restoration or something from 1947 though then not a big deal if it's in lower SD quality.
If he's limiting himself from Internet access, I think the last thing that should be suggested is to use his library's Internet to illegally download a bunch of movies online. :laugh:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
If he's limiting himself from Internet access, I think the last thing that should be suggested is to use his library's Internet to illegally download a bunch of movies online. :laugh:

I didn't say to torrent. There are sites like rarefilm that have an mkv in smaller sizes under 1GB that you can download directly from a link. Unless he feels bad about downloading a film from 50 years ago for free.

PilotRedSun

Aug 24, 2018
Film

1. M
2. The Cranes are Flying
3. The Long Goodbye
4. Rear Window
5. Safe

Television

1. Freaks and Geeks
2. The Simpsons season 1-3
3. The Twilight Zone