Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
All of the usual suspects weigh in

FLUTO SHINZAWA | ON HOCKEY
After losing Dougie Hamilton, Bruins shift gears at start of free agency

Neely was blindsided by Hamilton’s intentions. Neely said he didn’t know why Hamilton would want to leave.

“I really didn’t get any indications of anything negative in exit meetings,†Neely said. “So I was surprised. I thought Don did some really good work on comps around the league. He put a lot of time and effort into making fair offers and showing them we were serious about trying to sign him. We didn’t want him to get to July 1.â€

The Bruins submitted offers of four-, five-, and six-year terms to Hamilton last week. All were competitive with the six-year, $34.5 million extension Hamilton signed with the Flames on Tuesday, said Neely. J.P. Barry, Hamilton’s agent, did not return any counteroffers.

In the face of the no-no-no answers, the Bruins quickly found themselves in a jam. The draft was approaching. So was free agency, and with it the threat of losing Hamilton. While he wouldn’t have done it right away, former GM Peter Chiarelli, now in Edmonton, would have signed Hamilton to an offer sheet.

The Bruins could have held their ground. They could have continued to negotiate. One-way conversations in June usually transform into working dialogue in September, when bargaining power shifts to clubs and unsigned players start itching to join their teammates at the rink. The Bruins could have matched any offer sheet.

Fear won out.

HERALD Bruins moves a shock to Brad Marchand

For the remaining Bruins, like Brad Marchand, it has been a bit gut-wrenching. He watched a good friend leave Boston and couldn’t help but wonder if he was next.

“I think that day (Friday) was just a big shock with those guys leaving. I don’t know if guys were prepared for that to be happening,†Marchand said last night before an appearance at McBlarney’s County Tap. “There’s always speculation about guys getting traded, but there was obviously a lot more happening this year. You do get a little bit nervous, but I hope I’m here for a long time and if not, then it’s out of my hands. But it’s always a tough spot to be in when guys are getting traded and the team is changing around you and you’re losing friends and close teammates. It just means that new relationships have to be built and I think we’re all looking forward to that.â€

The trusted left winger of the Bruins’ best overall player, Patrice Bergeron, Marchand should be safe for a while. But, then again, it was hard to imagine the team without Lucic not too long ago.

“Obviously, we all know that with the season last year there were going to be some changes but it’s always tough when you see your friends go to another team,†Marchand said. “Looch has been around for a long time and we’ve built a pretty good relationship so it’s always tough to see a guy like that go. On the other side, we know it’s a business and decisions have to be made at times that aren’t always easy. All we can do is wish him the best and hope he doesn’t run us next year.â€

HERALD Don Sweeney scores big

After a much-criticized weekend at the NHL draft, new Bruins general manager Don Sweeney and his staff needed to make a splash on Day 1 of NHL free agency, and he delivered a tsunami.

“I think we’ve improved our overall group and our team,†said Sweeney last night. “And we’re taking it in a direction, I believe, that everyone is excited about. Hopefully it all falls into place.â€[/QUOTE

FELGER (VIDEO) They are a bettwe team without Reilly Smith

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
So it's nice to see two things:

Dougie wasn't happy but wasn't talking-he wanted out and blind sided the FO who thought they were re-signing him.

The FO didn't trash his character or turn him into Seguin part 2. Looks like they got blind sided which may explain the trade feeling like it should have been more.

It's also pretty clear the team was surprised about Dougie and to some degree Looch being traded.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So it's nice to see two things:

Dougie wasn't happy but wasn't talking-he wanted out and blind sided the FO who thought they were re-signing him.

The FO didn't trash his character or turn him into Seguin part 2. Looks like they got blind sided which may explain the trade feeling like it should have been more.

It's also pretty clear the team was surprised about Dougie and to some degree Looch being traded.

At least we now know the team is not tanking next season. However they are at best a bubble team in the East and the reality is every team except Carolina and New Jersey now thinks they have a shot to make the Top 8. I can see as many as FIVE teams that made the playoffs this year fail to do so next season. (Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Islanders and Washington) and Boston, Florida, Philadelphia, Columbus, Buffalo and Toronto thinking they can.

Next year will be nuts. :popcorn:

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Thanks for the links Fenway. I love when you guys post all the Boston news links on the Bruins. I'm happy with the moves. Actually I am really happy.

Reilly Smith for horse manure. hahaha he's crazy.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
My gut (which is getting bigger by the day) tells me that Hayes will be a decent addition to the B's. I can see him wanting to play every game (at home at least) as strongly and aggressively as possible.
This is what I was looking for and very excited to hear it.

Said Hayes: “To come home to Boston is crazy. It’s a moment that I had always envisioned happening. Happening now, when I’m 25, is just such a huge opportunity for me.†:handclap:

Although every game isn't at home, it's nice when a player is wearing a uniform and playing for a team that he seems to love.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad