News Article: Media call out on dangerous hit on McDavid

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Zero accountability in the NHL for poor officiating. They say they want to eliminate dirty hits but only crack down when it falls in line with what the NHL wants. If someone did that to Kucherov who is in a market that completely rises or dies with the teams performance then I guaranteed that’s a penalty and possibly a hearing.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not sure a bunch of Oilers homer broadcasters/reporters/bloggers qualifies as a "public relations disaster"

But maybe Staples just cherry picked some bad examples.
Ray Ferraro and Ryan Rishaug I guess. Atleast somewhat credible guys.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The NHL is ridiculous when it comes to hits from behind. It’s the most dangerous play in hockey and it’s largely ignored.

It's because it only leads to physical injuries most of the time. There focus is on not getting sued for concussions, they don't give a shit about broken bones.

Reactions: MessierII

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
That has to be 5 and a game. The NHL is such a joke, if McDavid stays there hurt the refs talk to the linesmen and they finally give a call. McDavid battles hard for the puck, he does what every one does. The bottom line is Lindholm crosschecked him into the boards at high speed. That is a serious offence. No excuse to miss that call.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
I'm an outside fan, but since I was watching the Oiler's game last night and saw the hit I thought I'd pop into your forum to see what you guys thought.

I thought it was a nasty hit. McDavid is lucky to have adjusted his direction when he hit the boards and not go in head first. Otherwise that's a nasty head/neck injury. Yes they were jostling for position. But the second McDavid's back is turned, Lindholm still hits him with the cross check in the numbers. That's a penalty clear as day. The ref is a f***ing idiot to not call it.

Something really needs to be done about the refs. Maybe at no other stage in my hockey viewing history have I ever been concerned about it as I am now. If nothing is called on the best player in the world on a clear hit, then who's to say any other player is truly protected? I tune into other teams to see superstars like McDavid perform. Not to see hits from behind on a player who beat someone to the puck.

Fans and player/coaches can only do so much to bring hits like this to like. I'm glad the media seems to be digging into it and bringing attention to hits like this. Sad as it is, sometimes to ignite change and get things done you have to publicly shame people into doing something about it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm an outside fan, but since I was watching the Oiler's game last night and saw the hit I thought I'd pop into your forum to see what you guys thought.

I thought it was a nasty hit. McDavid is lucky to have adjusted his direction when he hit the boards and not go in head first. Otherwise that's a nasty head/neck injury. Yes they were jostling for position. But the second McDavid's back is turned, Lindholm still hits him with the cross check in the numbers. That's a penalty clear as day. The ref is a ****ing idiot to not call it.

Something really needs to be done about the refs. Maybe at no other stage in my hockey viewing history have I ever been concerned about it as I am now. If nothing is called on the best player in the world on a clear hit, then who's to say any other player is truly protected? I tune into other teams to see superstars like McDavid perform. Not to see hits from behind on a player who beat someone to the puck.

Fans and player/coaches can only do so much to bring hits like this to like. I'm glad the media seems to be digging into it and bringing attention to hits like this. Sad as it is, sometimes to ignite change and get things done you have to publicly shame people into doing something about it.
McDavid is not the only star player that essentially gets the "no call" option from the refs. But he is probably the most frequent victim. I have a strong sense that they feel it is important to allow players to get away with things against top players to even the playing field. The refs know that if you don't cheat McDavid can be unstoppable. The problem is that letting innocent stuff go leads to the kind of thing we saw yesterday.

Reactions: Aerrol and TB12

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The league has never taken hits from behind seriously yet they call ticky tack penalties by the bushful (McDavid is exempt from this of course).

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
If Crosby had made that play it would be considered good veteran play, and Crosby most definitely would have got the call no doubt.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Again, I think the best solution, because at this point it's laughably bad, is to continue to embarrass the league until something major happens. Either an injury that's super egregious because they are trying to show the Oilers up in which the league and it's official look incompetent to the point that someone has to step in, or the league actually realize the issue their facing and find a legit solution to a serious problem they've been actively ignoring.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
connor mcdavid should just opt out of the allstar game. tell the league he needs time to heal from the blatant abuse he takes on a nightly basis.

i would also have no problem if conner reacts next time by cross checking the person right in the face. if the league and referees wont protect players then they should be free to protect themselves. i know this isnt how it works but at least it would draw full media attention to the issue.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Again, I think the best solution, because at this point it's laughably bad, is to continue to embarrass the league until something major happens. Either an injury that's super egregious because they are trying to show the Oilers up in which the league and it's official look incompetent to the point that someone has to step in, or the league actually realize the issue their facing and find a legit solution to a serious problem they've been actively ignoring.

the first player to end up paralyzed will be able to show example after example and sue the league that it did nothing to eliminate the hits from the game.

Reactions: Supermassive

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think this is oilers related, I think this is star player related, the officials are trying to create an even playing field by allowing all these scrubs to interfere and hook and such.

I think part of it is they want to slow the game down to lower concussions, cause if they wanted to grow the game they would call it more to allow the skill players to show off and bring fans into the game.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't think this is oilers related, I think this is star player related, the officials are trying to create an even playing field by allowing all these scrubs to interfere and hook and such.

I think part of it is they want to slow the game down to lower concussions, cause if they wanted to grow the game they would call it more to allow the skill players to show off and bring fans into the game.
I'm just saying the Oilers have the most prominent player, so embarrass the league until they face their actual problem.

I see what you're saying, but you could call a lot of penalties on those "hits" that guys like Chris Wagner throw, as an example

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It's quite amazing that McDavid doesn't complain to the refs at all about anything.
Little Johnny would be crying like a baby if that happened to him. Maybe McDavid can pick up some crybaby pointers from JG at the Allstar game.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..

After that hit, Hitch should have called his players back to the bench.
Bring out the I pad, and showed the replay to the refs.
Ask them how the f**k, is that not a penalty..

Sure he probably would have got fined, but if concern for the safety of your players is a fine-able offense..The players union should step in..

The NHL must make referees, accountable for their actions, before someone gets seriously injured....

Reactions: McDrai

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
After that hit, Hitch should have called his players back to the bench.
Bring out the I pad, and showed the replay to the refs.
Ask them how the f**k, is that not a penalty..

Sure he probably would have got fined, but if concern for the safety of your players is a fine-able offense..The players union should step in..

The NHL must make referees, accountable for their actions, before someone gets seriously injured....

In theory I've always wanted to see this, but referees in the NHL are petty and have long memories.

They would terrorize this team if we ever tried to show them up that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad