Measuring Cups

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
When the Bruins won the Stanley Cup about 20 years ago in June of 2011 didn't it seem like 3 months of just pure happiness and sunny days followed? If there was a happy pill this was it?

Sure Boston lost Kaberle and Ryder but everyone else was here and life at least as a Bruins fan seemed grand.

I know Chicago has 3 Cups but its like a scene from the Sting. As soon as its over a crew comes in and dismantles the set.

First year it was Byfuglien and Ladd and others gone....in 2013 a few more, but this year to see Brandon Saad go and others it would be depressing to me.

I guess I want my cake and eat it too and that's what the 2011 Cup felt like. It was the Summer of Feel Good tour.

You think back as a kid to a great summer where every day was sunny and happy and life was good and it never rained or was cloudy and you were never unhappy in your mind- even though you know that's not true. That is how 2011 felt many, many years ago when we were all much younger:laugh:....or so it seemed

I still have the recent Sports Illustrated with the Black Hawks on the cover as a current day dynasty- not far last night from an open page on HF Boards Chicago board with a good sized thread wanting the GM fired.

wow times infinity

Three is better than one but that one sure seemed like 100 days of the best of life had to offer

I surely want another Cup here but I hope its a heck of a lot closer to what Boston had than what Chicago did....I bash Chiarelli with the best of them but I am very thankful guys weren't having their day with the Cup as Columbus Blue Jackets or Atlanta Thrashers

kudos to Chiarelli for that alone

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Great post! It was a great run and Peter Chiarelli played with fire remaking that 1st in the East 2009 team and was lucky he pushed his chips in when he did to have a contender in 2011. 3 very different teams those years and we should have gone to the finals to get swept by Chicago in 2010 when we had our weakest team of recent times (Lucic era teams.) GM and all were doing something right.

Keeping the crew together was great our 4th line peaked after 3+ full years together in the '13 playoffs and were the difference vs the Rangers. The sweep of Pittsburg is also justification for keeping the core around as much as we all begrudge overpaying Kelly etc.

Chiarelli screwed up not adding in '12 and had gone 4 years without making a "good" trade so Im glad hes gone but I think he steered the ship OK after the Cup despite no winner trades.

Shame Seidenberg was injured every even numbered year we made the finals the odd ones he wasn't.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Don't understand people getting on Bowman, unless it's from a neighboring franchise out of jealousy.

Okay, so it's difficult to see players you love leave. But does that really trump the incredible success they've had?

As nice as it was that Chiarelli was able to keep the team together, I'd much rather he had the courage to make the difficult decisions needed to be a perennial contender rather than make excuses about how difficult it is to do his job.

I will always appreciate Chia's time in Boston. Will remember it fondly for everything good he did for the Bruins and their fans. It's still unbelievable to me what he accomplished as our GM. But Bowman > Chiarelli every single day of the week.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Peter Chiarelli was a man who could do no wrong. His arm was twisted by Phil Kessels agent and Brian Burke the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He got rid of a supremely talented kid who had made himself a headache to the organization read: coach Julien and wanted a huge raise for the trouble. He was not what Chiarellli was ready for. But, given chicken **** he made chicken salad. He (Chiarelli) learned that if you just let people have what they want, in the end you'll end up on top. You'll end up with two first round picks, and one second rounder.
Chiarelli took Seguin with the first 1st rounder and Jared Knight with the second round pick in the 2010 NHL draft...Life was getting even better.
But IMO, in the back of his mind, Peter Chiarelli learned what disloyalty by one of his players feels like. Not good. So, he paid his players, the players who won his fame and a Stanley Cup, the first one for Boston in 39 years.
He was being trained. He learned that if you just sit back and let other GMs have their way they will overpay. He got cocky: He traided his wunderkind star Tyler Seguin to Dallas for what they offered, surely they would overpay AND take on Rich Peverly and his contract ! Wow, he thought this is the end of my problems. I'm back in cap compliance, I got rid of an irritation to the team and I get 3 NHL ready players in the process. That year the Bruins went to the SC finals, everything was working according to everyone else's plans and Chiarelli hardly had to lift a finger.
But, after another successful year the B's were in cap hell again, partly due to paying overrated under-performing players what they expected, partly because he took Jerome Iginla, the same guy who had turned his back on the Bruins the TD the year before for the Penguins.
So, Chiarelli scratched his itch and gave Iginla what he wanted, a several million dollar contract after incentive bonuses. Iggy played brilliantly the ensuing year, but fizzled out in the playoffs.
Now Chiarelli waited for the phone to ring, and ring it didn't. He waited, "evaluated" and waited some more. He really thought that another GM would call and make him an offer he couldn't refuse, afterall that's what happened with Seguin right? But the phone never rang, the deal to save him never came and prior to the '14-'15 season he traded what was probably his best all around defense-man, the stregnth of the blueline for two second round picks, to the NY Islanders. The rest is history, and so is Chiarelli in Boston. Now with Edmonton he's been put back into a can't lose position and IMO he won't (lose). Life is funny.

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011

Don't understand people getting on Bowman, unless it's from a neighboring franchise out of jealousy.

Okay, so it's difficult to see players you love leave. But does that really trump the incredible success they've had?

As nice as it was that Chiarelli was able to keep the team together, I'd much rather he had the courage to make the difficult decisions needed to be a perennial contender rather than make excuses about how difficult it is to do his job.

I will always appreciate Chia's time in Boston. Will remember it fondly for everything good he did for the Bruins and their fans. It's still unbelievable to me what he accomplished as our GM. But Bowman > Chiarelli every single day of the week.

I don't think fans realize how much of an impact Kane and Toews being on one team, and staying relatively healthy, means to that Blackhawks dynasty. You have to pay those guys, because if you just had one or the other, you wouldn't be looking at three Stanley Cups. Maybe one, two even, but not a dynasty.

The Blackhawks have two generational talents on their team. Keeping them is paramount, no matter what else you do. As Chiarelli has found out, its a lot easier to strike out and recover by trading a Sharp, Buff, Ladd, even a Saad, then it is on trading a top star.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009

I absoletely agree full heartedly with this in bold.
Stan also has the great privelege of getting hockey counseling by the great mastermind his dad Scotty Bowman.
I am certain without a doubt that Scotty has a good amount of input that is taken and put into action when it comes to team strategy and team personnel in regards to the teams hockey plans.

I also would like to add that in today's hockey world of the cap era and all, the decisions that need to be made are not always the most popular ones we all would like to see since most of them are not based on the players performance but the contracts that cannot be managed in their current team.
When these hard hockey business decisions are executed, as well know there exists dear fans that are attached to certain players or die hard fans that just love their team composition and will obviously feel the sting of these decisions and immediately judge and criticize them because we all want the best out come for our favorite team we are routing for.

There are obviously transactions that are performed that have your head scratching for a long time to why it was made or what kind of return was this for what we gave up....That is all part of the business of course and time to time people do get fleeced on hockey transactions and that usually happens when the people in the main core of upper management are not all on the same wave length and or have not been keeping track of their team as tightly as they should and lose some of the control to what is going around with their team as a whole which includes their hockey organization personnel which is strongly relied on with their hockey inputs and knowledge of the game.

Best of luck to Sweeney and company and I certainly have confidence that the future with be a better one very shortly...Perhaps a little patience will be needed but there is optimism that the " DON" has a plan and will get it done on ice eventually for the Bruins fans to enjoy.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
When the Bruins won the Stanley Cup about 20 years ago in June of 2011 didn't it seem like 3 months of just pure happiness and sunny days followed? If there was a happy pill this was it?

Sure Boston lost Kaberle and Ryder but everyone else was here and life at least as a Bruins fan seemed grand.

I know Chicago has 3 Cups but its like a scene from the Sting. As soon as its over a crew comes in and dismantles the set.

First year it was Byfuglien and Ladd and others gone....in 2013 a few more, but this year to see Brandon Saad go and others it would be depressing to me.

I guess I want my cake and eat it too and that's what the 2011 Cup felt like. It was the Summer of Feel Good tour.

You think back as a kid to a great summer where every day was sunny and happy and life was good and it never rained or was cloudy and you were never unhappy in your mind- even though you know that's not true. That is how 2011 felt many, many years ago when we were all much younger:laugh:....or so it seemed

I still have the recent Sports Illustrated with the Black Hawks on the cover as a current day dynasty- not far last night from an open page on HF Boards Chicago board with a good sized thread wanting the GM fired.

wow times infinity

Three is better than one but that one sure seemed like 100 days of the best of life had to offer

I surely want another Cup here but I hope its a heck of a lot closer to what Boston had than what Chicago did....I bash Chiarelli with the best of them but I am very thankful guys weren't having their day with the Cup as Columbus Blue Jackets or Atlanta Thrashers

I was actually pissed at Chiarelli as soon as free agency started. He had the cap space to improve the team, but he let Ryder and Kaberle walk (Kaberle was for the best), but replaced them with two worse players in Pouliot and Corvo. I was pissed and Mr Make Believe laughed at me for my concern :D.

A winning mentality starts at the top. Chicago is the best because their management goes all in when they can, spends to the cap, and really goes for it. It gets all the players fired up knowing management want's it as bad as they do and will do what they can do win. I think Chiarelli set the tone after we won the cup, "we believe you are good enough to win again." The players got lazy and believed their own hype thanks to management. I have said it time and time again, it is far better to be in cap jail with assets to trade than it is to not have anything to trade. If your GM doesn't mess it up.

As for Bowman, people are upset he lost Saad and he seems to be getting ripped apart on the Sharp trade. I think it is just amazing how much young talent Chicago actually has and they are one million under the cap with everyone signed. Guys like Dano and Teravainen are nice young pieces. Also, under the radar is the signing of Panarin from SKA. I watched him play live a few times and on TV here in Russia. He led SKA, the top team in the KHL, in scoring and scored 10 points for Russia in 10 games at the World Championships. He is a great talent, and I think he could do well.

Chicago will be a top team again next year.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Maybe Chicago is screwed right now, maybe not. Bottom line they have 3 cups in six years and we look in pretty rough shape and have 1.

Chicago fans are getting spoiled, I guess. That's what happens. They think JQ stinks too. What are you gonna do?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Maybe Chicago is screwed right now, maybe not. Bottom line they have 3 cups in six years and we look in pretty rough shape and have 1.

Chicago fans are getting spoiled, I guess. That's what happens. They think JQ stinks too. What are you gonna do?

Drafting well has been their key, pay the bottom 6 like a bottom 6 affording them the ability to pay the Hossa`s/Sharpe`s of the world

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't think fans realize how much of an impact Kane and Toews being on one team, and staying relatively healthy, means to that Blackhawks dynasty. You have to pay those guys, because if you just had one or the other, you wouldn't be looking at three Stanley Cups. Maybe one, two even, but not a dynasty.

The Blackhawks have two generational talents on their team. Keeping them is paramount, no matter what else you do. As Chiarelli has found out, its a lot easier to strike out and recover by trading a Sharp, Buff, Ladd, even a Saad, then it is on trading a top star.

So true.

Add a two time Norris Trophy winner in his prime to those 2, also.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

wow times infinity

For me October of 2004 was better. Even without hockey.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

wow times infinity

Summer 2011 was a great one :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad