Meanwhile, in non-Coyotes news... (LeBlanc's CFL Efforts)

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Sports' started by Silver Moose, Oct 31, 2018.

1. HugoSimon

HugoSimon Registered User

The more obvious choice is the East Coast Giants.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this isn't obvious, after the massive popularity of "East Coast Lifestyle" Tshirts to me it was obvious.

Atlantic Canada is a completely made up term, it has no emotional pull power with people on the East Coast.

You'd have more luck calling new york part of the mid west, than convincing newfies they have anything to do with the maritimes. To us maritimes mean's New Brunswick-PEI and Nova Scotia just going along with it out of politeness.

The East Coast is a far better branding, not only do newfies feel like they are the "real easterners", the term East Coast has some pull in Ontario. Especially among the Atlantic Canadian diaspora.

Than there is the whole carry over to US markets, where New Englanders etc would love to be attached to the brand.

The best part is that they already have the perfect mascot.

Giant Angus Mascaskill was a Cape Breton giant, who was famouns for lifting a massive anchor. \

To me it seems obvious that the East Coast Giants would feature the Giant lifting up a massive anchor.

Attached Files:

2. Habaneros

Habaneros Habs Cup champs 2010

3. sawchuk1971

sawchuk1971 Registered User

is this the same guy who tried to run the coyotes?

something tells me this guy is a fraud...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-atlantic-schooners-2021-1.5202241

its unrealistic to get a team in two years (2020)....supposedly the year to start is 2021...
    trouble selling tickets in the atlantic market....the reason? they cost too much....

4. Llama19

Llama19 Registered User

Never change Anthony...never change...

5. donghabs98

donghabs98 Moderator

I was originally excited about Touchdown Atlantic but then saw the price point. While they lowered it significantly I've already made plans before that. The price point with a mixture of a lack of marketing and it doesnt surprise me the game isnt selling tickets.

6. Mightygoose

Mightygoose Registered User

Yup. Mr. LeBlanc never changes.

All about optics and timelines that are not in his control. Dealing with a stadium project that's going to involve all 3 levels of government in some level, how can anyone tell when or if this will be done.

Hasn't learned his lesson all from the his failed endeavor with the new Coyotes arena. Even if things do get moving and they start playing in Moncton for 2021, that place only seats 10K permanent with no suites. How do they stay afloat until then?

Touchdown Atlantic is a joke. Who did the group survey to find out if the original prices would fly? A quick search at other CFL teams would be enough to find out what they charge. Now they finally lowered them to a reasonable level but many have been turned off and/or made other plans.

Which is a shame because the attendance at this game is no indication of the viability of the CFL in the maritimes, getting a stadium built is. A quick Google search on the Schooners failed bid in the 80s will tell you that. I guess LeBlanc didn't look when making is 75 page marketing plan.

7. Mightygoose

https://www.tsn.ca/halifax-cfl-grou...cess-not-critical-to-long-term-goal-1.1354952

On the heels of Sunday's touchdown Atlantic game on Sunday (Als will squash Argos).

Overpricing the game (end zone seats we're originally $74 before the price drop) and scrambling to fill it is giving the NFL tilt in Winnipeg a run for their money. Hopefully it should be a full length field :D

Agree that what happens at this game has no bearing if expansion happens. The stadium is. Apparently SSE is going to finally submit the business plan to council at the end of August....about 5 months late

From LeBlanc

"I've been my worst enemy in putting out unnecessary timelines, he said. "These things never work at a pace that you want them to. But I am very confident that once we deliver the package to Halifax regional municipal staff, people will see that this is real."

Well no **** Tony

We'll find out if he's learned his lesson in less than....2 weeks

8. TheLegend

TheLegend Megathread Gadfly

Llama Wrangler
    I think I’ve just found my new signature line. :biglaugh:

Thanks for finding that Goose.

Summer Rose and Mightygoose like this.
  9. Mightygoose

Looks like LeBlanc and co. finally submitted the business case to the city late last night.

Group trying to land CFL franchise in Halifax submits business plan to city - HalifaxToday.ca

This was first mention to be given in December, then March...maybe even June. Granted the project was scaled down a few months ago.

So...3rd...maybe 4th time is a charm?

Good to see this stage is finally done and with very little fanfare.

Should be about 6 months of review before any recommendation is made to move forward or not. At least this is not LeBlanc's timeline.

10. Mightygoose

Details (some of them) of stadium released.

https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/local-news/details-of-cfl-stadium-proposal-released-1714739

Phase 1. Cost under 94 million plus 10 million in land acquisition costs

12K permanent seats on one side. 9K semi-permanent on the other. About 1575 endzone seats plus about 2K standing room 'party zone'

The SSE proposal assumes that some or all the funds for the municipality’s financial support would be generated from a tax incremental financing (TIF) model

11. TheLegend

TheLegend Megathread Gadfly

Llama Wrangler
    Follow up story just released....

Stadium risk "very low" for HRM, says Schooner's co-founder - HalifaxToday.ca

-------------
    "One option in the proposal asks for Hailfax to contribute $2 million per year to the cost of the stadium. According to LeBlanc, some of that would be returned via a $10 surcharge added to tickets.

"HRM will have its full $2 million back, one million out of a cheque that we'll write every year, the second out of the surcharge," LeBlanc offered.
    --------------

And then.....

--------------
    On Monday, Bedford councillor Tim Outhit suggested the money was a lot to ask considering HRM will not own, operate or control the facility. As well, District 5 councillor Sam Austin questioned what would happen to the money HRM is told to expect from ticket sales should a potential CFL team go "belly up".

"The ownership of the facility is not super important to us, it's how it's going to be financed to be built, and then being operated," said LeBlanc "I think from HRM's perspective they want to be crystal clear they're not on the hook operationally, which we're willing to do regardless of the ownership structure."
    ---------------