Meanwhile, in non-Coyotes news... (LeBlanc's CFL Efforts)

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Sports' started by Silver Moose, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Hoser

Hoser Registered User

Frankly I don't believe the AAFL will actually generate the requisite revenue to pay their players as much as they've purported they will, and the fact they have a 10-game season is one of the biggest reasons why.

Again, this isn't the first time this has been tried, nor the first time the proposed league has made promises of higher salaries, and every time said new league has quietly faded away within few years (if they even made it past year one) because they didn't make anywhere near enough money to cover costs.

2. StreetHawk

StreetHawk Registered User

I also doubt it will last. People will e tired of football after the Super Bowl. More into the draft and free agency at that point. Over 5 months of watching football come feb.

But it will take away talent from the cfl in the short term and teams like Montreal, Toronto need to upgrade their talent. CFL can’t afford to have teams suffer for too long.

Even without another rival league to draw away players a 9 team cfl or so to be 10 team cfl really does not need 18 regular season games when 6 teams make the playoffs.

Hockey started before CAD thanksgiving. CFL gets pushed to the back burner at that point and competes with the nfl starting in sept. Shorten the season to end in late October or the first week in Nov.

3. Mightygoose

Mightygoose Registered User

Moncton Stadium could host games as early as 2020

Moncton Stadium Could Host Atlantic Canadian CFL Team As Early As 2020 - Huddle

This will only work if the stadium in Halifax is a sure thing either broken ground or shovel ready.

Some details of the season ticket deposit drive and ambitions.

To Quote
    Maritime Football has so far reached about 50 per cent of its goal in a ticket drive launched last week to gauge the public’s appetite for the team, he said. With a 24,000-seat stadium planned in Halifax, Maritime Football hopes to get at least 10,000 of the $50 refundable seat deposits sold, and preferably reach 12,000.
    “I would say especially with a marketing campaign coming, the Grey Cup, and of course the holiday season coming up…we think we’ll actually overachieve our goal,” LeBlanc said.

So with about half of that goal in the books without a big marketing push so far.....is that.........super progressed?

4. Llama19

Llama19 Registered User

With Anthony 'Two Weeks' LeBlanc...as it has only been one week...so another week...in making it to 100%...would make it super progressed...

5. Mightygoose

6. GuelphStormer

GuelphStormer Registered User

how is leblanc paying for this?

7. Killion

Killion Registered User

Weed Man. Dope. Big plans to be a Dealer now that Marygeewanna's been legalized north of the 49th... that too however in availing himself of Other. Peoples. Money.

Llama19 and GuelphStormer like this.
  8. Cellee

Cellee Registered User

CFL does not need a return to shaky ownership. lMontresl being the only real shaky spot

9. Mightygoose

10. crobro

crobro Registered User

As great as a team in Halifax would be a team in Anchorage would make more sense

And money

11. shmglsky

shmglsky Registered User

And where in Anchorage would they play? Last I checked there isn't a suitable stadium that could fit a CFL-sized field in Anchorage.

Would be interesting to see the Lions play an exhibition game there though to gauge or foster that remote possibility.

12. Llama19

Llama19 Registered User

Best quotes from the article:

"It was picked in a contest and already has a history. The Schooners was to be the name for a proposed CFL team in the 1980s, but that dream never materialized.

"Ultimately, the big hurdle is the stadium," said [CFL commissioner Randy] Ambrosie."

With LeBlanc at the helm...the team name is immaterial...the stadium is the real problem...

Fairview likes this.
  13. aqib

aqib Registered User

Why does a 24K seat CFL stadium cost $190 million?

14. shmglsky

shmglsky Registered User

To me there was no choice but "Atlantic Schooners." No other name came close.

The only other name I liked, which wasn't even used, was Maritime Bandits, which was apparently coined in a Terry Gilliam movie.

Probably for the best with LeBlanc and company trying to fleece Halifax council.

Llama19 likes this.
  15. End on a Hinote

End on a Hinote Registered Abuser

I like "Maritime" in the name too, but I guess that would be alienating the fans in NFLD since it's not a maritime province.

I would have like Maritime Marines.

16. shmglsky

shmglsky Registered User

I like Maritime Marauders better, which the Halifax CFL site did a jersey concept, but I'm generally not a big fan of alliteration. Especially when it's so obvious.

On a side hockey note the unofficial name the team in Seattle has me won over on Sockeyes, where previously I favored the Seattle Metropolitans or Seattle Thunderbirds (if either of those were available).

Though I would like to see a logo first: do you do a logo of a fish or black eyes--or a fish with a black eye?

17. BattleBorn

BattleBorn Tuched In.

Hell, I thought they were getting off cheap for $190Million (I assume) Canadian.

18. ColinM

ColinM Registered User

That is roughly what the 22 000 seat stadium in Hamilton cost (which opened in 2015).

19. aqib

aqib Registered User

I guess I'm just continually amazed at the infaltion of stadium costs since the late 90s stadium wave.

20. Llama19

Llama19 Registered User

It is all about the amenities...WiFi...TVs everywhere...upgraded luxury boxes...upgraded food choices...upgraded building finishes (like fancy glass and other bling)...just like a house...everyone wants the latest and greatest...

21. Killion

Killion Registered User

Great. So you take the aspirations of Atlantic Canada only your not a McCain nor are you an Irving but you TWIST it and MANIPULATE it & others (OPM) like Charlie Ponzi and "all is right with the world yes?".

Jesus Christ... what a Goof.

Llama19 likes this.
  22. cutchemist42

cutchemist42 Registered User

And if you look at the final product....it is pretty bare bones to other modern stadiums. THF is a good modern example of what a cheap stadium is in the 2010s.

23. Habaneros

Habaneros Habs Cup champs 2010

21 days since they announce the ticket drive..and at $50 bucks the bar was set real low....and they don't even got half the 12,000 goal reached yet....If the demand for CFL in Halifax is so hot , they would already been there in the first week....Got fail wrote all over it....

Maybe they should look at Moncton who seemed to quickly snap up tickets and fill the place.....build the stadium there...lol

If this was a head to head ticket drive Moncton vs Halifax for the chance of their own franchise ,i bet ya the tickets would already been sold out in Moncton...they probably be at 18,000+ deposits for season tickets in the first week...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Llama19 likes this.
  24. Wolf357

Wolf357 Registered User

I sincerely hope that Atlantic Canada gets a team.. love the game, love the League.
    My only fear is that The Atlantic Schooners will will a Grey Cup before my sad...sad Bombers

25. Habaneros

Habaneros Habs Cup champs 2010

the expansion Mexico Red Boomers might win one before WPG.. ;)