Meanwhile, in non-Coyotes news... (LeBlanc's CFL Efforts)

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Yes he was, along with Darrel Jones (also of IceEdge & Coyotes "Ownership" infamy) I believe.... run out of town on a rail basically & that was his "hometown". Ran for a seat in the Provincial Legislature up there as well and got totally hammered. Real popular guy with those who know him uh?... Spotty career, history & track record and thats being extremely kind, polite. Last I heard, he'd entered into some kinda crazy "cannabis distribution" dealeo, publicly traded of course, pump n' dump, big plans to open up stores across Canada or some such.... So just guessin, but he may well be thinkin that if he ply's enough people with weed they just might believe in him & his fantastical plans & shell out while forgetting he's a complete & utter Weasel.

Yep...Modern Leaf is the company...weed stock values gone up in smoke, too... :laugh:

strategyonline.ca/2018/03/27/former-rim-exec-anthony-leblanc-lands-at-modern-leaf/

Reactions: Killion

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Probably should have replaced the thread title with the wording instead of amending it. The original wording was the obvious clickbait attempt.

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
Yes he was, along with Darrel Jones (also of IceEdge & Coyotes "Ownership" infamy) I believe.... run out of town on a rail basically & that was his "hometown". Ran for a seat in the Provincial Legislature up there as well and got totally hammered. Real popular guy with those who know him uh?... Spotty career, history & track record and thats being extremely kind, polite. Last I heard, he'd entered into some kinda crazy "cannabis distribution" dealeo, publicly traded of course, pump n' dump, big plans to open up stores across Canada or some such.... So just guessin, but he may well be thinkin that if he ply's enough people with weed they just might believe in him & his fantastical plans & shell out while forgetting he's a complete & utter Weasel.

But hey at least he gave us an admirable chunk of the phoenix megathread discussion! :naughty:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Went to a CFL game this year (Argos) I don't think I'll ever go back (unless there's incentive). I wonder how long the league can be sustainable with the new XFL and the other spring league in the US. I figure American players would rather stay in the US and probably will make more money.

BigBadBread

Shi Shi Shawww
Dec 4, 2006
Halifax is the only Atlantic Canadian city that can potentially house a successful CFL team in my opinion. Living in Newfoundland I can tell you that the sport of football here is still in it's infancy in terms of youth participation and is far down on the list of popular sports played by local kids. There may be a small handful of high school teams in St John's but I could not for the life of me name any of them. The first "football only" field open here only last month. Rugby is far more popular around here than football.

Still hope this is a success for the CFL and Halifax!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Went to a CFL game this year (Argos) I don't think I'll ever go back (unless there's incentive). I wonder how long the league can be sustainable with the new XFL and the other spring league in the US. I figure American players would rather stay in the US and probably will make more money.
That’s dependent on how those leagues last? Will Americans be tired of football after the Super Bowl and look forward to the break and focus on the draft and fee agency?

In the short term that hurts the CFL.

CFL season is too long IMO. When 6/9 teams make the playoffs you don’t need 18 games. Cut it down. Treat it like a college conference like the SEC or PAC12.

I would also look at limiting weekday games. If they play 5 games a week and I think they should only do that 6 times, with the beginning and end of the season where everyone plays and use the middle portion to give the bye weeks. Double header in Saturdays and maybe sundays during the summer. Friday can be double header if needed.
I would cut out Wednesday night games. I could also see Thursday being eliminated as well. Pick your core 2-3 days to show the games. I know their partner tan needs programming during the summer but it also needs to work for the league and some markets like bc and Toronto don’t do well at the gate mid week.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Good, it's been a while since we last saw a major team branded with a name-the-team contest, with recent questionable names like the Golden Knights and REDBLACKS ALL CAPS being just owner whims, though I wouldn't be surprised if they have a name already in mind and will ram it through when it invariably gets nominated by a random person.

My wife's choice is Halifax Highlanders and for the team to show clips from Goon whenever possible.

Reactions: cutchemist42

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Not sure where you could locate another 3 teams. If maritimes gets one, I assume Quebec City would be next logical bet. But where else? The way Toronto struggles would another CFL team in the golden horseshoe really work? That's where the population is. Could Saskatoon support a team on its own?

I know 12 is really pushing it in a league that's only a hot ticket on the prairies, but I really think Quebec City would embrace a team and create a great rivalry with Montreal. I do think 11 teams can work.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yep, I don't think the Megathread will ever be completely suppressed as long as the Coyotes are still in existence.

And probably even after that...

Chat Boards should be open to all, closed only to Censors. You can be certain that when the "Official Spokespersons" are the only ones with loudspeakers that whatever bogus narrative is being served up is beyond ripe, rotten to the core. Drowning out the voices of reason, the inquisitive as they fear what they'll say, uncover, overturn.... Won a few battles but they certainly havent won the War, still losing it very very very badly indeed. But, whatever. Not my problem. I dont live in Arizona, dont own this site, no in-put, no nothin.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Agreed, the Coyotes megathread does kind of live in this thread. However as it looks like business is about to pick up on the CFL to Halifax front, perhaps it's time to rename this thread accordingly.

OR

Rename all threads here 'Non-Coyotes News'.....that way it lives forever :laugh:

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Good, it's been a while since we last saw a major team branded with a name-the-team contest, with recent questionable names like the Golden Knights and REDBLACKS ALL CAPS being just owner whims, though I wouldn't be surprised if they have a name already in mind and will ram it through when it invariably gets nominated by a random person.

My wife's choice is Halifax Highlanders and for the team to show clips from Goon whenever possible.

I know Atlantic Schooners is one everyone goes to because of the past attempt, but I like Highlanders a lot. However, if they go with branding to recognize the region, Acadians are sometimes ugly people when it comes to the British Isles and I could Highlanders branding not working in New Brunswick (personal experience).

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

The last one I remember was the Minnesota Wild. I think the proposed San Diego MLS team tried that and the winner was "Footy McFootface"

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Halifax is pretty much the only option for any additional franchise.
Grey Cup champions Toronto draws flies... no where in the Golden Horseshoe or anywhere in Southern Ontario would work.
Saskatoon would work but Riders Nation is province wide..it would significantly hurt the team in Regina.
Quebec City is a interesting idea but I just don’t think the major Francophone population would embrace it.
Only American city that supported the CFL during the US expansion was Baltimore. But everywhere else was a bust.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005

The old XFL, USFL, WLAF, Continental League and the like have come and gone, while Canadian football is still around and well over a century old. That's not to say the CFL is infallible (far from it...), but history shows that competing American leagues tend to flame out very quickly under the pressure of their own competition for attendees and viewers at home (historically many of the pro teams in smaller American markets were decimated when college football started, a factor that isn't in play in Canada whatsoever).

Also, historically these smaller American leagues haven't paid very well at all. Everything I've heard about "XFL 2.0" is the league average might hit $75,000 per season (the "XFL 1.0"'s average was about $45,000), and 'exceptional' players might earn a couple hundred grand. Star players in the CFL make several hundred grand a year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The old XFL, USFL, WLAF, Continental League and the like have come and gone, while Canadian football is still around and well over a century old. That's not to say the CFL is infallible (far from it...), but history shows that competing American leagues tend to flame out very quickly under the pressure of their own competition for attendees and viewers at home (historically many of the pro teams in smaller American markets were decimated when college football started, a factor that isn't in play in Canada whatsoever).

Also, historically these smaller American leagues haven't paid very well at all. Everything I've heard about "XFL 2.0" is the league average might hit $75,000 per season (the "XFL 1.0"'s average was about $45,000), and 'exceptional' players might earn a couple hundred grand. Star players in the CFL make several hundred grand a year.
That’s just the QB making the big money really.

I do agree that it’s hard for any new USA football league to survive. People are tired of football after the super bowl. Plus there is free agency to follow along with the draft between feb may.

But the cfl has to be proactive to still matter. Again, I think reducing the number of games would help. Along with reducing weekday games as some markets don’t draw well during the middle of the week. May be best to end the season in late October so that there fewer overlap with he NHL and NFL if they wish to begin in June or still end in the mid to later part of nov if they start on Canada day.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
That’s just the QB making the big money really.

I do agree that it’s hard for any new USA football league to survive. People are tired of football after the super bowl. Plus there is free agency to follow along with the draft between feb may.

But the cfl has to be proactive to still matter. Again, I think reducing the number of games would help. Along with reducing weekday games as some markets don’t draw well during the middle of the week. May be best to end the season in late October so that there fewer overlap with he NHL and NFL if they wish to begin in June or still end in the mid to later part of nov if they start on Canada day.

This year, the CFL started having the 18 games over 21 weeks as opoosed to 20, giving teams 3 bye weeks.

This was done to avoid short weeks caused by the odd number of teams. This eliminated mid week games with the execution of Thursdays which only run in the summer (TSN content) and holiday Mondays.

I would like to see a 16 game schedule return should the 10th team join and the season can be played over 17 weeks. Won't need 3 byes anymore....though the 16 game skeds will likley never happen.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Chat Boards should be open to all, closed only to Censors. You can be certain that when the "Official Spokespersons" are the only ones with loudspeakers that whatever bogus narrative is being served up is beyond ripe, rotten to the core. Drowning out the voices of reason, the inquisitive as they fear what they'll say, uncover, overturn.... Won a few battles but they certainly havent won the War, still losing it very very very badly indeed. But, whatever. Not my problem. I dont live in Arizona, dont own this site, no in-put, no nothin.

Yep...looks great on the surface...
but when you cut into it...
th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->