GDT: Meaningless Late Night Gane

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
On the OT goal, it looks like the shot grazes TT, which causes it to change trajectory and flutter...either this or Pearson shot a knuckle puck.

Darling was set up fine and just had to fight that one off because of the change of direction...it sucks in the context of the game overall (comeback in the 3rd /controlling play in OT / game losing goal), but I don't give Darling a demerit for it.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
That OT sums up our season, all of the position for us, can`t score, Darling fumbles and they score. Another OT point, we might get that OT record soon.

I`m sorry, but Darling is just not good enough. This happens like every game now. He is way too inconsistent, made to be backup forever.

Something has to change, this team is better than this.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'm done with being a goalie apologist. Darling sucks. I don't give a f*** if that puck changed direction 5 times, that shit is inexcusable. There is no f***ing way he has earned the number of starts he's been getting. If they're throwing away the season to develop him into a starter, fine, come out and f***ing say it and stop wasting our f***ing time.

Peters sucks too.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Sure, but Cam hasn't really earned more starts either. He probably has looked better than Darling overall, but isn't getting the results either. So it's either try to get the guy going we're paying a lot of money to for a lot of years, play the goalie we have a huge sample size of trash play from, or call up Ned and likely ruin the confidence he seems to be building.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Sure, but Cam hasn't really earned more starts either. He probably has looked better than Darling overall, but isn't getting the results either. So it's either try to get the guy going we're paying a lot of money to for a lot of years, play the goalie we have a huge sample size of trash play from, or call up Ned and likely ruin the confidence he seems to be building.

Scott has 7 wins in 21 games. Ward has 4 wins in 8 games.

Saying Ward "isn't getting the results either" is simply ignoring how little Darling has produced

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Scott has 7 wins in 21 games. Ward has 4 wins in 8 games.

Saying Ward "isn't getting the results either" is simply ignoring how little Darling has produced

Saying Ward has 4 wins in 8 games seems to ignore some things as well. You know, like Ward giving up nearly half a goal per game more on average. Do you really think with those numbers Ward would have done anything better starting in place of Darling? I said Ward's quite possibly looked better, but that doesn't matter for much. Not to mention ignoring that we know what Ward has to offer over large sample sizes. Check out his stats from last year for instance. Not a far cry from where Darling is at, but scoring is up this year, and the D doesn't seem to be nearly as good in front of the goalies this year. Darling blows right now, but I fail to see how Cam has been better or earned anything more.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I guess we can only hope we’ve learned to not give budget acquisitions big money deals like they’re going to suddenly blossom into something they’ve never been over their career.

Three more years of Pillsbury Doughboy floundering around doing everything he can to f*** up routine saves

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Saying Ward has 4 wins in 8 games seems to ignore some things as well. You know, like Ward giving up nearly half a goal per game more on average. Do you really think with those numbers Ward would have done anything better starting in place of Darling? I said Ward's quite possibly looked better, but that doesn't matter for much. Not to mention ignoring that we know what Ward has to offer over large sample sizes. Check out his stats from last year for instance. Not a far cry from where Darling is at, but scoring is up this year, and the D doesn't seem to be nearly as good in front of the goalies this year. Darling blows right now, but I fail to see how Cam has been better or earned anything more.

At this point, the team simply needs wins. Given that one goaltender has 7 wins in 21 games and the other has 4 wins in 8 games and (in your words) has "probably looked better" than the other, there's no logical reason not to give Ward more starts.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I'm still not sold on Darling being a lost cause. His rebound control isn't great, but you can account for that by occasionally keeping one of your own players somewhere near the net.

He's given up a lot of fluky goals. I'm holding out hope his eye hand coordination can't possibly be this bad.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
At this point, the team simply needs wins. Given that one goaltender has 7 wins in 21 games and the other has 4 wins in 8 games and (in your words) has "probably looked better" than the other, there's no logical reason not to give Ward more starts.

The logical reason is we know what he have in Ward over a large sample size. As much as we're all pissed at Darling's level of play, we don't know that yet with him. And just because I think Ward has looked better, I don't think the overall results are there to warrant a huge increase in playing time. However, I did say recently that if Ward actually too the reins for a short time, or if they gave him a slightly larger split to help ease the transition for Darling, I'd be okay with it. But Ward hasn't put together consistently good starts since the beginning of the year.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Yup. We got excited over an unproven guy who had good numbers as a backup. Just like we did with Lack. Shame on us for buying into the hype.

I watched quite a bit of Darling the last few years and I was pumped to get him. He has not looked like the same goalie. I've mentioned before he looks a lot "noisier" with his movement; combine that with his inexplicable gaffs and we're looking at a guy that is not ready to be a starter. I don't know if it's the pressure, the physical workload, or if this is what he's always been and I didn't watch him enough. Either way, they should be moving towards a 50/50 split until he's more comfortable.

I'm still not sold on Darling being a lost cause. His rebound control isn't great, but you can account for that by occasionally keeping one of your own players somewhere near the net.

He's given up a lot of fluky goals. I'm holding out hope his eye hand coordination can't possibly be this bad.

I don't think he's a lost cause in the long run, but this season has quickly become a lost cause due in large part to his play, a season that from ownership to management to coaching to players to fans was meant to be the one that landed us on the other side of the bubble.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

He has also made some outstanding saves at key points in the wins the Canes have.

Some revisionist history going on with Darling. Many Chicago fans believed that Darling was better than Crawford. Reports out of Dallas said they were targetting Darling over Bishop.

What else were the Canes to do? Go into this year with Ward/Lack again? They got the best guy available. He hasn't been a slam dunk but this wasn't some reclamation project.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I agree he's been noisier than he was in Chicago from the start this year. But it's gotten worse as the year goes on. And right now, when something goes wrong, he gets rattled. You can see it in his reaction to many of his goals. I think it stays with him far too often. So I think that part of his game is much worse now than it was even at the start of the year. Hopefully he can re-discover the calmness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->