Mush Marsh
Red Green
Robin Bigsnake
Fred Saskamoose
Wacey Rabbitt

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Eddie "The Nose" Shack

Ah yes, aka "The Entertainer". A Toronto band released a single mid-60's called "Clear the Track, Here Comes Shack" (he knocks' em down then he gives them a whack...). Number one with a Bullet for about 3 weeks across Canada. It was said of Eddie it was like watching a big loping wet puppy let loose on an open field. 3rd line agitator. In a game against the Rangers in one play, he elbows Rod Gilbert in the head & then crosschecks Phil Goyette across the back of the skull, skates nonchalantly to the bench, leaving both men unconscious on the ice. :naughty:

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Ulf "robocop" Samuelsson.

Although on the surface it's not bad, a closer inspection shows that this nick name was made because of his anti-tank armour he wore along with his shield.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
They all are. :laugh:
Mush Marches first name was Harold, and I doubt Izzy and Bubba were real given names. "Izzy Goodenow" sounds like a pun on "Is he good enough?" as well. Either way, most of those were definitely not nicknames.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
No mention yet of an HFBoards original.....LOL Anson Carter.

One of the guys on another forum I am on used to call Kari Lehtonen, "Sick Note" Kari. He is not getting as many injuries now, so it is a bit lame.

My brother still calls him Kari Lettin'-'em-in.

Ah yes, aka "The Entertainer". A Toronto band released a single mid-60's called "Clear the Track, Here Comes Shack" (he knocks' em down then he gives them a whack...). Number one with a Bullet for about 3 weeks across Canada. It was said of Eddie it was like watching a big loping wet puppy let loose on an open field. 3rd line agitator. In a game against the Rangers in one play, he elbows Rod Gilbert in the head & then crosschecks Phil Goyette across the back of the skull, skates nonchalantly to the bench, leaving both men unconscious on the ice. :naughty:

There was a story that he took a penalty right in front of the Toronto bench, and Punch Imlach yelled at him to come to the bench immediately after his penalty ended. Shack yelled back, asking what to do if he had a chance for a breakaway. Imlach told him that he'd screw it up anyway, and just come to the bench.

Shack's penalty expired, and he went charging across the ice at full speed with a series of ear-splitting war whoops. He got to within about five feet of the bench, then threw himself over the boards and into the stick rack (the players in his path having vacated the area).

Lee Van Cleef*

Fatty Marleau
Joe "Tin Man" Thornton
Evgeni "5-hole" Nabokov

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Shack's penalty expired, and he went charging across the ice at full speed with a series of ear-splitting war whoops. He got to within about five feet of the bench, then threw himself over the boards and into the stick rack (the players in his path having vacated the area).

Hadnt heard that one before but sure enough sounds like Shack alright, thanks for sharing. Eddie seemed to delight in being airborne, was really pretty dirty with the sneak attacks. Stuff like taking a running Cannonball onto the back of the perfectly innocent Pat Stapleton, who literally had to crawl to Chicago's bench 25' away after the hit. All behind the play of course...

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Ross Lupaschuk - Ross Losethepuck
(the classic case of "all the tools but no toolbox")

Lyle Odelein - Cornelius
(named by Matt Barnaby after the Planet of the Apes chimpanzee)

I still laugh about Cornelius....

Dave "cement head" Samenko. Only NHL fighter to box Ali in exhibition match ?

Aug 3, 2010
Flames fans used to, and still do, call Rob Niedermayer "Special Nieds".

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Ross Lupaschuk - Ross Losethepuck
(the classic case of "all the tools but no toolbox")

Lyle Odelein - Cornelius
(named by Matt Barnaby after the Planet of the Apes chimpanzee)

Losethepuck might be one of my favorite nicknames, good or bad.

I think it's funny that people nicknamed Ben Lovejoy "Reverend" after the Simpsons character, and he had no idea where it came from.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com...joy-on-life-in-the-nhl-247-and-yinz-09-06-11-

EN - Was there a point in life where jokes about Reverend Lovejoy got old?

BL - This is the first year anyone has ever called me Reverend or ever even made reference to it. Maybe people in New Hampshire didn't watch '"The Simpsons."

When we were staying in Montreal a TSN announcer called me Reverend Lovejoy during a highlight on Sportcentre (That's how they spell it up there). Mike Rupp asked me the next day how the announcers knew that was my nickname. Not everyone watches I guess.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Bit OT here but I always get a laff out of CFL receiver Kamau Peterson being called "Incompleterson" due to his penchant for dropping passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad