Mean-spirited nicknames

• Thread starter Tavaresmagicalplay*
  • Start date

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I wouldn't call that mean-spirited, more a compliment towards an intense player who played bigger than his size. You could have given that name to Theo Fleury or Darcy Tucker and it would have meant the same.
Yeah, I guess so, since "Little Ball of Hate" was given to Verbeek by teammate Healy as a funny send-up of Ferraro's "Big Ball of Hate".

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
There was an unemployed, one-eyed guy that used to come in to the beer store I worked at to buy lottery tickets all the time. He never won and his nickname was "Lucky".

I had a fat cat once and I named him Slim.

That's all I got.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It was short lived and barely used, but I remember the nickname "Wayne Betzky" circling at one time. More reason for Edmontonians to hate Janet I guess

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
There was an unemployed, one-eyed guy that used to come in to the beer store I worked at to buy lottery tickets all the time. He never won and his nickname was "Lucky".

I had a fat cat once and I named him Slim.

That's all I got.

Hockey had the inimitable "One Eyed" Frank McGee, a member of the famed Ottawa Silver Seven from hockeys earliest days. Legally blind in one eye, playing Rover & Center, "ol Dead Eye" once scored 14 goals in a single Stanley Cup game; 8X's scoring more than 5 goals in regular season games. The National Film Board of Canada many years ago made an amusing short (animated) film on his exploits.... I had a fat cat once as well, named him Killion. :)

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Hockey had the inimitable "One Eyed" Frank McGee, a member of the famed Ottawa Silver Seven from hockeys earliest days. Legally blind in one eye, playing Rover & Center, "ol Dead Eye" once scored 14 goals in a single Stanley Cup game; 8X's scoring more than 5 goals in regular season games. The National Film Board of Canada many years ago made an amusing short (animated) film on his exploits.... I had a fat cat once as well, named him Killion. :)

Frank was an interesting character. Wasn't he killed in WW!? Also I believe he was a nephew of one of the fathers of Confederation-Darcy McGee. A movie should be made about Frank. (also of Darcy who was an Irish rebel before he decided to work within the system)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Also, not necessarily a nickname but Dave Reece has long been the goalie associated with the joke that claims after he allowed Sittler's 10 point night against he was so depressed he went down to the subway to commit suicide but the subway went between his legs!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Frank was an interesting character. Wasn't he killed in WW!? Also I believe he was a nephew of one of the fathers of Confederation-Darcy McGee. A movie should be made about Frank. (also of Darcy who was an Irish rebel before he decided to work within the system)

Ya, he died in France in 1915. His Father was the Clerk of the Privy Council and D'Arcy was one of the founding "Fathers" of Confederation. At only 5'6", Frank McGee was built like a Brick____ House and was tougher than nails on top of being a Hell of a skater & prolific goal scorer. Due to his handicap (got a puck in the eye as a kid), he apparently tricked the Recruiting Officer into admission, strict at the time, switching his right & left hands over his bad eye in order to pass the medical... I think it was the Battle of the Somme that got him; unmarked grave, body never found...

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Andrei "Empty Tank" Kovalenko

Jon "Technicolor 5 hole" Casey

courtesy of Kevin Paul Dupont

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Ross Lupaschuk - Ross Losethepuck
(the classic case of "all the tools but no toolbox")

Lyle Odelein - Cornelius
(named by Matt Barnaby after the Planet of the Apes chimpanzee)

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I love the "Red Light". Also for Jose Theodore there is Jose Three-or-four. Not as good as Three-or-more but still decent.

E: Just remembered Chris Not-so-good and Osbad.
I love the version which we often use on our slovak hockey forum - José The-open-door :laugh:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
That would be Pat Verbeek,

Milan Lucic - Lurch
Nick Palmieri - Napalm
Alf Pike - The Embalmer
Marty Brodeur - Satans Wallpaper
Adam Burish - Patient Zero
Daniel Carcillo - Car Bomb
Tie Domi - Albanian Assassin