GDT: MDSF: (3) Penguins vs. (2) Islanders - Game 2 | 4.12 @ 7:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
OUTLOOK
The New York Islanders played their game to a tee in Game 1. They got pucks in deep and wreaked havoc on the Penguins’ defense in what turned out to be a 4-3 win in OT. Brock Nelson, among others, spearheaded the attack for the Isles. Expect more of the same in a pivotal Game 2.

The Penguins, who were overwhelmed at times, will need to adjust to the pressure from the Islanders. While nobody on the Pens had a particularly good game, Olli Maatta struggled mightily. Suffice to say, the Pens will need to address their play in the defensive zone and through the neutral zone.

THEY SAID IT
"We have to do a better job as a group trying to handle it," Sullivan said. "I don't think the onus is just on defensemen. It's a five-man collective effort. It starts in the neutral zone… We need to communicate with one another.”

"We just stayed to it," Islanders coach Barry Trotz said. "I liked our composure on the bench. There were a lot of twists and turns to that game. ... [We] didn't flinch at all."

STARTING LINEUPS
Per Daily Faceoff

:pens
59 Guentzel - 87 Crosby - 17 Rust
19 McCann - 71 Malkin - 72 Hornqvist
12 Simon - 29 Bjugstad - 81 Kessel
46 Aston Reese - 7 Cullen - 10 Wilson

8 Dumoulin - 58 Letang
3 Maatta - 4 Schultz
28 Pettersson - 44 Gudbranson

30 Murray

:isles
27 Lee - 13 Barzal - 7 Eberle
12 Bailey - 29 Nelson - 14 Kuhnhackl
18 Beauvillier - 51 Filppula - 47 Komarov
17 Martin - 53 Cizikas - 15 Clutterbuck

2 Leddy - 55 Boychuk
3 Pelech - 6 Pulock
25 Toews - 24 Mayfield

40 Lehner

GAMEDAY MUSIC

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@KIRK It's actually open this time. :thumbu:

That's why you're the best moderator in the game.

Regarding lines . . .

Tbf to Sullivan I thought the L2/3 lines played much better with the new combos. Sully can’t just cater to L1, and plus it’s not like 59-87-17 wasn’t a buzzsaw earlier this year. Line 1 mostly goes how Crosby goes anyway imo.

Ngl, now that it’s the playoffs— just win baby.

If Sid is balls to the walls tonight AND Jake is playing an honest 200 foot game and the line STILL sucks, then yes a change needs to be made.

My gut says Sully starts with the same lines, at least for the top 9. How long that lasts is one question.

The other is what switch he makes. My guess:

If L2 is killing it, perhaps Simon and Rust.
If L3 is killing it and L2 stinks. perhaps McCann and Rust.
If L3 is killing it and L2 is really good, more likely Horny and Rust.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Bryan Rust has 4 even strength points over his last 17 games. A true 1st liner through and through.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Here's the money quote . . .

"The Islanders played a very heavy, hardworking game, but also allowed the Penguins top line to make their own mistakes that the rest of the forward group really did not make.

And given who Sidney Crosby is, the safe bet here is that he won’t have another game like this the rest of the postseason."

Exactly what I was talking about seeing during the game in terms of what the different lines were doing.

And, sort of confirms what I said after the game, referencing the article from @Jesse, that the way to break that trap is to have deeper support on the breakout from the forwards and use short passes and close support through the neutral zone.

L2 and L3 were doing it all night. But, as noted, Sid was cheating to the offensive side of the puck until OT, and Jake was cherry picking, meaning L1 was playing into the Isles hands.

Fortunately, I agree with the article's conclusion.

If Sid isn't a monster tonight, it will be one of the few times in life something genuinely surprises me.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
This team has ran on the back of Sid all year and up until that late season game against the Flyers where he personally made the same mistake twice in a row to lose us the game, he had been other worldly. It's been hit and miss since but if Im betting on one player to recover and play better you know it's Sid.

Let's hope the rest of the lines can keep up their play.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Can't wait till they forgot the puck dropped and stand around until the Islanders score again. Let's see if they can go 2 minutes this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad