Mcquaid TKO's Martin

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I've got no horse in this race, but man oh man that was both the fight of the year and the beatdown of the year!

He got caught, but it wasn't a 'beatdown'. Martin was arguably winning the fight until the end. This fight from last night was more of a beatdown IMO.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Martin gets payed 2.5 million a year to play 8 minutes a night. He should have no problem fighting a guy with a friggin old school cast iron diving mask for that kind of money.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Jesus ****ing christ.... 4 pages because some dude not wearing a visor picked a fight with some dude wearing a visor.... and lost.

Doesn't every fan base in this thread have bigger things to worry about?

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
A throwback fight. Hope Martin is OK. McQuaid had better stamina and Martin's defense went south as the fight progressed. Appreciate Mciuaid not celebrating - Boultonesque.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
McQuaid is a total warrior/badass/playoff stud. Martin no slouch when it comes to sticking up for his team and is fearless. Two heart and soul pros.

Glad to see there are still glimpses of that part of the game. No one in TD Garden was in their seat for that tilt and tickets will be sold in part because of that great scrap.

Edit: As far as Quaider wearing the visor it is because he took a puck in the eye a few years back. He went without one for years. Any hater that thinks 54 "hides" behind the shield of a visor is no real hockey fan.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
In case you haven't noticed over 90 % of the league wear visors as it has been mandated for most players as for Martin he was over matched in his this fight and got destroyed.

Disagree. Martin had the score card for most of it, but ate one hell of a right and went down hard.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why doesn't McQuaid wear a cage instead? That would have really bloodied Martin up...

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
I used to be in the "you're not tough if you have a visor on" camp, but I just don't think it's a valid argument anymore. Once they changed the rules, and a bunch of new tough guys came up through the ranks with visors on because they had to, it sort of became inevitable that more and more guys would put one on. Good on Martin for not wearing one, but I don't think you can crush a guy for fighting with a visor anymore. Not to mention, in this particular scrap, Martin went after McQuaid after the hit on Matthews. He knew the deal.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Why doesn't McQuaid wear a cage instead? That would have really bloodied Martin up...

Maybe Martin shouldn't fight a guy who's beat him twice before he got shook up in this one? It's funny how Martin wouldn't fight McQuaid earlier in the game when McQuaid tried to get him to fight, but waits until McQuaid is at the end of his shift and he still got blasted.

Looks like the Leafs big bad Sheriff is 0-2 against the Bruins this year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe Martin shouldn't fight a guy who's beat him twice before he got shook up in this one? It's funny how Martin wouldn't fight McQuaid earlier in the game when McQuaid tried to get him to fight, but waits until McQuaid is at the end of his shift and he still got blasted.

Looks like the Leafs big bad Sheriff is 0-2 against the Bruins this year.

Well, Martin jumped McQuaid because McQuaid was taking liberties on Matthews. That's what you do.

In any case, I'll take Martin's losing record against McQuaid if it means it the Leafs come up with a winning record against the Bruins.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Disagree. Martin had the score card for most of it, but ate one hell of a right and went down hard.

I dont like the tko in the title, it was a fairly even bout where mcQuaid caught martin at the end. I think marting was doing well up to then.

No doubt mcquaid won but martin got his licks in as well and the visor and end of the shift thing pretty mcuh levels the field.

Mar 26, 2010
Id love to say great tilt but too bad McQuaid is such a coward with the visor though. The guys a fighter and wears the visor. Now why would that be?

Kudos to Martin though.

McQuaid is a coward. Big tough guy hiding behind his visor.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Well, Martin jumped McQuaid because McQuaid was taking liberties on Matthews. That's what you do.

In any case, I'll take Martin's losing record against McQuaid if it means it the Leafs come up with a winning record against the Bruins.

Can you explain to me how McQuaid (who just put a visor on within the last month) is a "visor wearing *****" a "rat" a "little *****" - I'll wait. If you can legitimately provide an example to this, i'll accept it.

Also, i don't disagree with you. If a player took liberties with Pastrnak i would like the Bruins to respond the same way Martin did. That said, how can you possibly call McQuaid these things when a. He was at the end of his shift, b. Isn't allowed to drop the lid, c. Took a fight when challenged unlike Martin earlier in the game.

Lets hear it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
McQuaid is a coward. Big tough guy hiding behind his visor.

Martin is a coward. Trying to find McQuaid at the end of his shift because he probably thought "Well, the first two fights i lost, maybe i'll try him when he's tired"

Funny how McQuaid just dropped his gloves just as fast as he dropped Martin. Martin didn't seem so eager earlier this year when Chara came after him, did he?

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
It would have been a different fight without the visor.

Mcquaid can't even lean on the NHL rules as an excuse. He used to play without the visor.

Fighting with visors is lameeeeooooo

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
It would have been a different fight without the visor.

Mcquaid can't even lean on the NHL rules as an excuse. He used to play without the visor.

Fighting with visors is lameeeeooooo

Almost as lame as jumping off the bench to fight a guy at the end of his shift and still getting KTFO.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I think it was the HBO series on the winter classic where some of the B's were mic'd up talking about McQuaid. I think it was ..."Quader hits like a truck" or something along those lines.

He's showing why he had that reputation among his peers.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Martin is a coward. Trying to find McQuaid at the end of his shift because he probably thought "Well, the first two fights i lost, maybe i'll try him when he's tired"

Funny how McQuaid just dropped his gloves just as fast as he dropped Martin. Martin didn't seem so eager earlier this year when Chara came after him, did he?

4-1 lead with under 8 minutes left probably contributed to that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad