McNabb headshot on Kopitar

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Was it a butt end? Almost impossible to tell. The butt end of the stick certainly wasn't sticking out. He also had one hand on his stick... Looked more inadvertent than anything. Kopitar had just buried him with a few crosschecks and had his stick in the small of his back. He was trying to push him off to get up and caught him in the cheek.
This is what gets me about the officiating debate here. The selective outrage. Sure what McNabb did was without cause and pretty stupid. Deserved a penalty too.

Should Haula have chosen a buttend to retaliate against Kopitar? No. But a dirty player is someone who generally does shit like this without cause. Kopitar was crosschecking Haula and wouldn't let him get back up. It's not like we had an effect with no cause. Kopitar wouldn't get off Haula and Haula took a swing in frustration. Sure he shouldn't have used the butt end of his stick but this wasn't some malicious act.

Then people losing their minds that Marchessault "swung his stick at Doughty after Doughty shoved him" which isn't even what happened at all. Doughty punched Marchesseault it the back of the head and then tried to do it again but missed, Marchesseault used the miss to cross check him in the back. Yet all that ever got said in the GDT was how dirty Marchesseault is.

I really don't see how anyone with a straight face can say Doughty just gave Marchesseault a light shove there.

But regardless. There's no fix. There's no conspiracy. The refs have pocketed their whistles on both teams for the most part, all series long. And last night LA had more powerplays (though one was a technical call so it really comes out about even). And if the refs don't get a better handle on things cause "it's the playoffs", game 4 could get really ugly.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Doughty shoved him, not a punch. Please. Marchessault has a rep for being free wheeling with his stick.

I defended the Doughty suspension based on the premise that DOPS would use it as a precedent.

It did not, now I absolutely think Doughty should not have been suspended and this series will forever have an asterisk for me.

Haula could of had a five minute major. Let alone a suspension. That could have had a huge effect on the game.

Phaneuf’s penalty on Karlsson and Brown’s trip after being cross checked were idiotic penalties.

I’m salty as hell. A lot goes into a series loss but reffing should be questioned by Kings fans. It has been a factor on Doughty’s suspension alone.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
This is what gets me about the officiating debate here. The selective outrage. Sure what McNabb did was without cause and pretty stupid. Deserved a penalty too.

Should Haula have chosen a buttend to retaliate against Kopitar? No. But a dirty player is someone who generally does **** like this without cause. Kopitar was crosschecking Haula and wouldn't let him get back up. It's not like we had an effect with no cause. Kopitar wouldn't get off Haula and Haula took a swing in frustration. Sure he shouldn't have used the butt end of his stick but this wasn't some malicious act.

Then people losing their minds that Marchessault "swung his stick at Doughty after Doughty shoved him" which isn't even what happened at all. Doughty punched Marchesseault it the back of the head and then tried to do it again but missed, Marchesseault used the miss to cross check him in the back. Yet all that ever got said in the GDT was how dirty Marchesseault is.

I really don't see how anyone with a straight face can say Doughty just gave Marchesseault a light shove there.

But regardless. There's no fix. There's no conspiracy. The refs have pocketed their whistles on both teams for the most part, all series long. And last night LA had more powerplays (though one was a technical call so it really comes out about even). And if the refs don't get a better handle on things cause "it's the playoffs", game 4 could get really ugly.

It'll get that way if Vegas makes it that way which they have been so far. Who on the Kings is dirty? Doughty is a whiny baby, sure, but he doesn't do anything dirty. Brown? I guess you could say that if you really wanted to but he hasn't done anything all series. Kopitar laying on a guy? Please, that happens all the time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Should Haula have chosen a buttend to retaliate against Kopitar? No. But a dirty player is someone who generally does **** like this without cause. Kopitar was crosschecking Haula and wouldn't let him get back up. It's not like we had an effect with no cause. Kopitar wouldn't get off Haula and Haula took a swing in frustration. Sure he shouldn't have used the butt end of his stick but this wasn't some malicious act.

Haula's not a dirty player, but that's at best a punch to the face after he tried to get him on the other side and couldn't. I also don't know how you can use a crosscheck to even remotely justify it given the crosschecks raining down on people in this series. No one else seems to react with a swing. That's yet another nonhockey play, and one that was thought about enough since he had already tried once and missed. You can see clearly he throws up his left elbow and just can't reach, so he reacts with his right hand instead.

Doughty on Marchessault fine, give him a 4 at most if you think that reckless punch was bad, because it might have been had it connected, but Marchessault literally tries to pitchfork Doughty's head there--that's another nonhockey play that's dirty. If you want to talk about selective outrage, you can't criticise the missed punch and ignore the missed pitchfork. That could have been extremely dirty and dangerous.

Stevens lost his shit and that's hard to make him do--said basically I love hard hockey, but the non hockey plays are garbage. How many times can Kopitar get popped in the jaw? It's ok because it's "not enough force?" They have nothing to do with the play.

It's selective outrage sure, in the sense that I have very little problem with any of the hits, crosschecks, or whatever Vegas is doling out--but i DO have a big problem with the headshots in retaliation that have nothing to do with making a hockey move.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Doughty shoved him, not a punch. Please. Marchessault has a rep for being free wheeling with his stick.

I defended the Doughty suspension based on the premise that DOPS would use it as a precedent.

It did not, now I absolutely think Doughty should not have been suspended and this series will forever have an asterisk for me.

Haula could of had a five minute major. Let alone a suspension. That could have had a huge effect on the game.

Phaneuf’s penalty on Karlsson and Brown’s trip after being cross checked were idiotic penalties.

I’m salty as hell. A lot goes into a series loss but reffing should be questioned by Kings fans. It has been a factor on Doughty’s suspension alone.
A shove with his fist to the back of the head and then another attempt at a "shove"?

Okay then.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Haula's not a dirty player, but that's at best a punch to the face after he tried to get him on the other side and couldn't. I also don't know how you can use a crosscheck to even remotely justify it given the crosschecks raining down on people in this series. No one else seems to react with a swing. That's yet another nonhockey play, and one that was thought about enough since he had already tried once and missed. You can see clearly he throws up his left elbow and just can't reach, so he reacts with his right hand instead.

Doughty on Marchessault fine, give him a 4 at most if you think that reckless punch was bad, because it might have been had it connected, but Marchessault literally tries to pitchfork Doughty's head there--that's another nonhockey play that's dirty. If you want to talk about selective outrage, you can't criticise the missed punch and ignore the missed pitchfork. That could have been extremely dirty and dangerous.

Stevens lost his **** and that's hard to make him do--said basically I love hard hockey, but the non hockey plays are garbage. How many times can Kopitar get popped in the jaw? It's ok because it's "not enough force?" They have nothing to do with the play.

It's selective outrage sure, in the sense that I have very little problem with any of the hits, crosschecks, or whatever Vegas is doling out--but i DO have a big problem with the headshots in retaliation that have nothing to do with making a hockey move.

Just because something happens often doesn't make it a hockey move. Laying on top of a guy, preventing his movement, and cross checking the guy is gonna frustrate. I don't agree with the response and I agree it was uncalled for but it wasn't for no reason.

And yeah I suppose after looking at it some more, he did swing the stick around. I'm not okay with that either; But I'm equally not okay with pretending a clear punch and then an attempt to throw another one was a "shove". That's what I mean by selective outrage. I'm not happy with how Marchessault decided to respond in the slightest but there was a clear cause. Doughty was trying to antagonize and he succeeded. Without the punch Marchessault never does that.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Please, you make it sound like it Doughty cold cocked him bare knuckle. I still say Doughty is pushing more than punching. I will give you it’s from behind and to the head. I’m not even sure Doughy knows how to throw a punch.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Lol wow

LA has been out chanced in both the games Doughty played in FYI

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Kings had more shots and hits in game 3 than Vegas, missed two gimme goals, and yes I damn well believe Doughty’s absence effected game 2.

Whose fault is that?

I never said anything about game 2.

But scoring chances were 27-23 in favor of Vegas on the road WITH DOUGHTY in the lineup last night. That tells me something. Game 1 was even more lopsided I believe

Vegas has just been better. If not for Quick the goal differential in this series is lopsided

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Oh noes, 4 more chances.

Your whole point is to insinuate that Doughty’s effect is negligible.

I don’t care what stats you use to break it down. How many plays did Doughty break up? How quickly did he move it out of the dzone? Doughty’s effect on a game isn’t measured in scoring chances alone.

Reactions: Kylo Ren

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Lmao these ducks fans. Make Doughty sound like a big bad guy who didn't show up. He's a whiner for sure, like Crosby and Malkin. If you didn't see how his transition game helped the kings or how he breaks plays that's you in denial.

Reactions: LAKings88

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
No dog in this fight.

He sure looks like he lifts his shoulder up. I don't see any excuse of why he would do that.
It looks to me like Kopitar has no idea where he's skating and is about to crash into McNabb. McNabb lifts his arm to brace for impact. Kopitar doesn't seen that and skates into the arm.

Meh. Maybe I'd give interference but I doubt even that, barring a different angle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad