McNabb headshot on Kopitar

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
When McNabb was on the Kings this was just a "good strong hockey play".

Shoe on the other foot...

But yes, that was dirty as heck and totally unnecessary. But wether or not stuff this far from the play gets punished generally comes down to the amount of damage done. Here there doesn't seem to be much/any?

Perhaps a fine.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
To me, I can defend the vicious Matt Cooke hit or Drew Doughty's borderline hit before I can defend this, because those were at least maybe hockey plays gone wrong.

This is just intentionally garbage. I feel like recently on these boards, people have just started saying every hit is clean. Kadri's is the only one where I've really seen an overwhelming majority of neutral fans call it dirty.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
So if Kopitar flopped down and Stevens cried to the media, would the same people who wanted enforcement for Doughtys weak hit be consistent here ? I really doubt it.

Again, if the league suspended Doughty for a weak hit, then how is this weak headshot not suspendable?

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
This is not worth getting upset over anything more than a 2 minute penalty.(Which should have been called). It is certainly not suspension worthy

At the non-speed they were moving, it was a nudge closer to interference than anything.

Was it a headshot? From the one angle I saw yes. But headshot discipline are subjective to the speed and force in which contact is made. This was basically the equivalent of giving him a pie face in terms of contact

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Give him 2 minutes for roughing/interference and that's that. There's close to no velocity on that "hit".

I feel like that nudge created less force towards Kopitars head than a straight on punch would.

Reactions: egelband

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
To me, I can defend the vicious Matt Cooke hit or Drew Doughty's borderline hit before I can defend this, because those were at least maybe hockey plays gone wrong.

This is just intentionally garbage. I feel like recently on these boards, people have just started saying every hit is clean. Kadri's is the only one where I've really seen an overwhelming majority of neutral fans call it dirty.

Lol at Defending Cooke. He was the definition of predatory hits and dirty plays

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd need to see another angle or something a bit more close up before I would call it suspension worthy. That's mainly because I can't really tell if he elbowed him directly to the face or if it was more a shoulder hit that rode up and Kopitar basically reacted to not expecting it. ( not saying he sold it, saying it is a natural reaction )

That said it should have definitely been 2 minutes for interference.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think many fans get caught up in semantics. It was a headshot, indeed. But it wasn’t a predatory dangerous one... should have been a minor penalty. But it’s not like the one where a player targets another player - usually tied-up with yet another player already - from off-in-the-distance and blows him up. Those ones aren’t hockey plays, can really cause long term brain injury, and have to be totally removed.
“Rough stuff” like in the OP is not good but also not a huge worry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I think many fans get caught up in semantics. It was a headshot, indeed. But it wasn’t a predatory dangerous one. It was dick-y for sure. And should have been a minor penalty. But it’s not like the one where a player targets another player - usually tied-up with yet another player already - from off-in-the-distance and blows him up. Those ones aren’t hockey plays, can really cause long term brain injury, and have to be totally removed.
“Rough stuff” like in the OP is not good but also not a huge worry.

How soon some of us for get Crosby and Steckel. That was far more accidental as well.

So the question becomes is an intentional elbow to the head predatory? We've see what can be dangerous.

Oh, and I'll answer that one as well. The Pronger elbow and suspension says yes.

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Yes, we get it, Vegas beat LA so the NHL is a bunch of meanies. Try getting more than six SOG a period and maybe you will win a game this series.

I think it more has to do with the soft Doughty suspension and the fact that everyone here is going to spend the entire postseason complaing about every hit.

But yes, hit in the OP is an even bigger joke than usual.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Looked like Kopitar just skated right into him. McNabb obviously was defending himself. Just a hockey play, I don' think Kopitar deserved a penalty for it.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Looking at this on a small area of my laptop I was sure that this was a head shot but then I enlarged the viewing area and went through it as close to frame by frame as I could and I don't think this is anything, not even a 2 minute penalty.

Having said that, I have a terrible track record trying to predict whether a player gets disciplined or not.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Definitely a penalty, but people also get hit harder in the head after whistles fairly regularly. This reminds me of the type of contact that any player within 5 feet of the goalie take against some teams.

This shouldn't be a suspension, but it should be penalized every single time. The "you're close to my goalie so I am going to hit you in the face after the whistle" plays should be penalized every single time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->