McMullet's April 2020 Draft Rankings | Top-50 With Write-Ups

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Askarov at 22? Most have him higher. Schneider being third year junior does it bother you? I have him in early 20s. Villeneuve at 43 is a solid pick. He could be more rounded than Poirier. Poirier is better goal scorer, that usually gives them the edge turning pro, but his defense?

I agree about Villeneuve who ever gets him in the second round + has a steal. IMO he’s much better than Poirier and apparently the league agrees as Villeneuve is a finalist for D of the year in the Q.

Reactions: Dominance

Raskolnikow

Jun 19, 2018
Järventie is really intriguing, one of the youngest players in the draft, lots of raw talent. He obviously has a knack for scoring and his skating is actually quite impressive. But can someone enlighten us about the level of the league he plays in?

Maybe the Habs can snag him with one of their second rounders. They seem to like finns in round 2, drafting Lehkonen and Ylönen in the past years.

Reactions: Old Drunk Guy

Raskolnikow

Jun 19, 2018
I've watched some more of Mavrik Bourque the past couple days and decided to move him up a couple spots to the top of the tier, #15. His improvement over the past year — especially when it comes to passing and skating — is remarkable and bodes well for the future. Stylistically, he reminds me somewhat of a mini-Draisaitl.

Yeah, he made some huge strides this year, showing great playmaking ability and more separation speed. He was not that committed to defensive work, but certainly has the tools to be a two-way player with his smarts.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I never seen Roby Jarventi play. I see in the stats he played 5 games in SM-Liiga at 17. Something I look for. 36 goals is impressive at Mestis also. How is his skating? At 6'2 he could play over 200lbs. That size and goal scoring, if he has speed he should make it. Maybe explode?
Järventie is really intriguing, one of the youngest players in the draft, lots of raw talent. He obviously has a knack for scoring and his skating is actually quite impressive. But can someone enlighten us about the level of the league he plays in?

Jarventie's skating is pretty impressive for a guy his size. Inconsistency and lack of defensive commitment are the two biggest issues I have with him. I'd compare him to Raphael Lavoie last year. Not quite the same level of prospect, but also a lot younger for his draft.

As for the level of the league he plays in, the Mestis is the 2nd highest men's league in Finland. I don't know much about the level of hockey there but he is 7th in points per game (among players that played over 20 games) playing against guys much older than him, which is very impressive.

Bourque smart 2 way player, could be another Bergeron.
Yeah, he made some huge strides this year, showing great playmaking ability and more separation speed. He was not that committed to defensive work, but certainly has the tools to be a two-way player with his smarts.

I agree with this. He doesn't always seem that committed to defensive play but he can be a dominant defensive player when he wants to be. He has very high hockey IQ and has had flashes of great defensive play this year, so I think he can improve his consistency in this area over time.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
This is a good list, congrats and thank you!
I often come back to it for reference.
Like others I disagree on some assessments but overall much, much less than many other lists.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Maybe the Habs can snag him with one of their second rounders. They seem to like finns in round 2, drafting Lehkonen and Ylönen in the past years.
Cases like his it boils down to if your coaches think they can fix his weaknesses. Also, how hard will he work. Two unknowns for me?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree about Villeneuve who ever gets him in the second round + has a steal. IMO he’s much better than Poirier and apparently the league agrees as Villeneuve is a finalist for D of the year in the Q.

Is it that hard to be better than Poirier right now? He’s pretty bad defensively. He gives back what he creates offensively. Why Poirier will go higher and should go higher than Villeneuve is that enough teams see the obvious offensive potential and think his defensive game is fixable.

Villeneuve might be more of a good two way guy now and that probably results in being a better QMJHL player, but unless teams think Villeneuve has much in his game that projects to the NHL game, there’s a good chance he doesn’t have high potential as he moves up the leagues ladder. He might stall out as a good AHL defenseman that doesn’t have any calling card that keeps him in the NHL. There’s no guarantee that Poirier will improve and some teams probably don’t think he will, but enough do that he’ll be picked high.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I edited my rankings again, moved Mercer up (happy now, @Kevin Musto? :)) and added Bordeleau and Gushchin. I also changed up the tiering slightly so that there is now one large tier ranging from 10 to 25.

These are likely my final rankings now.
haha much better :D

I do tend to prefer your rankings to other posters here. I like that you're not afraid to rank players outside of the consensus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->