24. Zion Nybeck
25. Braden Schneider
26. Kaiden Guhle
27. Lukas Reichel
28. Emil Andrae
29. Michael Benning
30. Lucas Cormier
31. Jake Neighbours

Thoughts? I'd love to hear any questions or feedback.

Last edited:

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Great list and thanks for posting.

What caught my eye....

1. Michael Benning at 29 is the obvious one to stick out for me.
2. Justin Barron falling out of 1st round would be another
3. The positional distribution (one d-man in top 15 picks) would be unusual

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I think your Tiers 1 + 2 are bang on, which is exciting as a Sens fan.

I am absolutely torn about having to chose between anyone 1-9, and I think it's simply because I havent personally been able to see Stutzle, Raymond, Holtz, Lundell.
But from what I have seen from Byfield, Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti I don't think we can go wrong with the 2 picks.

Beyond that, I think Quinn is a little high (though it wouldnt surprise me if someone took a liking to him based on his scoring prowess) and Sanderson a little low.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Only one Dman in the top 18, and two in the top 20? Not going to happen. Move Schneider, and maybe Guhle up to somewhere in the teens. Many NHL GM's are still looking for size in their dmen, and those two have it.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The positional distribution (one d-man in top 15 picks) would be unusual

Only one Dman in the top 18, and two in the top 20? Not going to happen. Move Schneider, and maybe Guhle up to somewhere in the teens. Many NHL GM's are still looking for size in their dmen, and those two have it.

tbf it’s a ranking and not a mock.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
People has similar rankings last year, with Byram being the only top 13-15 pick. Next thing you know, Seider, Broberg, Soderstrom, and York are taken, as well as Byram. Look up past drafts, and show me one time there has only been one Dman in the top 15, let alone top 18. You won't find it.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think everyone is sleeping on Carter Savoie.
I'm a pretty big fan of Savoie. He's got outstanding vision and is underrated because of the league he plays in.

He just missed the cut for me, along with Tyson Foerster and JJ Peterka.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I just don’t see how Lundell is any higher than 20, he’s just not a top 6F and doesn’t flash high end skill.
He's more likely to be picked in the top-5 than after 20. He doesn't play a flashy game — in part due to playing against men — but you don't get 0.65 ppg in the Liiga without skill. He's very solid defensively and has a high floor.

I actually think I have him ranked lower than most.

Reactions: bert

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Beyond that, I think Quinn is a little high (though it wouldnt surprise me if someone took a liking to him based on his scoring prowess) and Sanderson a little low.
Jack Quinn is one of my favourite players in the draft. His skill and shot are both near the top of the draft. I think he gets too much flak for being a late birthday and playing on the Ottawa 67s, one of the best teams in the CHL. The fact of the matter is that his development curve has been nothing short of incredible, and there's no reason why he won't continue to improve.

I'm not sure what I'm missing with Sanderson. He's effective offensively but his strong suit in his own end. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sure why he's consistently ranked well above similar defensive defensemen in Guhle and Schneider.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Great list and thanks for posting.

What caught my eye....

1. Michael Benning at 29 is the obvious one to stick out for me.
2. Justin Barron falling out of 1st round would be another
3. The positional distribution (one d-man in top 15 picks) would be unusual

People has similar rankings last year, with Byram being the only top 13-15 pick. Next thing you know, Seider, Broberg, Soderstrom, and York are taken, as well as Byram. Look up past drafts, and show me one time there has only been one Dman in the top 15, let alone top 18. You won't find it.
This is a ranking, not a mock draft. I only have Drysdale ranked in the top-15 for defensemen, but I fully expect more teams to pick D in that range. If I had to guess, I'd say Sanderson and Wallinder get picked in the top-15 in addition to Drysdale.

Regarding Benning and Barron: Michael Benning could be a steal for whoever picks him. His numbers are not far off from Makar at the same age, he's super dynamic, and not bad in his own end. Players from Canadian Junior A leagues tend to get overlooked or underrated, but Makar (and Newhook's progress this year) could change that. Justin Barron is a guy that I was a fan of last year, but I just don't see him getting picked in the 1st round with the season he's had, especially as a late birthday.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
He's more likely to be picked in the top-5 than after 20. He doesn't play a flashy game — in part due to playing against men — but you don't get 0.65 ppg in the Liiga without skill. He's very solid defensively and has a high floor.

I actually think I have him ranked lower than most.

You get a .65ppg in Liiga when you get 2nd line minutes and PP time(more than 1/2 his goals on the PP.) He doesn’t play a flashy game because he doesn’t have one. I’ve seen him 2x this week and I just don’t see top 6 potential. His defensive awareness gets him a seat at the table, but I never saw anything where he could even take a shift over.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
You are too low on him.
My opinion is my opinion. Late birthday, mediocre production in a mediocre league, the aging curves people are expecting improvements on aren’t really there has he’s already got proper mass for his height. He’s had good, not great scoring in his age cohort and that usually doesn’t translate as you get into a deeper pool.

If you think a bottom 6 C is a top 10 pick, bully for you. It takes a lot more projection than I’m comfortable with than compared to someone like Holtz.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
My opinion is my opinion. Late birthday, mediocre production in a mediocre league, the aging curves people are expecting improvements on aren’t really there has he’s already got proper mass for his height. He’s had good, not great scoring in his age cohort and that usually doesn’t translate as you get into a deeper pool.

If you think a bottom 6 C is a top 10 pick, bully for you. It takes a lot more projection than I’m comfortable with than compared to someone like Holtz.
damn, if Liiga is mediocre league for prospects would love to see a good one

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Thoughts on Marat Khusnutdinov? Do you see Mysak with the potential to keep rising on your board (I'm very high on him personally) especially with his stellar form in Hamilton? What do you personally like a lot about Kaiden Guhle?

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
1. Alexis Lafreniere

2. Quinton Byfield
3. Tim Stutzle
4. Marco Rossi
5. Jamie Drysdale
6. Lucas Raymond
7. Cole Perfetti
8. Alexander Holtz
9. Anton Lundell

10. Jack Quinn
11. Connor Zary
12. Yaroslav Askarov
13. Noel Gunler
14. Dawson Mercer
15. Jan Mysak
16. William Wallinder
Amazing ranking imo, pretty much spot on

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Separated into tiers:

1. Alexis Lafreniere

2. Quinton Byfield
3. Tim Stutzle
4. Marco Rossi
5. Jamie Drysdale
6. Lucas Raymond
7. Cole Perfetti
8. Alexander Holtz
9. Anton Lundell

10. Jack Quinn
11. Connor Zary
12. Yaroslav Askarov
13. Noel Gunler
14. Dawson Mercer
15. Jan Mysak
16. William Wallinder

17. Seth Jarvis
18. Rodion Amirov
19. Jake Sanderson
20. Dylan Holloway
21. Jacob Perrault
22. Helge Grans

23. Hendrix Lapierre
24. Zion Nybeck
25. Braeden Schneider
26. Kaiden Guhle
27. Lukas Reichel
28. Emil Andrae
29. Michael Benning
30. Lucas Cormier
31. Jake Neighbours

Thoughts? I'd love to hear any questions or feedback.

Nice list, Rossi, Quinn, Mercer too high, Sanderson, Holloway, Guhle too low.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
damn, if Liiga is mediocre league for prospects would love to see a good one

I'm pretty sure Liiga recently promoted 3 teams from Mestis since 2013 and has seen a drop in overall strength and a rise in young kids coming in and scoring but not really living up to that potential in the NHL. Of course there are guys like Heiskanen, Laine and Rantanen but it seems like kids from Liiga recently are having a hard time adapting to the NHL more often then not.

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016
You get a .65ppg in Liiga when you get 2nd line minutes and PP time(more than 1/2 his goals on the PP.) He doesn’t play a flashy game because he doesn’t have one. I’ve seen him 2x this week and I just don’t see top 6 potential. His defensive awareness gets him a seat at the table, but I never saw anything where he could even take a shift over.

Couldn’t disagree more. He’s getting minutes and pp time and capitalizing as 17 year old and the reason he gets those minutes is because he’s very solid defensively. If you’re looking for flash watch Perfetti if your looking for a solid two way center lundell is tops in this draft class.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I just don’t see how Lundell is any higher than 20, he’s just not a top 6F and doesn’t flash high end skill.
Mikko Koivu was drafted at #6. And Lundell is so, so much better than him offensively for an age.

I also don't know why would you not project him as a top-6 forward. Not an offensive dynamo/superstar - sure, but you are pretty solid NHL forward if you average 50 points per season.

Furthermore, not everyone is aiming to get Patrick Kane because at the end of the day, Joe Pavelski is as good.

Reactions: wetcoast

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I have Holloway much higher, kid has been outstanding lately, so smooth and powerful, I have him and Jack Quinn around 10...

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Mikko Koivu was drafted at #6. And Lundell is so, so much better than him offensively for an age.

I also don't know why would you not project him as a top-6 forward. Not an offensive dynamo/superstar - sure, but you are pretty solid NHL forward if you average 50 points per season.

Furthermore, not everyone is aiming to get Patrick Kane because at the end of the day, Joe Pavelski is as good.

Hard to compare those eras. And Koivu was a heavy late bloomer. I'd be surprised if Lundell becomes that good at both ends of the ice.

Furthermore Pavelski is a great player but one has to wonder where he would be without Thornton feeding him sweet dishes for most of his career. Arguably the best playmaker of his generation. Still likely a 15-25 goal scorer but unlikely he reaches the heights he did without him.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Couldn’t disagree more. He’s getting minutes and pp time and capitalizing as 17 year old and the reason he gets those minutes is because he’s very solid defensively. If you’re looking for flash watch Perfetti if your looking for a solid two way center lundell is tops in this draft class.

We've seen this song and dance before. So did Armia, Kotkaniemi, Vesalainen, Saarela, Lehkonen, Puljujarvi, Kupari, and Kakko. Liiga seems to be so watered down lately that any solid 17/18 year old forward can score if given the minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->