News Article: Mclellan-set-to-become-kings-head-coach

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I like Cagullia, one of my favourite players. But he wound up sitting or being out of the lineup by injury just as many games he played.

As for Strome, he contributed a goal and an assist in 18 games. What we got was shyte for him, but he was doing very little here in taking the scoring heat off the big boys. And now, because he went on a tear in New York, people are up in arms, thinking he would have done that here. Very unlikely, given the gong show that this place was. Sometimes a change of scenery has that affect on players. Hemay have just continued to stagnate here, but we'll never know. To say we'd be in a lot better shape with both of them is stretching it. They hardly moved the needle while they were here.

This goes on with a few people who get traded. I’m willing to bet the fans that wanted them traded are the first ones complaining when they succeed at another team. Hindsight is a great thing when you are an armchair GM.
I strongly think a new GM that comes in here has to fire every person and install a new culture . I’m saying Hunter GM and MacCrimmon POHO

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Big mistake Todd, assuming Buffalo was on the table.
I bet he's fired in 2 years, not because he sucks but because that team needs work.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He will improve the kings considering that they had Desjardins. I still think hes a completely average coach. I think Buffalo dodged a bullet honestly. Kings are a better fit for McLellan.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Better situation for him. More good older vets to run into the ground.

Katz is happy saving some money.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't get why they give him a 5x5 contract. Then again AV got the exact samething.

Just seems odd when you have Trotz getting 1mil less and he was the one coach that left on a high note.

Quennville is getting 5.25, but he's a lot more proven than AV and TM.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I don't get why they give him a 5x5 contract. Then again AV got the exact samething.

Just seems odd when you have Trotz getting 1mil less and he was the one coach that left on a high note.

Quennville is getting 5.25, but he's a lot more proven than AV and TM.

Supply and demand.

"Give me a 5 year contract or I'll go to Buffalo instead."

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
F'in NHL. We should get a pick back for this just as we gave one up for the exact same thing. But of course the rules changes right after we gave up the pick and now we'll get nothing. Joke of a league.

Yep. They used ridiculous rules (can’t sign a fired coach, without giving up a pick) so they could say “see. We told you it was a bad idea” and remove it instead of fixing the problem.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't know how any GM of a retooling/rebuilding team looks at McLellan and thinks he's a good fit.

The Oilers didn't have a single prospect develop beyond the ability to play spot duty on the 4th line/3rd pairing and basically every player not named McDavid/Drai/Nurse got progressively worse under him.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I don't know how any GM of a retooling/rebuilding team looks at McLellan and thinks he's a good fit.

The Oilers didn't have a single prospect develop beyond the ability to play spot duty on the 4th line/3rd pairing and basically every player not named McDavid/Drai/Nurse got progressively worse under him.

The thing about the Kings is that I'm not sure the management thinks they're rebuilding.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I bet he's fired in 2 years, not because he sucks but because that team needs work.
Indications were Buffalo was interviewing coaching candidates, but weren't willing to commit to Todd without interviewing other guys they have their eye on and Kings were willing to do a deal ASAP.

Maroon, Letestu, Davidson, and Klefbom each had the best seasons of their career with him and RNH was turning the corner back to being an offensive threat of note while not sacrificing too much defensively. McLellan's resume is strong with regards to developing young guys between his time in the WHL, AHL, and San Jose; our guys not developing is likely more of an indication of the lack of quality prospects we had. McLellan's biggest failure was not being able to get Justin Schultz back on track and his inability to not develop talented players with highly suspect hockey IQ (Yakupov, Pulju).

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Does it ever. They have made inexplicable decisions now for years. So many players they have lost. Recently the Kings AHL affiliate, the Monarchs won the Calder cup. They had some reasonable stocked players there. Nick Shore, Nik Dowd, Adrian Kempe, Forbert, Kevin Gravel. Only Kempe is left from that.

Additionally they've bled D like McNabb, Fantenberg, Voynov, Muzzin. Instead of those guys they overpay tired old Phaneuf.

Through the years lost helpful players like Williams, Richards, Stoll.

Since the last cup so many bad player management decisions. They've basically folded what they had. In 2015 it was possible to reload that club. Now its impossible and they've just been deep sixing the lineup.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know that Buffalo with all those young kids is a better place for Todd who likes to lean on vets.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Indications were Buffalo was interviewing coaching candidates, but weren't willing to commit to Todd without interviewing other guys they have their eye on and Kings were willing to do a deal ASAP.

Maroon, Letestu, Davidson, and Klefbom each had the best seasons of their career with him and RNH was turning the corner back to being an offensive threat of note while not sacrificing too much defensively. McLellan's resume is strong with regards to developing young guys between his time in the WHL, AHL, and San Jose; our guys not developing is likely more of an indication of the lack of quality prospects we had. McLellan's biggest failure was not being able to get Justin Schultz back on track and his inability to not develop talented players with highly suspect hockey IQ (Yakupov, Pulju).

Maroon was all McDavid. Letestu was all McDavid on the PP. Davidson played 30 good games. Klefbom had a career year and had steadily been worse since. RNH had by far the worst seasons of his career under McLellan.

No one on the NHL roster or in the pipeline actually developed(as in got better and stayed at that level) under McLellan other than the players who were good enough to do so on their own.

Same thing happened in San Jose. It was a graveyard for young players outside their top guys(Couture/Vlasic).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Actually, they got worse under Hitchcock.

Larsson, Reider and Khaira to name a few.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Actually, they got worse under Hitchcock.

Larsson, Reider and Khaira to name a few.

Sure, lots of guys got worse under Hitch too, but Larsson and Khaira did the same as others under McLellan. Had some success then slowly and surely got worse with no signs of getting better.

For Rieder, I'm not sure he was ever good enough to get worse haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->