Confirmed with Link: McKeown Re-signed, then loaned to Skelleftea AIK (SHL)

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I love almost everything about how the Canes are positioned (young roster, pipeline, coaching, for the most part the performance of The Committee) but even more so than goaltending, one big outstanding question for me is how they develop young players as they get close to the NHL level, especially young defenders. McKeown and Bean have barely gotten a sniff of the NHL, and am I wrong in the feeling that much of Fleury's opportunity until late last season came about because of injuries? (actual question, not a statement)

I do note that our D depth has a lot to do with it, and the fact that we've been battling just to get into the playoffs hasn't left much room for inexperience at the NHL level. Will be interesting to see how our development strategy changes when we're in a more comfortable position with regard to the playoffs.

Yup, short-term until the AHL season starts. I will say that if the Canes truly didn't think McKeown had a potential future with us in some capacity (even as a #7 or #8D), they wouldn't keep giving him QOs. Same with guys like Forsling, Smallman, and Bishop.

Or maybe that we might still extract some value from him somewhere down the line, even if it's just a late round draft pick?

I still don’t get how this guy didn’t turn out to be an NHL’er. He seems to have all the tools.

I'm also confused about McKeown. Wish we could get an honest, in depth report from someone close to the Checkers who's seen most of his play.

At the same time, though, clearly the Canes see something if he keeps getting QOs and is now getting a nice six-figure AHL salary. If they truly thought that he would be nothing more than AHL fodder, they'd non-tender him and let him go to UFA instead of doing that. Instead they're giving him the Nick Jensen treatment, who lingered around the Red Wings system until he was 27, when he finally became an NHLer.

$100k at the AHL level doesn't seem like that big a give. Forsling is getting $250k, Joakim Ryan $150k, and Max McCormick $125k. Relatively cheap lottery ticket given we still have no idea how he'll do at the NHL level?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad