Proposal: McKenzie's list is out - AZ and MTL swap

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
lol my god what a homer post.

You do realize it's the Habs that have zero leverage, everyone knows they desperately need a C. Heck your GM's job is probably on the line (although it should have been years ago), Bergevin is the one under pressure to land a C.

Sens/Arz have no reason to pay your ridiculous price. They'll still get the player the winger/dman they want regardless, if not there will be several similar players available.

Habs will select Kotka at 3 because no one with a pick that has good odds at selecting him will give up anything of value. Then we'll get the usual bs story about how Bergevin ranked him as the best player at the draft available blah blah

Oh God What a troll post. We all know thet the team with the 3rd OA pick has the leverage. It was already said that the Habs were going to take the BPA and if that is Zadina than we should draft him. If the management thinks it Kotka than they will have a guarantee that they get him if they drop. If Arz has a liking for Zadina than the balls in their court to offer the Habs something of value so they can get the player they want.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not a chance.

If I'm Chayka, I just tell Bergevin that my top five is 1. Dahlin, 2. Svechnikov 3. Zadina 4. Kotkaniemi 5. Tkachuk. Now Bergevin knows he's can't trade to 6th or 7th or 8th and expect Kotkaniemi to be there. Odds are Arizona is taking him 5th, so that's as low as Montreal can go.

Ottawa has no reason to reach for a center at 4th overall. They've got great center prospects. If Arizona takes Zadina 3rd, Kotkaniemi will almost certainly be there at 5th.

In this scenario, Montreal has two options: 1) Pick Kotkaniemi 3rd, or 2) Take whatever they can get from Arizona to move to 5th

In the interest of fairness and good faith, I might offer pick 55 if I'm Chayka. Montreal gets their guy at 5th and Bergevin gets a free 2nd rounder out of it. He has no reason not to accept a 3rd rounder, but we let him save some face by at least getting a 2nd. We get Zadina.
But what if M.B decides to take Zadina. I guess that screws the Yotes plans because the Sens will take Tkachuk leaving Kotkaniemi in which is no need for Yotes. If you really want a player than you better be willing to pony up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We need everything. Our team sucks. We need Zadina and we need Kotkaniemi. We need Hughes and Bouchard, too.
Most of all Tkachuk. We need sandpaper to stick up for our soft a-- team.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I don't like it. If you want Kotkaniemi, you select him. I wouldn't give Ottawa a chance to steal "our guy".

Ottawa's got Logan Brown and Colin White who can both play center ice and could very well be moving out both their top wingers. I just don't see it

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Ottawa's got Logan Brown and Colin White who can both play center ice and could very well be moving out both their top wingers. I just don't see it

Duchene is going to be traded at some point as he is not going to be down with a rebuild.
Brown is a long term project - who may or may not pan out, and we won’t know that for a couple/few more years.
White has not shown yet to be capable of a top 2 Center role and it seems he’s going to be a winger.
That leaves our Center depth as:

Pageau
?

I would have no problem with Ottawa taking the big Finn down the middle, we have lots of wingers on the team and coming up.
Ryan, Stone, Formenton, Batherson, White, (I assume Hoffman will be traded at some point so not including him. )

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Duchene is going to be traded at some point as he is not going to be down with a rebuild.
Brown is a long term project - who may or may not pan out, and we won’t know that for a couple/few more years.
White has not shown yet to be capable of a top 2 Center role and it seems he’s going to be a winger.
That leaves our Center depth as:

Pageau
?

I would have no problem with Ottawa taking the big Finn down the middle, we have lots of wingers on the team and coming up.
Ryan, Stone, Formenton, Batherson, White, (I assume Hoffman will be traded at some point so not including him. )

I guess my point isn't so much that Ottawa wouldn't want a center, but that they'll take the BPA no matter what with how many holes they currently have and how many more are sure to open with trades.

I just can't see them choosing Kotkaniemi over any of Zadina, Tkachuk or Dobson

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I guess my point isn't so much that Ottawa wouldn't want a center, but that they'll take the BPA no matter what with how many holes they currently have and how many more are sure to open with trades.

I just can't see them choosing Kotkaniemi over any of Zadina, Tkachuk or Dobson

That’s totally fair

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I don't like it. If you want Kotkaniemi, you select him. I wouldn't give Ottawa a chance to steal "our guy".

Especially with everybody in the world knowing you're taking Kotkaniemi at 5. If Detroit, NYR, Chi, etc, want to move up to 4, the Habs are then stuck without their guy.

It would be a new all time low if someone took him at 4 and Bergevin is sitting at 5 with his mouth hanging open. Just take the kid if you want him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The risk isn't worth a 5th, we'll just take Kotka #3 and that'll be it.
Could MB make an agreement with Arizona to take Zadina then as soon as the Coyotes are up at 5 (I'm sure Ottawa would select Dobson) Montreal trades Zadina to the Coyotes for number 5 (Kotkaniemi) and 55 Overall?
MB has to get some value if he's not taking Zadina at 3. This way Montreal would have 5 second rounders at the very least. There will be some very good players there or they could package 2 or 3 of them to get back into the first round?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Especially with everybody in the world knowing you're taking Kotkaniemi at 5. If Detroit, NYR, Chi, etc, want to move up to 4, the Habs are then stuck without their guy.

It would be a new all time low if someone took him at 4 and Bergevin is sitting at 5 with his mouth hanging open. Just take the kid if you want him.
I don't see any of those trading up to 4 to get Kotkaniemi. Especially not NYR or Detroit.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Could MB make an agreement with Arizona to take Zadina then as soon as the Coyotes are up at 5 (I'm sure Ottawa would select Dobson) Montreal trades Zadina to the Coyotes for number 5 (Kotkaniemi) and 55 Overall?
MB has to get some value if he's not taking Zadina at 3. This way Montreal would have 5 second rounders at the very least. There will be some very good players there or they could package 2 or 3 of them to get back into the first round?

I don't think MB is agile enough to turn any amount of second rounders into a significant 1st round pick, not just some late shenanigan. It's just not worth it. We've been striking out on developing centers for too long. They have to bite the bullet or the bullet will bite them.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I don't see any of those trading up to 4 to get Kotkaniemi. Especially not NYR or Detroit.

You never know. Detroit was the first top 10 team linked to him a month or so ago. With the great seasons Hronek and Cholowski had on D last year, you just dont know what they're thinking long term. If Quinn (as an example) goes 3/4 and they aren't as high on the other D, who knows. Everything says D but you can never have enough quality players up the middle either. If you're Montreal, you cant take that chance if that's the guy you want.

Cant see them taking a chance if that's the player they really want... and we all know they need Cs...

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I don't think MB is agile enough to turn any amount of second rounders into a significant 1st round pick, not just some late shenanigan. It's just not worth it. We've been striking out on developing centers for too long. They have to bite the bullet or the bullet will bite them.

At this point, I'm not even sure MB should trust himself. Just take the kid..

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Arizona has Kotkaniemi rated 5th or later, then just letting Montreal take him moves the Coyotes up one slot for free. That’s a good bargain. At that point it’s also a 50/50 proposition that we get our 3rd ranked guy. Best case scenario is we get #3 for free. Worst case is we get #4 for free. Assuming Montreal takes Kotkaniemi and we have him ranked 5th or later. Great time to stay put if you’re Arizona.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
or this means the habs take thachuk...

why not try to get another asset like an extra pick, then trade down just 2 and take the player you want anyways? guaranteed that the Sens, if they keep their pick, will NOT pass on Zadina, especially with Brown and White at center coming down the pipe! so if this were to happen like Bob thinks it might, i'd be all for the Habs doing this!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, it would be cool to see a 2nd generation Coyote!

AZ fans: if the idea is that the Coyotes don't want Kotkaniemi and would prefer Zadina/Tkachuk, who do you think they pick if Zadina/Tkachuk go #3 and #4? I'm very curious.
AZ will take Kotkaniemi if he's there at 5.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

I think this is something to really keep an eye on. If Zadina is gone, I suspect Ottawa will look long and hard at Kotkaniemi. I think Zadina is our #3 guy and then Bouchard, Dobson, Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk are all strong possibilities if he is gone.

I would actually say there is almost zero chance that we move out both of our top wingers, unless you are referring to Hoffman and Ryan/Dzingel. That said, Sens won't draft for need. Sens will take BPA.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
If they’re so closely ranked there’s no point swapping down. Just take your guy.

Unless The Habs have 2-3 guys they like and they can trade down to 5-6-7 and get one of those guys for sure and an extra asset or 2.

But i do agree this is getting silly...I want them to take the center and be done wtih it.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad