Rumor: McKenzie: TOR Finalist for Michigan St F Taro Hirose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Kyle Dubas joined the Leafs organization in July 2014.

Yanni Gourde signed his first NHL contract in March 2014.

Not sure you're right on this one...
I believe I heard Dubas tried to acquire Gourde via trade when he was in the AHL and Dubas was the GM of the Marlies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm surprised at this because the Leafs forward depth is ridiculous Hirose would not get a real opportunity here, he can't there are guys on the Marlies good enough for the NHL but there is no open spot, especially on the wing, if there was Bracco would be in the NHL now but he's not because there is no room, it's the same reason Grunstrom got traded.

Hirose would get buried here.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
It means the Marlies can use Timashov as a trade chip, since his value is at an all-time high.
Exactly my thinking buy low (free also works) and sell high.

Tima can easily be replaced by this Kariya clone so can effectively reduce the trade price of the coveted top 4 RHD we need.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I'm surprised at this because the Leafs forward depth is ridiculous Hirose would not get a real opportunity here, he can't there are guys on the Marlies good enough for the NHL but there is no open spot, especially on the wing, if there was Bracco would be in the NHL now but he's not because there is no room, it's the same reason Grunstrom got traded.

Hirose would get buried here.

He may not get a shot at the big club right away, but there are opportunities to get meaningful time with the Marlies. Looking at that forward group, there is space to make an impact on a very good offensive team.

Reactions: Kurtz

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Hirose can replace Ennis next year I think

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Matthews Kapanen
Marleau Petan Nylander
Hirose Gauthier Moore

Rielly Muzzin
Gardiner Duszak
Dermott Ogzhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hirose can replace Ennis next year I think

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Matthews Kapanen
Marleau Petan Nylander
Hirose Gauthier Moore

Rielly Muzzin
Gardiner Duszak
Dermott Ogzhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

#1 did you just kill off Kadri?

#2 Duszak in the top 4 is ridiculous

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
Tbf if someone has high skill I don't care how tall or how wide they are.

If you possibly have another gaudreau on your hands, you should take it.

Our best player is Marner and he aint big.
I 100% agree with you but I think the Marner being small narrative isn't really true anymore. He's atleast 6 foot and around 180lbz. Not a huge guy but not small by any stretch, especially in todays NHL

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I’ve seen JVR play like he’s 5’8.
I’m all about the aggression and will.

There's no denying that. But smaller like Marchand aren't the norm and players like Ennis can struggle against bigger opponents. So things being equal (meaning the skill and will) you take the bigger player. To be honest I was being tongue and cheek with my Smurf comment. I fully support the no stone unturned.

Reactions: Hotel Mario

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who are some of the other free players he's brought in?

Ennis looks like a good call, Lindholm not so much.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Nice little move with literally no risk. Not expecting him to become a superstar or anything but I don't see why anyone would be mad if we signed this guy
Some people will always moan especially if they hate Dubas or believe the contract should be offered to pure truculence on skates.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
LW where we are shallowest in depth at the forward positions. Can’t complain with this, size would be nice but not at the expense of actual talent

I'd take another Moore type in a heartbeat

Not the biggest but he's skilled, fast and willing to "get his nose dirty" on the forecheck

Reactions: Walshy7

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Taro Hirose, F, Michigan State

The 22-year-old junior left wing has an NCAA-high 50 points (15 goals, 35 assists) in 34 games, and leads all players with an average of 1.47 points per game. Hirose (5-10, 160) was born in Winnipeg but was raised in Calgary and models his game after Calgary Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau.
Hirose, who is regarded for his good speed, vision and quick hands, attended development camp with the Detroit Red Wings last summer and the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2017. He's a candidate for the Hobey Baker Award.

Source

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Our prospect depth is getting a little bit thin. At that point, you don't worry about fit or needs or anything. You acquire what talent you can, and hope that the process lands you a solid NHLer at some point.
Exactly it becomes a lottery. The more tickets you have the greater the chances out of fifty million that you will get a prize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad