Speculation: McKenzie suggests Nyquist or Tatar possible for Nashville

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Both are so streaky i find. Hard for either to consistently produce when your team lacks puck movers and play makers. 4 out of 5 shifts consist of defensemen banking the puck off the boards and into the neutral zone. Put them on a team that can transition the puck and their stats will actually reflect their talent .

I think Tatar more then Nyquist, but this is true. I think that has a lot to do with placement though. Nyquist for example playing on the 1st line against stud D with a 37 year old C is not the best fit for him. Imagine him playing in Pittsburgh next to Malkin on the second line. Guarantee his production goes way up. Please dont take this as a shot at Z, I love Z, but he isnt an elite 1C anymore.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Agreed. A young Z would make those players 30 goal guys no problem. We dont have the play makers to breed alot of offensive creativity, we have to grind it out for goals usually or wait for AA or Larkin to get open space and use their wheels.. some fresh legs on the back end and another playmaker up the middle would work wonders for us. Have to hope Holland shares the same thoughts and invests his picks in those areas.

Reactions: jkutswings and kliq

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think Tatar more then Nyquist, but this is true. I think that has a lot to do with placement though. Nyquist for example playing on the 1st line against stud D with a 37 year old C is not the best fit for him. Imagine him playing in Pittsburgh next to Malkin on the second line. Guarantee his production goes way up. Please dont take this as a shot at Z, I love Z, but he isnt an elite 1C anymore.
Yeah it’s almost like we have actual evidence that both can reach ~30 goals in the right situation.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I personally think it is time to move on from both Tatar and Nyquist. They both can score in bunches, but than go into long droughts where they really don't bring much value to the team. And while Nyquist has had a lot stronger effort in the past 30 games I think both players value which isn't super high in either case, is not going to get any higher and neither will be part of this team when we start to turn things around.

Reactions: kliq

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I have thought for awhile that Pittsburgh is the perfect location for one of the two. They switch into secondary scorers rather than lead the charge guys.

Reactions: kliq

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I wouldn't be sad to see either go. They are relatively soft players and both will likely be out of their prime by the time we are ready to make any noise. Let lil Bert and other young guys have a chance to audition.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Neither fits with where we are in the life cycle of this team. I like both, but it is time to move on from at least one of them.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The more I read the various speculation articles, the more I wonder if any forwards dealt at the deadline will be part of a domino market, set by either Rick Nash or Evander Kane (whichever is dealt first). It sounds like there will be only a handful of teams interested in adding a forward to begin with, so a lot of this may come down to how high (or low) the bar is set with the biggest names available, and then everybody else being slotted accordingly, with things either heating up if the market looks good, or fizzling out if the returns are uninspiring. Or if an unexpected event changes things, like a player that teams didn't think would be available suddenly gets dealt.

I wonder how many names deep each buyer's list goes, and whether there will even be more than just a few forwards dealt this month. Would be fun to be a fly on the wall for all those conversations...

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The more I read the various speculation articles, the more I wonder if any forwards dealt at the deadline will be part of a domino market, set by either Rick Nash or Evander Kane (whichever is dealt first). It sounds like there will be only a handful of teams interested in adding a forward to begin with, so a lot of this may come down to how high (or low) the bar is set with the biggest names available, and then everybody else being slotted accordingly, with things either heating up if the market looks good, or fizzling out if the returns are uninspiring. Or if an unexpected event changes things, like a player that teams didn't think would be available suddenly gets dealt.

I wonder how many names deep each buyer's list goes, and whether there will even be more than just a few forwards dealt this month. Would be fun to be a fly on the wall for all those conversations...

What other dominos do you see besides Kane and Nash?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Looks like OTT are without Ryan for some time. Wonder how desperate they might be to try and go for Tats or Nike?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wow, I promise I didn't see this until after I made my comments above, but apparently Bob McKenzie said the exact same thing (bold added by me):

Countdown to TradeCentre: Saturated rental market? - Article - TSN

"TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie was asked Monday morning what kind of return the Montreal Canadiens could get for centre Tomas Plekanec.

"McKenzie said it's a tough question to answer since the rental market hasn't been set yet, but he noted that an oversaturated market could drive down the cost of rentals.

"Short answer is I don’t know,” McKenzie told TSN Radio 690 Montreal. “We haven’t seen any rentals move here. And the rental market fluctuates year from year, and I haven’t sat down and gone through the previous years with a fine-tooth comb. But if anything, and I could be wrong on this, I’m going to guess that the rental prices are going to continue to drop, that rentals are not going to be as popular as they have been in the past.

“And I guess sometimes it’s just the basic law of supply and demand. But it sure seems like there are a lot of potential rentals out there, especially scoring wingers more so than checking or depth centres. I mean, Edmonton has got Mark Letestu, who could be in the same sort of conversation as a guy like Tomas Plekanec. I haven’t sat and gone through all of the teams to see what other guys might become available in that regard.

But the (Evander) Kane and Rick Nash rentals will probably drive the rental market in terms of setting a price. And right now the Sabres are looking for three elements - a first-round pick, a player off the roster, a prospect. I think that might be overly-ambitious. Because as we’ve talked about before, if you look at what Martin Hanzal did or didn’t do for the Minnesota Wild and the owner coming out afterward and saying, ‘I wish we hadn’t done that Martin Hanzal deal,’ I think with things being as tight as they are and teams not even guaranteed a playoff spot – are they going to give up a first-round pick and a prospect for a player and then potentially miss the playoffs. People usually don’t pay rental prices to get yourself into the playoffs; you do it to push yourself over the top if you think you can win the Cup, and that’s the rationale for giving up as much as teams like the Rangers and Buffalo, the asking price for those guys.

“So getting back to your original question on Plekanec, I don’t know. I would think it would probably just be a draft pick, but I don’t know which one. I’d be surprised if it’s a second-round pick, but I guess if there was a team that really felt they had a need and that Plekanec was the only guy that fit it somebody would, but that might be overly-ambitious on my end.

“And as I said before, I’ll be curious to see if Plekanec even moves.”

"Plekanec is not listed on the TSN Trade Bait board despite his expiring contract. The list does, however, feature two centres on expiring deals in Letestu and Derek Ryan. The market is flooded with left wingers with six pending free agents in the top 13, including Kane and Nash."

So maybe it's a game of wait and see what either Nash or Kane end up going for, but it's all the more reason I hope the Wings get a good return for Green, since forwards tend to be less valuable to begin with, and it looks like this year it might be an even larger discrepancy than usual. Unless Detroit happens to find a buyer who WANTS a scoring winger with term left on their deal. Or a team desperate for a guy like Glendening. We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad