McKenzie: Schremp tentatively on US roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is great news. Schremp should be on the team, and it looks like the U.S. brass is making the right decision. It's also good news that Fritsche's injury doesn't appear serious enough to keep him off the roster. :handclap:

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Seachd said:
Bob McKenzie was saying today that his sources told him Schremp now has the inside track to a spot on the US roster, although nothing's set in stone. Schremp has apparently really impressed the US execs, and they have him pencilled in.

Excellent news for team USA (and Oiler) fans, bad news for everyone else.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

That is great news for Schremp, he deserves to be on the team, why he wasn't there last year I have no idea, but I think this kids overlooked a lot. He is one hell of a player. :handclap:

Reilly311

Seachd said:
Oh. In that case, you should click on the link.

I did read it. I don't care what Bob says. I knew he couldn't go the entire article without mentioning canada.

Even if he's named to the team, if he isn't getting top 6 mins and ample power play time, he'll be ineffective.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Reilly311 said:
I did read it. I don't care what Bob says. I knew he couldn't go the entire article without mentioning Canada.

Not sure how that's relevant here.

Reilly311 said:
Even if he's named to the team, if he isn't getting top 6 mins and ample power play time, he'll be ineffective.

But what does that have to do with his wanting to be on the team, which he obviously does?

leafaholix*

From what I've seen and heard, Robbie wants to play for his country.

Don't post such crock about him not wanting to be there.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
I did read it. I don't care what Bob says. I knew he couldn't go the entire article without mentioning canada.
Oh really that was a real tragic thing considering he works for television network in.......oh that's right, Canada; with primarily Canadian viewers. :shakehead

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Reilly311 said:

Ever think about seeing a psychologist? Your pattern of thinking is hardly normal. Big time inferiority issues.

mooseOAK*

What is the big deal with Robbie Schremp anyway? Never has so much been made of a low first round pick.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
mooseOAK said:
What is the big deal with Robbie Schremp anyway? Never has so much been made of a low first round pick.

I think he went low beacuse a lot of teams didn't want to take him early due to some personal issue's but talent wise he was a top 10!!!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
mooseOAK said:

Basically he's living off of hype from 1.5-2 years ago when people were saying he was as good as Ovechkin and could go #1 overall in the 2004 draft. Fans are very slow to adjust previously formed opinions, whereas scouts get to view prospects much more extensively and hence can adjust to the present more rapidly. It's the same reason a huge deal was made of the fact that Dan Cleary kept getting cut from the Canadian WJC team: when he was 14 he got labelled the next Gretzky, and that label stuck on fans who didn't know any better. Whenever someone says "publications/scouts said that Schremp is as talented as anyone in the draft" I tend to wonder what they were reading or listening to, because apart from stuff written by unqualified people like posters here I never saw anything of the sort within a year of the draft.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Epsilon said:
Basically he's living off of hype from 1.5-2 years ago when people were saying he was as good as Ovechkin and could go #1 overall in the 2004 draft. Fans are very slow to adjust previously formed opinions, whereas scouts get to view prospects much more extensively and hence can adjust to the present more rapidly. It's the same reason a huge deal was made of the fact that Dan Cleary kept getting cut from the Canadian WJC team: when he was 14 he got labelled the next Gretzky, and that label stuck on fans who didn't know any better. Whenever someone says "publications/scouts said that Schremp is as talented as anyone in the draft" I tend to wonder what they were reading or listening to, because apart from stuff written by unqualified people like posters here I never saw anything of the sort within a year of the draft.

So the opinions of the scouts and the fans that are watching him every game isn't good enough? He was named to the top prospects game. He was the talk of that game. So living in BC, you're thinking you are more qualified to judge his effectivness then people in Ontario that see him all the time? You must be a hell of a potential scout to be able recognize weaknesses that will kill his game that people that are seeing him a lot more often are missing... ;)

I am not claiming to be an expert on Schremp since I am in Edmonton, so I listen to the experts watching him. We all do. I have never seen Ovechkin play live either but I trust that he is a very talented guy. What specific problems do you see? You have to at least admit he is effective, right?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
s7ark said:
So the opinions of the scouts and the fans that are watching him every game isn't good enough? He was named to the top prospects game. He was the talk of that game. So living in BC, you're thinking you are more qualified to judge his effectivness then people in Ontario that see him all the time? You must be a hell of a potential scout to be able recognize weaknesses that will kill his game that people that are seeing him a lot more often are missing... ;)

I am not claiming to be an expert on Schremp since I am in Edmonton, so I listen to the experts watching him. We all do. I have never seen Ovechkin play live either but I trust that he is a very talented guy. What specific problems do you see? You have to at least admit he is effective, right?

I'm not saying anything. The fact that he went in the first round of the NHL draft speaks to him being a solid prospect. But I keep hearing stuff from posters (mostly either Oiler fans or US-based posters) about how "everyone ackowledged Schremp was a top 3 talent in the draft" when I can't think of a specific reputable source that claimed that. However Alexander Radulov, who one American poster assured me "was not even close to as talented as Schremp" (or something along those lines), was at least rated as such by one source that can actually be identified by name (Redline). If people hadn't been hyping him for years prior to the draft, he would have simply been another name in a list of offensive players (Radulov, Zajac, Wolski, etc.) that got picked in the middle of the 1st round. But because he was in some video with Gretzky when he was a pre-teen and his name has been around for a while, he's supposed to be at the same level as Ovechkin and Malkin?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:
I'm not saying anything. The fact that he went in the first round of the NHL draft speaks to him being a solid prospect. But I keep hearing stuff from posters (mostly either Oiler fans or US-based posters) about how "everyone ackowledged Schremp was a top 3 talent in the draft" when I can't think of a specific reputable source that claimed that. However Alexander Radulov, who one American poster assured me "was not even close to as talented as Schremp" (or something along those lines), was at least rated as such by one source that can actually be identified by name (Redline). If people hadn't been hyping him for years prior to the draft, he would have simply been another name in a list of offensive players (Radulov, Zajac, Wolski, etc.) that got picked in the middle of the 1st round. But because he was in some video with Gretzky when he was a pre-teen and his name has been around for a while, he's supposed to be at the same level as Ovechkin and Malkin?

Well, first of all, I wouldn't use Redline as an accurate guage of Schremp's talent as they exhibited a clear agenda against him. Woodlief had been riding his nuts for two years. Schremp was rated as a top five talent by several publications, and I'll look over my notes to post the links later today. His stock fell because of questions about his personality/attitude, and ability to mesh with a team concept. Thus, he fell to the Oilers in the later portion of the 1st round. Since it's clear that Schremp has been making significant strides to improve his deficiencies, it's obvious to me at least, that they got a steal.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Either way, its very good news for Team USA and Schremp, if this is true, should be a huge key to helping the team try to defends its title at home.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Epsilon said:
However Alexander Radulov, who one American poster assured me "was not even close to as talented as Schremp" (or something along those lines), was at least rated as such by one source that can actually be identified by name (Redline).

But are you talking talent or rankings?

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Bottom line, Edmonton got a huge steal at 25. If no personal issues being blown up in the media he'd be top 5 for sure maybe 3rd.

Oh yeah, did I mention I get to see this kid play over 45 times this year :p: :handclap:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mooseOAK said:
But he slipped to #25 in a draft with not a lot of talent, which makes me wonder.

The reasons Schremp dropped in the draft have been discussed ad nauseum. Do a search and save us the trouble of rehashing the topic.

Last edited:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
trahans99 said:
Bottom line, Edmonton got a huge steal at 25. If no personal issues being blown up in the media he'd be top 5 for sure maybe 3rd.

Oh yeah, did I mention I get to see this kid play over 45 times this year :p: :handclap:

Please answer this (since you see him play a lot): How good would Schremp be if he wasn't playing with Perry & Hunter? Who's feeding off of who on this line? Stats aren't everything but why is it that those 2 have more points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->