McKenzie: Questions surround Schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
This Bob McKenzie is great! On top of being knowlegable, his articles are EXTREMELY well written. He has quickly become one of my favorite sports journalists.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
I think MacKenzie really hit the nail on the head. While there are questions out there about Schremp's character, he comes off as a decent guy in interviews and teammates always have good things to say about him. No doubt, he has the talent to be one of the top players to come out of this draft class. We'll just have to wait and see which team will be the one to see through the controversy and take a chance on him. I would love to see him fall to the Islanders.

Great article by the best in the business.

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
The only question surrounding Schremp is his maturity.

The answer, he's 18!!

His talent should be the major decision maker on draft day. The problem is that NHL GM's (as well as in all sports) overthink the draft process. There are too many tests. The main thing they should worry about is whether or not a prospect has the talent to become a major leaguer.

Trying to get into a teenager's head IMO is pointless. Plus, it gives me a headache.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Well something like maturity is not necessarily taught either. Just look at what our arbitrators of taste are waxing us with.

db23

JNRhockeyGURU said:
This Bob McKenzie is great! On top of being knowlegable, his articles are EXTREMELY well written. He has quickly become one of my favorite sports journalists.

:dunno: He has been in the business for about 30 years.

AlterEgo

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Here's a vote for Schremp's character. When my son was at Select 15's, he just happened to sit down next to Schremp or vice versa to watch tv. Said that Schremp was probably the nicest guy he met, unlike many with lesser talent.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
db23 said:
:dunno: He has been in the business for about 30 years.

so??????? i don't normally pay attention to the name atop an article...i was just stating that i've been noticing this guy a lot and i like what i've been reading by him! you seem to pick apart a lot of peoples posts db23....

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
AlterEgo said:
Here's a vote for Schremp's character. When my son was at Select 15's, he just happened to sit down next to Schremp or vice versa to watch tv. Said that Schremp was probably the nicest guy he met, unlike many with lesser talent.

Yes, but did your son tell him to change the channel? And if so, how did he take that? Did he walk out of the room? :snide:

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Schremp

My friend played on Mississuaga with Schremp and said he was the nicest guy on the team. they still talk all the time and the general consensus was that he was a well liked team guy.

On the other hand Patrick O'Sullivan was hated by most, he was cocky, arrogant and was always getting in fights with teammates during games and practices.

O'Sullivan cannot be completely blamed as we later found out about his off-ice troubles.

Hopefully he turns it all around because he is one hell of a hockey player.

As for Robbie he's gonna be a star.

Artie

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal, Que
Visit site
Draftman said:
The only question surrounding Schremp is his maturity.

The answer, he's 18!!

His talent should be the major decision maker on draft day. The problem is that NHL GM's (as well as in all sports) overthink the draft process. There are too many tests. The main thing they should worry about is whether or not a prospect has the talent to become a major leaguer.

Trying to get into a teenager's head IMO is pointless. Plus, it gives me a headache.

Well yes and no. While his talent should be the major consideration, you cannot ignore things like maturity and character. Lack of the 2 aforementioned traits has led to the demise of many a so called can't miss careers. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case with Schremp because I do not know the kid. However as part of the process you have look at the total package. If I recall, one of the biggest problems the Habs had with their slew of picks from the WHL during the Serge Savard era, was that they didn't interview the prospects. I'm not saying that the findings from these interviews should be the decision making information, but you can gather some ideas about a persons work ethic, personality, attititudes etc. At the end of the day talent in the wrong package is talent wasted.( see Alexandre Daigle )

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's some info on Schremp that was posted this morning:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7052&mode=threaded&order=0

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7051&mode=threaded&order=0

People can believe what they want, but these articles indicate a few things:

1) Schremp is far from being out of shape.
2) He is apparently well liked by his teammates, who have been given every opportunity to rip him. but haven't.
3) He lives to play hockey.
4) He and his agent believe they have valid reasons for requesting a trade from Mississauga.

Schremp seems like to me to be a kid whose priority is becoming a professional hockey player. Nothing else matters, and it remains to be seen if he's taken the correct path to reach his goal. I think people are going to be surprised at how high he's picked though.

hockeyglove

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Shremp and Hunter

If the biggest knock on Schremp is the fact that Dale Hunter sat him in the final game against Guelph, I wouldn't be too concerned about it if I were an NHL GM. Dale Hunter was the one who looked rather sheepish when the Knights lost the game, the series and a chance at the Memorial Cup.

Just Joshin'

Mar 11, 2004
The Sporting News Mock Draft gave Schremp a good writeup saying that he was the "most gifted offensive player behind Ovechkin...has no lack of confidence or swagger." Like other have mentioned, his age plays the biggest part regarding his attitude. But IMO that's not necessarily bad for a young player. It's that attitude (or confidence) that got him to this point in his career, and it is what will make him a great player in the future. I don't think that Schremp will allow his bad attitude to prevent him from getting to the NHL.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2487576

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
My friend played on Mississuaga with Schremp and said he was the nicest guy on the team. they still talk all the time and the general consensus was that he was a well liked team guy.

On the other hand Patrick O'Sullivan was hated by most, he was cocky, arrogant and was always getting in fights with teammates during games and practices.

O'Sullivan cannot be completely blamed as we later found out about his off-ice troubles.

Hopefully he turns it all around because he is one hell of a hockey player.

As for Robbie he's gonna be a star.
who's your friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad